Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Speaking Opportunity

At the beginning of this month I was contacted by Women Run Arkansas and was asked to be the guest speaker at their big annual event in May!

Women Run Arkansas has the mission to get women and girls off the couch and out doing something for themselves by starting an active lifestyle that they can continue the rest of their lives, resulting in confidence and self esteem, good health, and a good example for their family and friends. This goes so perfectly with all that I believe in.

Their big project every year is conducting free 10-week clinics across the state of Arkansas in the spring, which culminate in a big 5k as a "graduation event". 2014 will be the 17th year for Women Run Arkansas' clinics. They started with 75 ladies in their first year and this year had over 50 cities and 8000 women participating. The night before their 5k they have a large Pasta Party with a guest speaker to inspire the women participating in the 5k (many of which have never been in a race before). Some of the past guest speakers have been Kathrine Switzer, Jeff Galloway, Elanie Doll-Dunn, and Yolanda Holder.

After seeing the articles about me in Runner's World Magazine and Women's Running Magazine they thought I would be a perfect guest speaker for their program. I was so very honored to be asked and of course accepted! They will be flying me to Arkansas and I will be doing a meet and greet at the packet pick-up, speaking at the pasta party, starting the 5k, and then encouraging runners along the course and at the finish. 

I have no doubt that during this weekend I will be getting as much inspiration as I give, if not more. I am so excited to be a part of this because to me it is what running is all about, and if I can help inspire and encourage even one woman to get fit, believe in herself, and find her inner strength through running I will be so very happy.

Has anyone out there participated in this before? Anyone live in Arkansas? This will be my first time to the state. :)

9 comments:

Tia said...

Yay!! This is a great program in our state and I am so glad you will get to come and speak. I hope to participate in it in 2014 and I look forward to meeting you at the packet pick-up!

-Missy said...

My sister has participated the past few years and really enjoyed it. I might just have to come down and visit her and meet you next year!

L.A. Runner said...

Very cool! I know you'll do great!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

How exciting! I know you'll inspire the runners!

Kiley said...

That's really awesome! What a fun & inspiring experience that will be.

Aunt Melissa said...

Awesome!

Terzah said...

Have fun, Erin! You'll be a great speaker for them--what a cool program.

DragonLady said...

Cool! I haven't lived there in years, but I was born and raised in Arkansas. Enjoy! :)

Leslie Hesselbein said...

I was a coach for the Russellville, AR clinic last year! I participated as a runner the year before. Women Run Arkansas is a fabulous organization that has made incredible changes in the health of so many women! What a blessing that YOU will be our speaker this year! Thank you!