Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I ran! I ran! I ran!!!!!

I don't know if anyone has ever, in the history of running, been so excited about a couple of slow miles, but I RAN!!! I ran about a mile (stop and go, changing shoes, etc.) with the physical therapist yesterday, and I ran two miles this morning at home on the treadmill. Here are the details! :)

Yesterday I had a PT appointment in the afternoon. We started with a bunch of dynamic warmups and exercises. While my left leg is definitely a bit weaker still than the right leg, the PT could already see a difference from last Thursday he and said it is toning up nicely. We tested balance and strength and it was better than expected. Then I got to run!!

I brought a few different kinds of shoes (more on that in a minute) and I tried a few out. The PT video-taped me running and slowed it down to analyze my stride and see which shoes seemed to work the best for me. Ray (my coach) and Dan (PT) both think I need to run a little less on my toes/forefoot and more on my midfoot, and think that tweak to my form will help take some of the stress off of my posterior tibial tendon.  Here are a couple of quick video clips we took for Ray -





It was a slow (check your ego at the door) 8:34 pace and it was only a mile, but dang did it make me smile. I was "aware" of the foot for the first quarter mile or so. There wasn't any pain, but it was a little stiff I think. But after that I didn't notice it at all. More smiles. :)

Afterwards we did a bunch more strengthening exercises and I will go back for another appointment on Thursday. Dan is the best.

Dan gave me "permission" to run short today, as long as Ray was ok with that too. Ray gave the ok to do two miles this morning, but wanted me to take 1-2 minute walk breaks after every half mile. So that is what I did this morning. I left the treadmill at 7.0 as ordered and did 2.5 miles total, with two miles of running and a half a mile of walking mixed in. Dan and Ray both want me on the treadmill for now since it is a cushioned and even surface, and since I can stop right away if anything feels off or starts to hurt.

Tomorrow I get to bump it up to three miles with 1 minute walks every half mile, starting a little slower than 8:34 and finishing a little bit faster than the 8:34. Obviously we are taking it day by day right now and seeing how things feel. I am cautiously excited though that things have felt good so far!! I am still doing lots of conditioning and strengthening exercises too and those will continue.

I am super grateful for Ray and Dan guiding me through this.

Shoes - If you can tell from the video, I am running in Newtons. These are the women's Newton Distance S 111. They are a light shoe, 2mm heel to toe drop, with a little bit of stability. I am used to running in lightweight, low drop shoes with some cushioning. I pronate slightly, and Dan and Ray both think a little support/structure will help my posterior tibial tendon. I had a very fast friend recommend these (knowing my injury, etc.) and they are one of a few different pairs of shoes I got to try with Dan. We also tried the different shoes with and without some insoles designed for runners. As of right now, the Newton's, without the extra insoles, feel the best and seem to help me be more midfoot and less on my toes, so that is what I am going with. Running in them so far has felt very natural and comfortable. (And I know color doesn't matter but I love the blue).

I was excited to get the sponsorship offer from Pearl Izumi, but I had to back out since the shoes just weren't working for me. What matters the most to me is being able to run and being injury free. I do really like the Pearl Izumi line, they just weren't quite what I needed.

So, I am running again! It is short and it is slow, but that's ok. Laying out my running clothes and shoes made me so happy last night. I felt like me again. I am anxious to get back to 100%, but I am going to listen to my coach and my PT and be smart about this so I can come back stronger and faster than ever. So far so good. :)

19 comments:

Kristin Miller said...

Congratulations!!! Keep up the good work, listen to those smart people, and you'll be well on your way to bigger and better things!!!

MCM Mama said...

Woohoo! Fingers crossed that everything keeps going well and that you are back to your normal running soon.

Healthy Ambitions said...

Yay!!!! Congrats! Wish you all the best!

greengirlrunning said...

Yay yay yay!!! SO happy you're running again! :)

Gracie said...

Oh good! It sounds like these guys are really taking care of you. That's always reassuring.

Cheryl said...

Great!

Nicole said...

Yay, so happy to read this!

pat said...

yay! :)

Kayla said...

Awesome!!

sschneringer said...

You may be checking your ego at the door, but I would be thrilled to run an 8:34 mile. Enjoy your "slow" runs while you can ;-)

fancy nancy said...

Yay!!! So excited for you!!

Christina said...

Yay!!! So happy for you! I hope the shoes will be a good fit for a long time as well. I know how frustrating it can be to have "shoe drama" :)

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

yay! Great news, hope you continue to progress awesomely :)

heatherhamiltonrunner said...

Good news to hear and hope things keep getting better and better for you! I'm sure it's nice to have that part of your day back. Randomly, Doug took a closer look at me running last Saturday and also recommended trying the Newtons. I had never even heard of them. Arrived today; we'll see how the first run in them goes. I'm open to all possibilities in regards to working the kinks out! Take care.

Rene' said...

That is such exciting news. Good luck wit the Newtons. I started wearing the Gravity 2 years ago to help me land more mid foot and I have never looked back. I think that you will like the Distance.

Pandora Viltis said...

I love Newton shoes. I haven't tried the new Distance S yet, but I'm currently using the Distance Elites and last year's Distance shoes. They are great for some trouble I was having with the joint in my second metatarsal getting pounded too much.

Yay that you're running again!

Aunt Melissa said...

Awesome! Keep it up!

Natalie R. said...

Woo Hoo! Sorry about Boston, but there are more to come!

L.A. Runner said...

Just build it back, one mile at a time... just like a house, one brick at a time. :)