Thursday, March 27, 2014

Updates, Pics, and Votes

I saw this quote and really liked it! I mentioned in my last post that I get accused of being "crazy" often (usually when I tell someone how many kids we have or when someone asks about how much I run).  It used to bother me when people would say, "You are crazy!" but now I take it as a compliment. :)


Running update - Running is going well! With Ray's guidance I have been slowly and carefully building the mileage back up. I have had two runs with some uptempo miles in them (an 8 miler on Saturday and then a 10 miler yesterday). I averaged 7:42 pace on Saturday and just felt amazing from start to finish. I ran yesterday's 10 miler on a hillier route and averaged 8:07, with the last three miles in the 7:15-7:30 range. We are being careful about not stressing out the feet too much and are easing back into things and rebuilding my base/fitness, so I am not running very fast yet but I was happy to run a little faster and to hit double digits yesterday.

The cast has been off for three weeks now and I have been running again for just over two weeks. The strength in the left foot and leg is feeling just about 100%. It is hard sometimes to not be frustrated with being slower than I was or to be running so much less, but on the flip side I am so grateful and happy to be running again and I know I just need to be patient and smart and I will get back to where I was (and beyond!)

For awhile there I was feeling pretty down on myself, a little burnt out, frustrated, and a lot of doubt. Lately, I feel like a big weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I am feeling excited and confident about my running again. I feel like the pieces are all coming together. It is a really good feeling. I love this sport and love being a part of it.

Family Life - It was my birthday on Monday (37!) and we had a fun family weekend. We went on a short day trip to Idaho and stopped to have "world famous square ice cream" and then played at a big play ground in gorgeous sunshine, had some dinner, and got back home in time to take pictures of my oldest son (who went to his senior prom that night!!!!)

Here are some pics.
Amanda and Marcus
Noah and Ben - yes, Ben's hair is out of control. He likes it.
Mercades and Noah
Shorty and Maggie
Amanda and Belane :)

These two were QUITE proud of their pile of plates. Yes, those were all theirs. Salad, pasta, pizza, dessert. Yikes. :)
Road trip selfie! Four of the older kids had plans for the day so we "only" had 8 kids in the Henderson party van! :)
Nathan and his prom date. :)  Parents of little ones - don't blink. Just a moment ago he was a baby.
Shameless plea for votes -  I don't normally participate in things that require you to ask for votes in social media, but someone nominated me for the Greatest Women's Running Blog contest on Salty Running. It is set up like the Sweet 16 college basketball tournament bracket and so to "stay in" I have to win round one. You can vote for me until tomorrow. It takes just a few seconds. You can vote here. Thanks!

8 comments:

Mark Matthews said...

You got my vote! Salty Running is a great blog, and I only voted for the ones I follow, and yours was tops on the list since it is personal and inspiring.

Amy Lauren said...

Happy belated birthday! It looks like you had a great time, and I'm glad you're running again and back in the double digits. That's great progress since getting the cast off.

Off to vote for you.

Cheryl said...

Of course, you have my vote. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Erica Gorman said...

Happy belated birthday and voted! Good luck!

Erica Gorman said...

Happy belated birthday and voted! Good luck!

Diana Martinez said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

The Unexpected Runner said...

awwww....such a cute prom pic! My oldest has his next month.

Glad you are feeling better!

Matthew @ Lasik for Your Surgeon said...

Awesome!