Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Fueling the Flames

"I am building a fire, and everyday I train, I add more fuel. At just the right moment, I light the match." - Mia Hamm

"Each of us has a fire in our hearts for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."
-- Mary Lou Retton
 


Training hard at something day in and day out takes a lot of commitment and determination. Pushing through set backs, disappointments, and challenges, and continuing to move forward takes resolve. Setting an ambitious goal, and having the courage to go after it, takes passion.

Since I first started running, I have loved the sport. Once I started training, setting goals, and making progress, I have had a fire burning inside of me. That fire is the reason I get up before 4:30am almost every single day. That fire is the reason I put in the work, day in and day out, no excuses. That fire is the reason I do all the little extra things that I believe make me a better runner. That fire is the reason I don't back down, I don't give up, I don't get discouraged. That fire is the reason I keep dreaming, keep fighting, keep believing, keep striving.

I set the goal to qualify for the Olympic Marathon Trials. I know that is a very ambitious goal. I know lots of people think I won't do it. That fire in me keeps me committed to that goal and keeps me believing that it is possible. That fire keeps me willing to put in the work it takes to chase after that goal and dream.

There are things that have dampened the flames at times - disappointing races, discouraging people, over-training, setbacks, plateaus, self-doubt, life stress...

But the fire has never gone out.

Lately I have been consciously doing the things I need to do to fuel the flames. I have surrounded myself with supportive people and am ignoring the rest. I have been taking care of my body so that I feel good. I have followed my coach's guidance and we have tweaked my training and racing schedule to find what works best for me. I am smiling. I am focusing on steps of progress at a time. I have been working on the mental aspect of my training. I have been running strong and having great workouts. I am feeling excited. I am feeding my passion and joy for the sport that I love, and I am feeding my confidence and belief in myself to achieve the things I want to achieve. 

I am fueling the flames and they are growing. What out Chicago - this girl is going to be on fire.

"Great achievements don't start with reality. They start with desire." - Kenneth Baum (The Mental Edge)

"You have to find something that you love enough to be able to take risks, jump over the hurdles and break through the brick walls that are always going to be placed in front of you." - George Lucas

10 comments:

Mark Matthews said...

Your quotes are always spot on, but, I'm waiting for you to quote some Eminem someday.

SupermomE12 said...

Mark - I actually have a few Eminem songs on my IPOD for my running playlist! :)

Amy Lauren said...

I love your Mia Hamm quote. I feel the same way and in September, I'll light the fire on my first marathon. No qualifying times for me yet, but hopefully I will finish in around 4 hours!

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

I love this post! I feel the same way! Although my motivation on specific days and even months wain, my desire to achieve my goals is steady and I can always focus on that to get me through.

Excellent!

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

This is awesome. I love having goals to work towards in my running. It keeps me motivated and excited for the future. It's nice to connect with others that are driven as well. (Not that I'm shooting for the Olympic Trials, but we all have our own individual goals which is what makes running so cool!)

Michele said...

You are such an inspiration to me!

dannielo said...

If you'd like a tool for setting your goals, you can use this web application:

http://www.Gtdagenda.com

You can use it to manage your goals, projects and tasks, set next actions and contexts, use checklists, and a calendar.
Syncs with Evernote and Google Calendar, and also comes with mobile version, and Android and iPhone apps.

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

yeah!!!!! this rocks and so do you!!!! i'm so happy to hear things are going well and am so excited for what the fall will bring! keep fueling those flames!!!

Kathy said...

We Chicagoans can't wait to cheer you on..!!!!

coach dion said...

I look back at my running career and yes there are goals that I didn't reach... But I did get close and I know that is the weather gods had played ball on that day I would have the times I was shorting for! So I hope that when the day comes, the weather gods are on your side and you can get those extra seconds needed to qualify