Thursday, February 6, 2014

Confession

I have been quiet the last week because I have been hurting.

Today I went to the orthopedist and it looks like I am dealing with either some posterior tibial tendonitis, or a navicular stress fracture.

I have an MRI tomorrow and then we should know for sure.

My feet both starting hurting about half way through the Houston Marathon, with the left one hurting more than the right. After the race it hurt to walk (which I have never had happen before). I took a few days off and then I just ran short and slow. On those days my feet were sore for the first half mile or so and then loosened up and felt fine. The right foot got to the point that I wasn't feeling it all, but the left foot didn't.

Then last Friday I went to run and the left foot hurt. More than it had before. It didn't loosen up and I knew it was stupid to push it so I stopped after less than half a mile and took a rest day. On Saturday (two weeks after Houston) I was able to run 12 miles and after the first mile or so the foot felt decent. Then on Sunday it hurt again so I took another rest day. Monday I ran 8 miles and felt good, Tuesday it hurt A LOT and felt different than the previous days, so I stopped right away and I started to worry that something significant was wrong. Yesterday and today I didn't even try to run, I have just rested.

It is misery to try and hop on it, but walking doesn't bother it much. 

I got into the new sports orthopedic doc here this morning and he was wonderful. SO MUCH BETTER than the jerk I saw in the summer (who basically told me that runners were dumb and I should stop running if running made my feet hurt). The new doc literally said, "I can see that you run a lot and that it is really important to you so we are going to get you back to running healthy and strong."

I told him that from the way it was acting I was worried it was a navicular stress fracture and he agreed with where and how it was hurting that it could be. It also looked like maybe some posterior tibial tendonitis. The x-rays looked normal, but a navicular stress fracture often doesn't show up on an x-ray. I went in there ready to fight for a CT scan or MRI if the x-ray was normal, but right away he said we should do an MRI and I didn't even have to ask. He said it should show us for sure what is going on.

We talked a little about physical therapy, etc. but right now are just waiting to get a solid diagnosis and then make a plan.

It is looking like racing in Boston in 10 1/2 weeks is highly unlikely. I haven't made any decisions but I am trying to be realistic and smart. Plane tickets are already bought, I have a trip planned with friends and family, and I have been so excited to be a part of the Boston Marathon this year. Depending on how things go with my foot, (if it is some tendonitis that two weeks off will help) I may just go and run it easy with my friend, or may just go and cheer on my friends, although it's tough to justify being away from Josh and the kids during Easter if I am not racing in Boston and I won't do anything that would set me back. I will have to make some decisions in the next week or two, although right now it seems like my body is telling me I need a break. 

Mentally I am trying not to be too down and discouraged. I KNOW that I will get past this and that the break might even do me good in the big picture and that I will be back to training and racing and doing what I love in a relatively short period of time. I do know all of that.

But it still sucks.  A lot.

19 comments:

pat said...

Thinking good thoughts for you. :) xo.

Carrie said...

What a bummer. I'm so sorry that you're hurting. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Natalie R. said...

I am so sorry you have had a rough go this past year! Hoping this will turn around for you and that you will be able to run and race how you want. Prayers for you and glad you have a doc that will listen. That is a huge blessing!

Christina said...

:( I know this stinks. There are never easy answers/decisions. I think you are right to take some serious rest, you'll come back stronger in the bigger picture! Regarding Boston, perhaps the airlines can defer you for a different flight in the future if you choose not to use the ticket? I know most are non-refundable, but for a change fee, it might be worth it and use it later for a different race if you choose not to go to Boston. No matter what, you are a strong runner, one of the best I know, and injuries happen to even the best. Desi didn't even get to go to the Olympics and Kara bowed out last Fall. I've come to learn it is just part of the sport, the periods of downs as well as the highs. HUG!!!

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

I have no words. So bummed for you. Thinking of you and lifting you up in prayer.

Gracie said...

Aw man! That stinks! But you do seem to have a good doc, which (as I discovered!) makes a huge difference. I hope you get a rapid diagnosis and quick treatment.

Nicole Wagner Makeup said...

been there. 3 times for stress fractures. still there. going on more than 6mos without running. I FEEL ya and it does suck but you have the right attitude. just keep thinking BIG picture.
xxxx

coach dion said...

Nobody ever said life was going to be easy, but with friends and family you with get through this next hurdle. Thinking of you.

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

oh erin i'm sad to read this! i hope that you feel better soon and that it is not actually a stress fracture. i'm glad you found a doctor who "gets" you and who you feel you can trust! sending you lots of healing thoughts! xo

Kate said...

I am so, so sorry to read this. I'm glad to hear you've found a physician who is both qualified and supportive. I hope you get the answers you need to make a plan for recovery.

fancy nancy said...

Praying for good news Erin!!!!!

Jill said...

Sorry to hear this Erin. Hopefully it is not a stress fracture. I'm sure you have done a lot of reading on the internet but I'm going to share one tip if it is tendinitis. I had a similar injury (I thought it was a stress fracture but it ended up being tendinitis). For me, the solution to the problem was as simple as not tying my laces so tight. Sounds crazy, but I read it and tried it and the pain went away. Yours of course may be more serious but it's worth a try. Best of luck!

Cheryl said...

Praying for you!

Laura @ Mommy run fast said...

Ugh, so frustrating. I'm so sorry to hear this, Erin. A good doctor makes a huge difference. Thinking of you!

Kayla said...

I am interested to hear what your scan shows. I have been dealing with something similar in my left foot for a few months now. My sports med doc said that I had a hip strength imbalance, causing my left foot to take more of a beating than my right. He did Graston and ART on me a few times, but I have been treating at home with my Stick, icing, doing my hip and core exercises religiously, and today I tried taping. No matter what I do I can't get rid of the pain (at the insertion points of the anterior and posterior tibial tendons in my foot) completely. It's enough better that I can do seven or eight miles relatively pain free, but I am stiff and achy for the whole day afterward and each run begins with worry that I am going to feel that familiar stabbing pain in my left instep.

It seems like you can't catch a break, so I really hope you get good news!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

I'm sorry Erin! I hope it heals fast!

Anonymous said...

This truly is a bummer! I had tendinitis a year ago this past fall and thought it was a stress fx. I found a great doctor that referred me to an even better PT and kept me racing. Praying healing prayers!

Adrienne said...


these things never happen at the right time. for what it's worth, I did the injured Bostontourist thing a couple years ago and it was a great experience. heal quickly!

Tara said...

I completely understand your frustration. I, too, am not running Boston even as my confirmation postcard hangs on the fridge. I was out in the summer with herniated disc, was coming back super strong and at Christmas gave myself a grade II calf strain b/c I didn't warm up properly and ran too fast. I'm bummed about Boston, but I realize my body is telling me to slow down. So I have. Back to hot yoga and some light runs this week and looking to the future. Slow down, Erin. Don't break down your body! I'll be in Boston and the plan now is to run the last 1/2 w/my sister to get her to a pr. It won't be the same, but your ticket is bought and after last year, to support the running community, try to make it. You won't be alone :)