Thursday, April 25, 2013

Four

Four years ago today I went for a run.

Going for a run is something that I do now almost every single day, sometimes twice, but four years ago it was a really big deal. 

It was the first run I ever went on.

I never ran in school (outside of the dreaded gym class mile). I never ran for fitness. I had never gone for a run before. I never imagined I could be a runner. I never wanted to be a runner. I was 32 years old, overweight, and unhappy with myself.

Four years later, I almost don't recognize the girl in the mirror.

I am a runner. I love being a runner, and running has given me so much. Running has helped me lose and keep off almost 80lbs. Running has given me a new sense of personal satisfaction and accomplishment. Running has given me big goals and dreams, and the confidence to chase after them. Running has helped me reduce my stress and increase my patience. Running has helped me make myself a priority in my own life. Running has given me wonderful friendships and exciting opportunities. Running helped me find a part of myself... a part that is athletic, strong, tough, brave, determined, and confident...a part of me that I truly did not know existed... a part of me I discovered the first glimpse of four years ago today.

Every day running betters my body, mind and soul.

Running has thought me that with determination, commitment, consistency, effort, dedication, heart, faith, and lots of hard work, I can achieve more than I ever could have imagined or dared to dream.

Four years ago today, I became a runner. I am grateful for every day, every mile, every step.


“The task ahead of you is never greater than the strength within you.” – Unknown
“Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can do what others can’t”. – Unknown 


"Have a dream, make a plan, go for it. You'll get there, I promise." - Zoe Koplowitz

"Winning is not about headlines and hardware (medals). It's only about attitude. A winner is a person who goes out today and every day and attempts to be the best runner and best person he can be. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up." - Amby Burfoot

"If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive, and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done." - Vince Lombardi

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King, Jr.


18 comments:

Gracie said...

In just four years you have progressed to fast races and 100+ mile weeks. That is amazing!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Amazing! I'm so glad you went on that run four years ago today...I know MY life is better because of it. I shutter to think of the far-reaching ripple effects that every one of our actions has on the rest of our lives in very significant ways. So thankful for YOU!!! Love you :)

fancy nancy said...

I'm still so blown away by how much you have accomplished with running in just 4 years!!! Amazing!!

Marissa Dick said...

Congratulations on the article!

http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2013/04/inspiration/full-house-runner_12249

Amy Lauren said...

I love this :). You inspire me so much with your running too.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

How inspirational! Looking forward to seeing what you accomplish in the next four years!

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Congrats on 4 amazing years! I can't wait to see what the next 4 have in store for you. And I had to share this post on my personal fb page as inspiration for my sister.

Great job Erin!

Diana Martinez said...

Happy Runniversary! I can't believe that you've only been running for 4 years. You're amazing!

Yolanda said...

Congrats on an amazing path!

twoboysnmygirl said...

You are such an inspiration! Happy 4th!

Karen Orozco said...

Ooops, wrong google account above! Either way...inspiration!

coach dion said...

Since My wifes Op she's started counting again... I hope I never have to start counting again. I am one of the lucky ones who has always run, and I don't understand people who don't excercise. So good for you, from going from one of 'those' people, to a super Star.

4 years...

Heather Jacobs said...

I read about you first in Women's Running Magazine and found you SO inspiring, I tell every one of my running friends about you! You definitely inspire me to try to run faster and stronger, and not just settle for being a stuck in the rut runner. Congratulations on four years of running!

Christina Williams said...

Many congratulations on THIS anniversary :) I love the "runnerversaries" ... they are an important one. I think we all know our special date!

jamie smith said...

Here are two of my all-time favorite quotes. Thought they applied to you.
"The more you hammer steel, the harder it becomes" anonymous, and "It is the striving--not success, that reveals and ennobles a true hero" Beowulf

Zaneta said...

Congrats!! 4 years is awesome!! And look how far you've come from that first run!! :) YOU ROCK!!

Katharine Luskin said...

So glad you went on that run 4 years ago too... otherwise I wouldn't have such a fabulous coach!! :)

Art @ Fit at Fifty said...

I love your post.
I never ran, except in gym class.
In 2007 at the age of 47 I got sick and tired of being fat, sick and tired. Took off running and never looked back.