Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Follow Your Bliss

"When you follow your bliss, doors will open where you would not have thought there would be doors; and where there wouldn't be a door for anyone else." - Joseph Campbell

This is one of my new very favorite quotes.  Ray has sent me a few really awesome articles on running and training by John Kellogg, and the above quote was included in one of them. I love it

Bliss = perfect happiness/great joy.

Obviously Josh, our kids, my faith, our families, and my closest friends bring me bliss, (ok, and peanut butter!) :) and are the most important parts of my life and my heart.

But to me, this quote is talking about your own personal bliss. The part that isn't based on anyone else, but comes from within. It is a bliss that you find inside yourself... something that excites you, something that pushes and stretches you to be better, something that lights a fire within you, something that makes you feel alive... something that is your own personal passion.

I believe that we were all born with our own unique God-given passions, talents, and "bliss". For some people it is music, or art, or baking, or football, or dancing, or soccer, or sewing, or gymnastics, or swimming, or painting, or computers, or writing, or so many other possibilities. For me it is running. I also believe that we are supposed to pursue our gifts and talents. I believe we need to make the most of them, work hard to cultivate them, and use them for our own good and for the good of others.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” - Howard Thurman

It is absolutely true that since I started running and coaching, that doors have opened for me where I never would have thought there would be doors. I have met people and had many opportunities and experiences that I never could have even imagined. It is sad to think of all that I would have missed out on if I had never started to run or to pursue it the way that I have. Running definitely helped me to come alive, and to become a better version of me.

It is a beautiful idea - Follow your bliss, and find those doors that are ready to open only for you.

7 comments:

coach dion said...

Yesterday I was thinking: it's a pity I'm the coach and therefore have to be at the session and well run the session, (I was thinking that an easy run would be 'bliss') I did a session of 4 x 1 mile, and guess what it was bliss, I loved it...

misszippy said...

So true. I'm a big believer in following your path and doing what you love…the rest then falls into place!

nancyhbarlow said...

I don't think I could love this post most more. I needed this today! XOXO

Jennifer Graham said...

Fun fact about Joseph Campbell: When critics complained about his preoccupation with bliss, he once said, "I should have said, follow your blisters." That works for us runners, too!

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hi Erin. I so needed this today. I have a marathon on Saturday and I was hoping to BQ, but I was injured 2 weeks ago. I have been debating whether to even try to run. But when it comes down to it, running is my bliss. I want to be in a new place and experience it with my feet. It is probably not going to be the race I envisioned but I still want to go for it. Thanks for sharing your passion with all of us. You are inspiring!

HalfCrazed Runner said...

I must have said the very same thing yesterday 100 times at a health fair.

Annie Crow said...

This is great, thanks for the post.

I'm coming back to your blog after a self-imposed internet break so am only just finding out about Houston and your injury. I am so sorry about both! I have been injured as well (no running for 4 weeks now) and it is inspiring to read your posts since your injury. (I like the funnies too.) It was defnitely been a fruitful time to reflect on the role running has in my life and my goals. And to read inspiring running books.

Good luck with your return to training and I'm excited to see where you go from here.