Thursday, February 13, 2014

Laughter is the best medicine

20 days, 19 hours and some minutes until this cast comes off. Heck yes I am counting.

One of the great ladies I coach has been sending me funnies as a "daily dose of laughter medicine".  She is right, laughter is great medicine. Here are two of the pics that have made me laugh, for those of you who are also injured out there, or for anyone who has been injured, here you go. :)

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
Seriously. I am anti-violence, but.... Patience = gone. Irritability factor = sky high.

 I think I have said this exact phrase to a few of my teenagers multiple times.
I am getting better at hopping/sliding/limping/crutches and when to use which option to get where I need to go.  (Stairs - sliding, short distances - limping, long distances - crutches). My doc gave me one of those leg condom thingys so showering is fine. I am feeling less completely exhausted and utterly frustrated all the time with how long it takes to do everything. The "not running" headaches are a little better too.

So far two things have been decided for sure. The first is, I won't be running Boston. I will have six weeks once the cast comes off before Boston. If everything heals perfectly and I really push it, I am sure I can get in good enough shape to finish the 26.2 miles. But it won't be a great race (time wise) and at this time I just know it isn't smart to push it. I want to come back smartly, strongly, and completely. I don't want the pressure of a super close race causing me to push harder than I should with this recovery, and I want my next marathon to be AWESOME. The last 9 months or so have been really rough with my running and it's time to end this chapter and start a new one. There will be some shorter races in late spring/summer and then a fall marathon.

The other thing decided is that for the next 20 days 19 hours and something minutes I am not going to stress out about cardio. I can't pool run with the cast. I can't elliptical.  I can't do anything that would require the foot to flex. The only thing I really might be able to do is the bike, but the cast doesn't fit on the pedal well and there are concerns that riding it with the cast on could cause some muscle imbalances (so would do more harm than good). So I am doing my core and upper-body work daily, and besides that, I am resting. Just resting. I know my fitness will take a hit, but I also know it will come back, and that this break will do me good in the big picture of my running.

Ok, more soon.

Have any funnies to share with me?

6 comments:

Pandora Viltis said...

When I had a foot injury (albeit no cast), one cardio exercise I did was the rowing machine. It's a great workout and might be easier on your foot.

Gracie said...

I did a ton of ab workouts when I was injured - everything I did hurt my leg. But maybe you could do squat sets? You should be able to keep your foot stable.

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I have been doing a lot of work on my upper body and core since I got injured last year, it gets better, remember the big picture!

misszippy said...

From a runner who has made the mistake of trying to come back with a race deadline looming, smart move to ditch Boston. It is totally not worth it. And also smart just to rest/do upper body work. I've also delayed healing by trying to keep in some sort of shape before. You WILL come back strong!

Cathrin said...

Maybe this will cheer you up:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/things-to-keep-in-mind-if-youre-having-a-bad-day

HalfCrazed Runner said...

Someone once told me if I had a broken leg, I'd still run. I'm feeling your frustration. I run so I'm literally only half crazed. This week I watched some I Love Lucy on YouTube for a pick-me-up. Hope that helps?