Tuesday, March 18, 2014

On the Road Again!

Let me just say that there is nothing like starting the day off with a run, especially when that run is OUTSIDE and not on the treadmill.

I have been running every day again since my first run back, a week ago today! The last three days I have done five-milers and tomorrow I get to bump it up to six miles. All of the runs right now are just at easy pace, so I am not running very far or very fast yet, but that is ok because I am RUNNING and this left foot of mine is not hurting at all.

I stayed on the treadmill for Thursday's run and again on Friday morning, but when Ray had me do two miles on Friday afternoon and it was gorgeous outside with sunshine and blue skies, I asked (begged) to get the green light to run outside. It was awesome. Since then I have done all of my running outside... even this morning when it was 12 degrees and snowing.

At first my left leg felt really weak and a little "uneven" but the strength has come back really quickly. I have been doing all of the exercises the PT gave me twice a day. A week ago single leg hops (forward and backward) were almost impossible on the left leg, and now they are no problem. Progress is exciting!

I am still REALLY liking the Newton's. The feel super comfortable on my feet, and are just the perfect blend of cushioned and supportive, yet light and fast. And inside the shoes they say "Hello Better" which just makes me smile right now.

Women's Newton Distance S III
I feel more like myself every day. I am back to waking up EARLY (4:30am this week, although it will be 4:00-4:15 once the mileage increases). I am sleeping much more soundly at night. The headaches are gone. My whole body just feels HAPPY and better.

I know I still have to be patient and smart and I have a long way to go to be running high mileage, training hard, and racing fast, but I am on my way, and THAT is exciting.

Here are two of my new favorite quotes (Thank you Ray!)

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be.  Now put the foundations under them." ~ Henry David Thoreau

"Diligence is the mother of good fortune." – Cervantes

We had a little fun here for St. Patrick's Day. I have always loved St. Paddy's day, as it marks one week to my birthday, my favorite color is green, and my name is Erin! (I am only about a quarter Irish). 

I made gluten-free Irish Soda Bread -
Not as good as the one I usually make, but still yummy and it didn't last long. :)
  A "leprechaun" died our milk green -
It was half gone before I was able to get a picture. They are quick!
Yeah, yeah... I know it is kind of gross looking but the kids LOVED it. Even the teenagers. This was the 16 year-old's breakfast.  :)


And I wore my new favorite hoodie. :)

It says "Kiss Me! I'm an Erin"
All the kids dressed in green too... even the African and Asian ones. :)

So far March is being a pretty great month. And YAY for spring officially starting this week!

I did get a little sad when I looked up my number for the Boston Marathon and saw that it is bib #9559. That's a cool number! But I can honestly say I am past the disappointment of missing out on Boston this year. This injury and the struggles surrounding it have all put my running and training on a new path, and it is one I am feeling really excited, hopeful, and confident about.

3 comments:

Amy Lauren said...

So glad to read such a positive post- I'm glad you're running again and even have new shoes. I'm not a fan of Newton's shoes, but I do love their slogan of "Hello, Better". Your new hoodie is cute too and I love how you dyed the milk green for St Pat's.

Happy running and recovery!

coach dion said...

Bet the guys were Q-ing up to Kiss you...

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Glad you are back to running outside! nothing beats that feeling does it :)