Thursday, March 6, 2014

OFF

Cast is OFF!!

My countdown ended up being pretty darn accurate. I got to the appointment ten minutes early, they had me come right back, and the cast was off by 10:04am.


The assistant who took the cast off actually asked me if I was getting another cast put on today, and I guess the look of horror on my face answered his question because he started to laugh and say, "Ok... never mind."

First pic of TWO feet :) Don't mind the purple toenails - I am always cold.  
The cast came off quickly and easily and the orthopedic surgeon/doctor came right in. He poked around, did a few strength tests, and asked how it felt, and said he is pretty confident that it healed well.  He told me to do PT for a week or so to strengthen and loosen it up before trying to run, and then to ease back into running slowly.

Those first steps walking felt so strange, and my calf and my Achilles are TIGHT. I went right over to the physical therapist office once the cast was off. Ray (coach) and Dan (PT) both think that if I can tweak my form a little and land less on my forefoot and more on my midfoot that it will take some stress off of my posterior tibial tendons. Originally the plan was for the PT to let me run super short on the treadmill in a few different pairs of shoes today to see which seemed to work the best (and if any helped my stride a little). Since the calf and Achilles were so tight though we decided not to even try to run at all today. The PT did some e-stym, massage, stretching and strength exercises and things felt a lot better after that.

The foot feels weak to me, and the calf and Achilles are still tight, although things feel better and better the more I move around. The spot that was super sore (where the tendon tear was) is not tender at all, so that is a really good sign. My lower left leg is a little "shrunken" but not as bad as I imagined. I have some strengthening exercises and stretches to do for the next few days and then I will go back to the PT on Tuesday and if things are feeling good I will do a short run with him on the treadmill (and will try out a few pair of shoes).

The PT and doctor both practically begged me to not do too much too soon. I promised I would behave, because truly, no one wants this to heal and rehab more than I do. I am going to be smart and patient. 

So I am not quite running yet, but my leg is FREE from the evil cast and project rehab has officially started.

12 comments:

Gracie said...

Yay! Cast is off! Happy for you! Take it easy and eat plenty of protein so your muscles can rebuild well.

coach dion said...

one step at a time...

Natalie R. said...

Woooooo Hooooo! Awesome, glad you have your leg back!

The Jackster said...

Congrats Erin... Take your time. So proud of you!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

YAY, now take it easy for a bit!, why does that have to be so hard?

L.A. Runner said...

Man, I just want to know how bad it stunk in there and how hairy that leg was! HAhaahah!!!!! I was in a hateful boot for 6 weeks years ago. (Luckily, I could take it off for pool workouts and to shower/shave.) I found similar symptoms as you once I was boot-free, weakness and overall "weirdness" of the leg, sometimes like it wasn't even attached. (Yeah, that's nuts, I know.) Anyway, I found that a hot whirlpool was excellent for loosening things up. I know these are hard to come by...

Anyway, so glad you are on the up and up. I know you're looking forward to getting back out there soon. Hang tough, girl.

misszippy said...

Awesome! Now's where patience will pay off…take it easy. Do some walks--I found that was a great way to introduce load on my tendons pre-running. Enjoy your freedom!

Christina said...

Yay!!! I just know you will be back to your strong runs soon! That is curious about changing form up so you land midfoot,. RW keeps putting out articles lately about how pronation and foot strike might not matter too much after all, so hopefully that will apply here!

pat said...

Yay! :)

Loren said...

Woohoo!! Let the fun begin!

Cheryl said...

So happy for you! Slow and steady....

HalfCrazed Runner said...

Happy to hear the cast is off. Take it slow - build some strength and balance.