Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Brrrrrrrrrrr

Ok, so yeah. It's been a little cold this week.

I took this Monday morning right before I headed out the door
This morning it was a bit warmer but there was lots of fresh snow on the ground. It was slow going, but running with nothing but the soft "crunch crunch" of my feet on the snow and the quiet flurries coming down made for a beautiful run. I am to the point that my "quality" runs and workouts are having to be done on the treadmill, as trying to run fast in the dark on the snow and ice is just dangerous. That said, any time the roads are clear enough, I will take advantage of it!

I never let just the cold keep me in. Even the above daunting weather report didn't scare me to the treadmill. And once I got moving, I really felt just fine. Of course it's important to dress right. Most days my good old Brooks Infiniti Tights are perfect, although when it is single digits I go for the Utopia Thermal Tights. I wear my usual socks and PureFlow 2's (which have great traction in the snow), and on top I wear a tank or sports bra, quality base layer (right now I am wearing this one to death) and then a good running jacket, gloves or mittens, and beanie.  This Heater Hog beanie is my favorite, favorite, favorite.

Then I throw on my headlamp and am good to go! It's funny because I shiver sitting on the couch at night in warm clothes and wrapped in a blanket while Josh and the kids lounge around in shorts and are fine. If we are somewhere in the summer where there is air conditioning, forget it. I shiver, shiver, shiver. I am ALWAYS cold and have no tolerance for it....unless I am running. For some reason I handle it just fine when I am running.And I would MUCH prefer running in cold temps than hot temps. My ideal running temps are 35-50F. 

Is it cold yet where you are at? Do you run in the cold? Like it? Hate it?

15 comments:

Mark Matthews said...

Mid 40's here in Michigan. I haven't seen a single snowflake yet.

Lisa said...

-7C here (about 20F I think). I don't mind the cold but I'm not a fan of the ice and our first big snow fall was a rain/snow combo so I'm waiting till that is cleared off a bit.

Christina Williams said...

I'm the same, at home I am always under blankets, yet I can get out in 20 degree temps and run happy. Although, if I could choose ... I'd prefer the 40s ;)

MCM Mama said...

It was in the mid 60s here today - I was a sweaty mess at the end of my 10 miles. ;o)

There has to be a benefit to surviving VA's hot hot summers. ;o)

(I actually prefer cold weather though and won't be sad when I have to wear layers.)

L.A. Runner said...

Holy.Holy.Crap. There is just no way. I can't even wrap my mind around that! LOL. Our low here today was in the 60s and the high in the upper 70s.

Mad respect. I just don't think I could do that...

Annet said...

Suprisingly, it hasn't snowed here yet. I'm sure it will come any day now but we've had a lovely extended fall (thankfully cause summer was so non-existent).

Definitely hasn't been as cold here yet as your place. Small mercies ;)

Gracie said...

We got one day of "cold" (um, 60's) on Sunday. That was it. My AC is running right now.

coach dion said...

OK why am I complaining... it 16*C here and the wind is blowing, and I want summer to arrive that I can swim in the dam as I run by...

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I love running in the cold as long as it isn't really windy too.

Elly said...

Wow! I love running in the cold but right now where I live we're coming into summer early - today will be 37' Celcius (99' Farenheit!) - cold weather seems like a dream! :)

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

That is seriously cold! I'm like you in that I'm always cold in my house and under a blanket even in the summer time. I love running in 35-50 degree weather. Anything warmer gets too hot for me.

jamie smith said...

OK 6'f is much colder than my Alabama 37'F overnight. When I lived in Canada, my friends suggested I run in Winter cleats. They were too expensive for my teenage allowance. Do you/have you used any?

lightofworldphoto said...

Just started running and LOVE it. I am freaking about the cold though. I've run in the 40's which is fine but we're going into winter and teens and 20's don't sound fun. My goal is to continue on. Thanks for your cold weather gear list. I'm also cold all the time in the AC and I bring sweatshirts with me to all places ondoors in the summer :).

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

That's so cold! Here in Texas, I haven't needed anything more than shorts on my legs for my morning runs this fall.

Suz and Allan said...

Sheesh and here I was going to complain about temps in the 20's!