Friday, November 22, 2013

A change will do you good

Happy Friday! Another week has just blown by. In fact, most of November has blown by! I can't believe that next week is Thanksgiving and that it is so close to December. It is such a fun time of year to have kids.

Speaking of kids, I need to give a major shout out to my Shane (who turned 14 last month). Last weekend he WON the middle school race at Nike Cross Regionals Northwest!! He ran a strong and smart race against some tough competition and we are crazy proud of him. Ryan (16) ran in a JV race and also ran well. We are really proud of how hard Ryan has worked this year too and how much progress he has made. The boys got to meet Jordan Hasay and had a really fun weekend. It is so awesome to see your kids find something they love and are passionate about, and to see them work hard and reap the rewards of it. Here is what Shane posted this weekend. I love it!

I have been putting in plenty of my own hard work. This week will be just over 90 miles and I am feeling good. I am having to transition to mostly treadmill running for my quality runs (21 miles on Sunday, 12 miles with 8x1 mile repeats on Tuesday, etc.) but I knew the change was coming and have been getting ready for it mentally. I have noticed a bit of a breakthrough the last week or so in my training. The long runs aren't leaving me as sore and tired afterward and my "easy" runs are feeling much better (instead of death marches!). There are just over 8 weeks until the Houston Marathon and I am starting to feel more confident and excited. 

The title of this post is "a change will do you good". Last week we found out that Brooks is revamping their ID sponsorship program and moving forward will now be a program for coaches of competitive high school teams and sub-elites. Although I certainly plan to continue to train hard and improve, and get to the sub-elite level, I am not there yet. And that's ok. I am proud of where I am at now, at how far I have come in a short time, and am excited about what the future will bring. :) 

I was sad when I first heard about the changes to the ID program because I have very much enjoyed running for Brooks. The first round of cuts went out and I was left waiting for a few days, but by the time I actually got my "it's not you, it's me" cut letter from the program, I was ok with it. I am grateful for all the support that Brooks gave me and for all of the awesome friends I have made. It's sad to see the program (the way we knew it) come to an end and I loved that Brooks supported such a wide range of coaches, athletes, industry professionals, etc. but it was great while it lasted. 

They did offer me a spot as a "Brooks Fanatic" (a different program) but right now I am using this as a chance to take advantage of some new opportunities. More details on some exciting things coming soon. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Time to get planning on our Thanksgiving dinner shopping.  What is your favorite Thanksgiving dinner dish? Mine is sweet potatoes! :)

8 comments:

Mark Matthews said...

DAMN IT! i am going to the middle of city hall and burning all my brooks swag right now! ARGGHHH. The nerve of them!

(oh wait, i run in Brooks. And I want to keep running in Brooks.)

Never mind.

Hope your new stuff is exciting.

christa said...

Stuffing is my favorite :)

Amy Lauren said...

I hate to hear Brooks has cut you from the program. Despite not being a sub-elite, you are a very inspirational runner and you are fast, you do a lot for the running community and your whole family is involved. Sure wish they looked at more than just times and races, like your character, etc. Hopefully bigger and better things are in store.

Congrats to your sons on their races too! Pretty awesome to WIN a race at that age :)

jamie smith said...

Consider this a shopping opportunity because in 8 weeks, you will be at the next level and I bet a swank sponsorship will be yours.
Huge congrats to the other speed demons in the Henderson family.

Christina said...

I feel like there is "change" slowly coming overall in the running "sector", or maybe it is just me? It just seems there are little shifts here and there I read about. From my local running store selling to different owners, to the NYT article about a decline in fundraising running, New Balance with the Disney spot, Meb bringing Skechers out more in the limelight as a shoe company to consider, to now this ... definitely changes are happening in the rift ;) Hopefully all for the good, but it is sad to see this program drop runners like you. Looking forward to see what else comes your way and wishing so many good vibes for Houston! Congrats to your son!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Hey you, love how you always roll with the good and bad that life gives you. I was bummed about Brooks too. But I'm confident that things happen just as they should...excited to hear what things are coming your way. So wonderful that you son can share the joy of running/racing with his mom! Awesome! Hope training continues to go well as you gear up for Houston!

coach dion said...

I am amazed every year some-one wants to sponsor me... That said I would also be a little sad if I didn't get a sponsor of sorts for the year or even just for a couple of races.

So I hope something good lands in your lap sooner rather than later.

That said, mayby your boy should get the sponsor!

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

Congratulations to Shane! That is amazing!

Looking forward to hear what other great things are coming your way, because I know there will be something. You are super motivational and will be sub-elite before we know it!