Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Spring Break Fun and a Running Update

You know you are a little worn out from Spring Break when you fall asleep sitting up at your desk... while reading papers... and in the middle of a conversation with several children. Yeah - I am a little tired.

We didn't have the funds to go anywhere too exciting for Spring Break, but we did make the most of it and had a lot of fun. We left on Friday morning and drove to Utah. We spent two nights in a nice hotel (three rooms!) and we ate at restaurants, swam in the hotel pool, shopped a little, saw a movie, and spent a full day at an amusement park. Sunday was my Destinee's 16th birthday, so we had fun celebrating that too. I woke her up at 6am on her birthday with a new phone and some bakery treats and she is having a big party this weekend.

It was a lot of family fun, lots of laughs, and lots of good times. Having ALL of us together is my favorite thing and I know that as the kids get older, these opportunities are fleeting.

The amusement park was great! The weather was chilly and the park was EMPTY. I think the longest we waited on line was less than five minutes. I rode all of the big roller coasters with the kids. :)

Here are some pics (and there is a running update after the pics).
Noah loved, loved, loved, LOVED the pool

We know how to fill a hotel pool!
Marcus!

Mermaid Maggie
Scared selfie!!! Nate and I in a haunted house. :)

Shorty picked the "Ethiopia lion" to ride. Shorty also rode EVERY giant roller coaster. This kid has NO fear.

Josh and Noah

Noah, Josh, Amanda and Marcus
This pic cracks me up. All the kids decided to go with Noah on the little kiddy roller coaster.
Noah and Marcus. Noah liked these cars ok, but he REALLY liked the fast go-carts he rode with Josh!
Shane, Josh, and Ryan did the Superman swing. They got pulled up almost to the top of those two poles and then dropped and swung back and forth.
Flying overhead!
Destinee and her chicken and waffles that she wanted for breakfast. :) I love Shane's photobomb.
It was a fun weekend, and completely worth the MOUNTAINS of laundry I had once we got home.

Running update - Running is going well!! I had my final appointment with the orthopedic doc and he was super happy with how the foot has healed and gave me the green light to raise the bar with my training (no limitations) as long as I was careful and smart about building things back up. Ray is being very cautious and smart with how we are moving forward and I am trusting him. The feet are not 100% but are really close. There is no discomfort, pain, or soreness at all on any of my runs. After the longer runs they are a little bit stiff later that day if I sit for a long time and a little bit sore to massage, but they are recovering quickly and feeling normal again the next morning. They are recovering more quickly each week, and the strength feels back to normal in the left foot and leg. I am still doing all of my PT exercises.

My mileage is still low for me (52 last week, 58ish this week) but I am feeling good and feeling more and more like myself all the time. Being patient and smart is paying off. I am enjoying every run, but I had two awesome runs last week. I ran a 10 miler at 7:29 average pace, with two 2-mile tempo sections. I ran the tempo miles in 6:58, 6:47 and 6:38, 6:34. The whole run felt amazing. Then on Sunday morning, while we were in Utah, I headed out for 12 miles. Ray had said to pick up the effort and pace a little for the second half if I was feeling good. I headed out with my Garmin and a vague idea of where I was going to go. I ended up running some BIG hills... twice I saw signs with 12% grade! I couldn't believe how strong and good I felt on those uphills. Then I turned around and had a blast running down the way I had come... sort of...! I ended up getting lost somehow and my 12 miler turned into a 14 miler. But I made it back to the hotel without worrying Josh (I went out super early so I could be back before the family got up each morning).

Tomorrow morning I get to go to the track! I haven't been on the track since November because of snow and the injury. I am not doing anything crazy but it will be great to be out there and doing a little bit of faster running. I will update again soon.

And now I am off to get some much needed sleep!

3 comments:

fancy nancy said...

The logistics of a family vacation with your family must be staggering! I'm glad you were able to all get away and have a blast!!!

coach dion said...

did they give you a family discount?

No I'm still on low mileage... I max out at 60miles a week... and this will be 3 week in a low and I need to cut back!!!

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

I'm so happy to hear you are healing up well. Sounds like a fun spring break!