Friday, September 27, 2013

It's snowing...

Wow - a whole week in between posts. You would think I was busy or something.  :)

Here is a crazy thing - I have run in SNOW two of the last three mornings!!! It isn't sticking on the valley floor for long but the foothills are white right now and the temps have been in the upper 20's when I run in the early mornings. How is that for September weather??? This is the earliest I have ever had to deal with snow. Hopefully fall will come back for awhile, but the farmers here are predicting a long winter.  As long as the roads aren't icy I will be out there.
Treadmill = bleck.

It has been a pretty good week. My mileage is creeping up slowly and I have had little bits of intensity mixed in here and there. I had two days in the last week where I ran four miles in the middle of an 8 mile run at a faster pace (not quite tempo pace but faster than easy pace), and the last two days I have had 10x100m strides at the end and the feet have handled it pretty well. The first day I ran some faster miles, one foot was really sore and I was worried I had set myself way back, but it was fine again the next morning and it has been ok since. One foot is great, the other is still a little naggy but holding steady. I am past the point of worrying and wondering if I will make it through the planned runs which is nice. I really look forward to being able to go out and do a butt-kicking workout without worrying about the feet, but I am trying to be patient.

CONGRATS to everyone who found out this week that they are running Boston! My good friend Lauri qualified by 4:57 and found out on Wednesday that she is IN so we are super excited. It will be her first Boston and my second. I can't wait!

This Sunday will be 16 weeks until the Houston Marathon. If all goes well and my feet continue to stay the same (and improve) as we pick up training, then Houston will be my "A" race and Boston will be more of a no-pressure training run. If there are setbacks training for Houston, then Houston will be the training run and Boston will be the "A" race.  Either way I will be running both, and I am REALLY looking forward to them.

I have been trying not to pout too much with Chicago just two weeks away now, although it is hard to see all the hype and not be bummed. I was hoping at this point to be starting my taper in the best shape of my life, ready for a huge PR in Chicago (and enjoying a long weekend with Josh and my parents). Instead I am still babying a fickle foot, am running low (for me) miles, and haven't had a tempo run or track workout in way too long. I am trying to stay positive and to believe that this break will pay off in the big picture, and am looking forward with faith and optimism.

Did you read about Kara Goucher having to withdraw from the New York City marathon? Kara is my favorite and it broke my heart reading her post. I have no doubts she will be back better than ever though. 

We have some fun this weekend - Sadies is coming home for the first time since she went to college last month! She has been gone for just over a month so we are all SUPER excited to see her. The kids are bouncing off the walls. Maggie is turning 12 on Monday so we will be celebrating her birthday this weekend, and baby cousin August is getting blessed in church on Sunday so we have that too. Lots of great family stuff happening. Yay!

I will NOT be drawing any winners for my Girls Gotta Run Foundation Giveaway today or next Friday, but will draw winners for the remaining eight prizes (and maybe a couple of new additions!) on Friday, October 11. We will be doing a final fundraising push and October 11 is two days before Chicago and is the International Day of the Girl, so it seems like a great day to wrap up the fundraiser. Any donations that come in between now and October 11 will get double entries in the giveaway.  It is easy, safe, secure and fast to donate here on the Crowdrise website.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! More soon.

5 comments:

Mark Matthews said...

Snow? oh no.

BTW, I got my medal display in the mail. Solid. My models will share a spot with my daughters karate belts. Boo-yah!

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

I've run my last couple runs in some serious torrential rain. It's not like the snow you guys get, but it's a signal to me that winter is on it's way!

Emily @ My Little Lasik said...

Great to see you are back!

coach dion said...

I think I need more 'A' races in the coming months, but I'm to lazy to put in the work!!!

Then did you watch the Berlin Marathon!!! 2h03:24, that's even quicker than me!!!
What about the 3rd lady, she's 41 and ran 2h24:54... So there is no reason that Olympic Dream of yours isn't do-able.

coach dion said...

I think I need more 'A' races in the coming months, but I'm to lazy to put in the work!!!

Then did you watch the Berlin Marathon!!! 2h03:24, that's even quicker than me!!!
What about the 3rd lady, she's 41 and ran 2h24:54... So there is no reason that Olympic Dream of yours isn't do-able.