Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Spirit that is in Me

I saw this a week or two ago and it has really stuck with me.

Yes!

For awhile, I let my commitment to everyone else way overshadow any commitment to myself. I used all of my time and energy to take care of everyone else and I did so gladly, as my family is my greatest joy and blessing. And yet I was so wrapped up in caring for everyone else that my own health, dreams, interests, talents, etc. were non-existent on my priority list for so long that I forgot  they were even there.

First I committed to getting healthy, and then a few months later, I went on my first run. And somewhere during that first run, the spirit that is in me sparked.


I commented to Josh today that I felt like I had the ideal life. I am married to my best friend, soul mate, and true love. We have the very best kids in the universe. We live in a gorgeous place. I have the most wonderful parents, BFF, family, and friends. And I get to do this awesome thing that I love to do every day. I get to be an athlete - a runner - a marathoner. I have a fabulous support system, including an amazing coach that I trust and enjoy, to lead and guide me. I am sponsored by THE greatest running shoe company. I get to train hard, run high mileage, do challenging workouts, race, make progress, chase my dreams, push my own limits, and make the most of a God-given talent.

On top of that, I get to coach others. I truly love helping others go after their own hopes and dreams, and supporting and encouraging other runners. And I get to combine my passions of running and helping others (and my love for Ethiopia) by being involved with the Girls Gotta Run Foundation.

I get to live up to the spirit that is within me - a spirit that is joyful, driven, strong, faithful, loving, competitive, happy, honest, determined, optimistic, tough, loyal, fun, confident and brave. Wife, mom, daughter, friend, athlete.

"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!"- Anne Frank

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence." - Confusious






8 comments:

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

You do have a great life and I love that you are so thankful for it. You have worked hard to get where you are and deserve so much running success. I love my life too :)

Annet said...

I'm loving life at the moment too and it is such a great feeling, so great post!

fancy nancy said...

I love that you chose to be thankful for your blessings! You certainly do have them!! You are such a hard worker in all aspects of your life!! Certainly an amazing role model for your children and an inspiration for us all!!!

Canuck Mom said...

You have an amazing spirit!!!

Carrie said...

I'm loving life too. Of course there are things that would make it easier, like having more money to make paying bills less stressful, but as long as I have my husband, two beautiful boys, an amazing family and friends, I'm happy. I love reading your posts...they are such a great reminder to stay positive, to be happy with what you have, and be thankful to have the opportunity to do something as simple as run.

Jen@runfortheboys said...

I hope osmosis works cross country with your BFF. You never cease to inspire...and I know and see the real you and this is exactly who you are each and every day.

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

I love your posts that touch on your appreciation for the gifts in your life. It is through gratitude that we can all see how blessings and how wonderful our lives are!

emlizalmo said...

That Anne Frank quote is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. Thank you! Don't you think that is EXACTLY what the Lord would say to us?