Tuesday, October 15, 2013

It's snowing again!

First off, let me just say THANK YOU to everyone who donated to my fundraiser for the Girls Gotta Run Foundation. I raised over $3225! An extra special thank you to the companies and people who donated prizes - Brooks, Races to Remember, Pro Tec Athletics, Gone for a Run, Yurbuds, RecoFit, i AM Shirts, the Chicago Half Marathon, Pro Compression, Sarah Lorge Butler, Tiger Tail, Sweaty Bands, Tailwind, Nuun, and Allied Medal Hangers. All of the prizes have been claimed and winners have been contacted. Prizes will be shipped out this week and next. Whew! This was a lot of work but well worth supporting a cause I am passionate about.

Big Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend! I know a lot of people ran great races in Hartford and in Chicago! My sweet friend Terzah qualified for Boston after years of training, racing, and dreaming!!! She is such an inspiration for never giving up. I am so excited for her!

And a super fun girl that I coach ran a TWENTY minute marathon PR in Chicago. I had a blast tracking her and cheering her on virtually during the race. It's awesome to see her hard work and dedication pay off.

I managed to keep the pouting to a minimum about not being in Chicago. I am excited for Houston and Boston and I am focusing on where I am at, and being grateful to be running and training again.

We had a pretty stressful weekened thanks to our hot water heater giving up on life. The fact that we live two hours from a real hardware store and that everything in town closes early on Saturday and doesn't open until Monday complicated things further. We went from very little hot water, to only cold water, to no water. NOT GOOD. After Josh made two trips to Idaho Falls in 24 hours (and we spent a small fortune) we have a new hot water heater that is installed and working and the leaks that complicated things have been taken care of.

Tip - don't ever take for granted the ability to flush a toilet or take a hot shower.

I had a decent track workout this morning. 1200's are not my favorite. They are hard to pace right! I need to think of them as short miles instead of long 800's. It was a balmy 21 degrees, snowing, dark and icy on the track, but it still felt good to run fast. After my workout one of my coaching clients came and we did a fun little session on running form, strides, etc. I love coaching!

My feet are doing great! I didn't even think about them during this workout and they weren't sore at all during the cool down. Better and better and better. They are still stiff when I first stand up, but besides that they are feeling good. My confidence is coming back slowly and I am so happy to be doing what I love.

Here is a pic from my porch this morning after I got home. Everything is covered in a layer of ice and snow.  It does not feel like October!


How is the weather where you are??

12 comments:

Mark Matthews said...

This fall has been the best summer we ever had. It starts at 48 degrees in the morning, up to 68 and sunny by the afternoon.

Carrie said...

Currently 64 in Maine with gorgeous foliage! Sorry about your snow...I'll be dealing with it soon. So glad you hear your foot is feeling that much better. What a relief!

fancy nancy said...

Oh that snow this early would make me very grouchy!!! It is around 60 here...about right for October! Congrats on your fundraising success!!

Loren said...

I would much rather run in snow than 80 deg and 80% humidity! But the ice... not so much, because it's easy to get hurt.

L.A. Runner said...

What.The.Crap. Whatthecrap??????

I am so mind blown by that weather in October. Um, we are still low 90s for our highs, but the lows are FINALLY in the low 70s. LOL.

Tonight after my track workout, I got a little chilled and threw on my long sleeve shirt. When I got in the car, it was 72*. HAHAAH!!!!

So glad to hear the feet are better and you are loving life training!

coach dion said...

Love Summer, and it's on the way to Cape Town...

PS we turned our hot water off over a year ago! didn't think we really needed it on as I 'live' at the club and my wife 'lives' at the gym...

christa said...

I can't believe you have snow! It's been a beautiful warmer than normal fall here in VT. High 60's, low 70's during the day, cool nights, lots of sun!

misszippy said...

I actually love 1200s for some reason, but I like your thinking--short miles not long 800s. So glad to hear you are on the upswing--Houston will be yours!

Wow--snow. Not ready here but I will enjoy your pretty pictures!

Terzah said...

I'm so glad your foot is mending. You will love Houston and it will love you.

Thanks for the shout-out. I'm still basking and eating too much chocolate.

coach dion said...

Came off the Mountain yesterday evening and in the car park there was a film short and the car park was covered in snow!!! wish I had a camera with me would have made a great picture...

Suz and Allan said...

I can't believe you guys already have snow. I came home from a 3-day weekend to the hot water having exploded while I was out of town and flooding half my house. It was a month before things were back to normal. Now I have a lot of respect for the hot water heater and couldn't be happier that in this house it's located in the garage where it can't flood the house. Sorry for all the hassle your hot water heater caused you. Thank goodness you guys have a new one now!

Elly said...

Wow, snow! Here in Australia, summer has arrived early and we are having very hot weather (over 30deg Celcius) and raging bushfires :(