Saturday, August 24, 2013

New Goal

So, I pushed the reset button.

I took five days off completely (which I have not done since I started running) and these last few days I have been running short miles at easy paces. My feet don't feel great but they aren't any worse (maybe slightly better). It's tough because I feel "tapered" and ready to RUN but I don't want to make the injury worse, and I know that this recovery/rest/healing month is essential and so I am trying to embrace it.

I have an appointment with a sports orthopedist on Tuesday afternoon just to make sure I am not missing anything. The PT I have been seeing is awesome but just isn't sure if it is PF or something else. I have symptoms similar to PF but then some that aren't, and the rest, rolling, ice, ultrasound, e-stym, etc. etc. isn't getting rid of it. So I will see the sports orthopedist just to make sure there isn't anything else we can be doing and to make sure it is PF or tendonitis and not anything else.

Pulling the plug on Chicago was harder than I thought it would be, even knowing it is was the right thing to do. My training had been going really well and I was excited for a good race. I am SO hungry for a good race it is hard to put into words. My PR is a 3:14, but in that race (Tallahassee) I literally spent six minutes in a porta-potty being violently ill, so I know I am faster than that. And I have worked a whole lot since February and I know a sub 3:05 and hopefully even a sub 3 was a very realistic goal for Chicago. AND I WANT IT.  It was exciting to be getting closer to race day and closer to the opportunity to make it happen, and now it feels like I have been sent back to "start".

I also was very much looking forward to seeing my parents and brother in Chicago and getting a short getaway with Josh.

BUT - I am holding on to the faith that being smart (and patient) now will pay off later. I don't want to show up in Chicago (or anywhere else) under-trained and semi-injured and I don't want a disappointing race. So I am taking this rest, healing up, and then starting fresh, and believing it will pay off.

As soon as I made this decision with coach, I started researching races. We decided that late December through mid- January would be ideal timing (16-18 weeks of training after the recovery period). I wanted a race that was fast, mostly flat, a good course, a good field of runners, and a high chance for good weather (knowing that you never get any guarantees with weather).

After a lot of thought and research, I have chosen the Chevron Houston Marathon on January 19 for my goal race!

The timing is perfect (18 weeks of training if we start Sept. 14), it's a great course, great race, etc. etc. etc. It's also where Coach lives so that is an added bonus! The NYC Marathon was too soon (and sold out). The Disney Marathon was already sold out (not the fastest course but I have always run well there) and I also considered Tallahassee again (would LOVE to go see Jennifer) but taking the best friend out of the equation, Houston seemed like a much better race.  I am registered and excited. "Houston. Sub 3." That's the mantra when training starts again.

"Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success." - Napoleon Hill


"How many a man has thrown up his hands at a time when a little more effort, a little more patience would have achieved success." - Elbert Hubbard

"Patience and Diligence, like faith, remove mountains." - William Penn

11 comments:

Raina said...

Sorry to read about your foot. You are certainly being wise to take care of it, Erin. Patience pays off! ♥

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Ahh boo. :( i was hoping to meet you ( i might volunteer this year) take care of yourself first and foremost!

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

The disappointment you feel in changing your goal race is far easier to bear than a bad race experience would be! I can't decide if I want the surgeon to find something so you can hurry and make it better or not! Good luck in your resting! Sometimes resting is the hardest workout of all!

Mark Matthews said...

Wasn't Houston the site of the last olympic time trials? hmmmmm.

Terzah said...

I love Houston (the city where I went to college, and the marathon--I've run it twice--my first marathon and then my PR). You are being very smart, though I'm sorry I won't be seeing you in Chicago. Heal up!

Mommy Run Fast said...

As soon as you started saying Dec/Jan I thought of Houston- so glad to see that's the one you went with! I had a great experience there last year (but now we moved to the northeast, so unfortunately I won't be there to cheer for you!) I can imagine how difficult this has been. Playing it smart will pay off!!

Jen said...

Bigger and Better in Texas!

coach dion said...

That is so far away, I hope you find a couple of shorter races to get the body tuned to racing... The marathon PR isn't the only time that needs to go.

Kathy said...

I am so happy that you're taking care of yourself and not pushing to recover quicker & making things worse... Selfishly, the good news for me is that I won't miss seeing you in person, we leave for Disney that day!

Jill said...

Good luck in Houston and with getting your foot better!

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

I am sure it is so hard to let Chicago go, even though you know in the long run it is for the best. But Houston will be here before you know it, and I'm sure it will be a HUGE PR for you and you'll be able to look back and know you did the right thing.