Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Busted Spring

Since the day that I got my training plan from Coach Doug I was very aware of the workout scheduled for today. "The Gut Buster".

GUT BUSTER
Warm up 3-Miles
2 X 1600 in 6:20 with 30 sec recovery in between
2 min recovery
2 X 800 in 2:57 with 30 sec recovery in between
2 min recovery
2 X 400 in 84 with 30 sec min recovery in between
5-8 minutes Recovery
2 X 1600 in 6:25 with 30 sec recovery in between
2 min recovery
2 X 800 in 3:05 with 30 sec recovery in between
2 min recovery
2 X 400 in 88 with 30 sec min recovery in between
Warm Down 2-miles

(It doesn't look so bad at first glance, but I am here to tell you it is those 30 second rest intervals that about kill you).

Last week my schedule had me do a half Gut Buster.  I KILLED it. I did the miles in 6:09 and 6:09, the 800's in 2:51 and 2:49, and the 400's in 78 and 79 seconds. I ran it on the track and I felt fast and strong. It was a tough workout and I was glad to be done when it was over, but if I had to do the full workout last week I could have and would have.

I was actually even pretty excited to run the full Gut Buster this week. I knew it was going to be a big challenge and I was ready for it. I love the track and track work. And then Mother Nature lost her mind, and we got slammed with a huge snow, ice and wind storm last night. There are inches of ice on everything. Roads are closed in some places. We have gotten about six inches of snow, and the winds got up to 30mph. My track is once again buried in winter mess. Blargh.

The idea of running the Gut Buster on the treadmill made me want to cry. I knew I could email Coach and ask to move it back a week or something, but my mileage is scaled back this week because of this workout and gets up near 100 next week, and I didn't want to mess up the schedule. So I sucked it up and did the darn thing on the treadmill. I had been SO hoping to be done with that thing for the season.

Last week I was amazed at how quickly four laps around the track flew by in the mile repeats. Today, the miles felt like they went on FOREVER. Last week I was thrilled with how easy the sub 5:20 pace felt on the 400's as I burned around the track. Today the 400's felt really hard. (So did the 800s). Last week I was kicking butt. This week I was surviving.

But I did it. There weren't any heroics. I didn't kill the paces and the workout like last week - I ran it exactly as prescribed and fought the whole way through. I usually enjoy my runs. I like to work hard - I embrace the challenge and the fight. I tried to keep a good attitude today, but man, it was pretty sucky. I just really really REALLY detest speedwork on the treadmill.

I want another crack at the Gut Buster before Chicago - on the track!

I am VERY grateful though to Mother Nature for giving us good weather over the weekend. We had SO MUCH FUN.

We swam and swam and swam in the hotel pool, the older girls got their hair done, we spent a full day at the amusement park, we had a nice dinner for Des' birthday, we got new shoes for all the kids, we had a TOTAL blast at an indoor trampoline park, and then we had "make your own frozen yogurt creations" for dinner. The amusement park (Lagoon Park in Salt Lake) was perfect. The weather only got to about 60 degrees and there were very few people there. The kids could literally walk right up and ride anything, and then could get off and get right back on if they wanted to. I don't think we waited more than five minutes to ride anything the whole day. They rode everything in the park and lots of things many times. We definitely got our money's worth!

And the trampoline park might be the most fun thing we have ever done. We laughed and laughed and laughed. I felt bad for the parents sitting on the benches watching their kids - they were missing out! One of us had to hold Noah (who kept saying, "jump jump jump jump") so I definitely got an extra workout in. :) Noah really liked the rides too! He had so much fun (as we all did). I had someone ask me if we took him with us, and YES, we always take him with us. We include him in everything we do as a family and I would not have it any other way.

We rarely have the money to do weekends like this, so it was definitely a special treat all the way around. With our oldest graduating next month, I know our opportunities for these things are limited, so we were very grateful for this short trip. It was a crazy fun, MUCH needed long weekend getaway. We did nothing but play (and eat!) and it was awesome to have so much family time. I just love being with Josh and the kids. The kids were all great and they got along so well. I love watching my kids together. They are brothers and sisters but they are friends too and it is the best.

Here are some pics!
There was no way to get them to be still. :) This was when the big girls were getting their hair done. I am pretty sure at least a few of my kids have gills. :)


First ones at the amusement park! That is our van you can see behind us, all alone in the parking lot. :)  We loved every minute! So much more fun than fighting crowds and heat in the summer.
Yeah - Shorty and Belane were on this with Josh and the big kids. Most of my kids are FEARLESS when it comes to rides.
This one was a lot tamer. :) Noah is sitting next to Ben. It was his first ride and he LOVED it. He was smiling and laughing the whole time.
Josh and Noah having fun in the Jeeps!

Go carts were a big hit! Marcus won!!! Here are three cars worth of Hendersons in action. :)
Me and my love! We had as much fun as the kids. :)
This is how most of my pics from the trampoline park came out! (this is Shorty)
Josh and Noah!
M dunking it! They had basketball hoops, dodge ball, foam pits to jump into, and all kinds of fun. The kids LOVED it. 
N dunking it! I wish I had gotten pics of some of the flips Shane and Josh were doing but they just didn't come out.
This was in an art gallery. D loved the sparkling reindeer and the pic came out pretty cool.
I am STILL catching up on laundry, but it was very very worth it.

Now could someone please please please send spring back to the Rocky Mountains?

16 comments:

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

I'm sorry you got dumped on with more snow and had to move your tough workout inside. But kudos to you for sticking with it and getting it done. I am picturing how much stronger you are mentally and physically after this run!

Your trip sounded like so much fun. What an awesome family you have and what amazing parents you and Josh are to do all this fun stuff!

katharine said...

First time commenter... So many things to say--& I may have to email you eventually (running questions.. International adoption commonalities)... But I love that you dug down deep and kicked ass this morning on your treadmill. You rock. Love hearing about your life. I think about you as I'm making two kids' lunches... You make 10, 11 lunches per day. That's freaking awesome.

Suz and Allan said...

Looks like a fun time to be had with you guys and the kiddos!

Stephanie Rafferty said...

Thanks for being willing to share the pictures of your beautiful family. It is great to see such a happy, loving family!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

You practice what you preach and you do not give in and make excuses - even when the going gets tough. That's what makes you a good role model and mentor for the rest of us! Loved all the vacay pics - fun fun fun!!!

Gracie said...

Great pics from your weekend! We never did any family vacations growing up - but you handled it professionally with 3 more kids than we had! Looks like you guys had the best time.

Jill said...

Ah, I love those family pictures, they always make me smile at how happy they all are. What a wonderful family!

Nice job nailing the Gut Buster this week, even when you weren't feeling it. I think those workouts, the ones we have to fight the hardest for, are the ones that are the most beneficial. They show us that we are not afraid to fight for what we want!

xo

coach dion said...

OK I would never want to take 12 kids on a holiday, that seems like to much hard work...

OK did I add that up right 7 miles hard!!! I want to say: Are you Mad!! Is your coach Mad!!! but then I think you need to be a little mad to pull of what you want, because no-one ever said it was going to be easy...

L.A. Runner said...

Great workout! And yes, that most definitely was miserable on the hamster wheel. Eww. I love the pics from the trip. I kind of imagine it to be like me taking my class on an overnight field trip. Haha! Truth be told, my "children" behave way better on field trips than in the classroom, and any place we go we have a SUPER fun time!

For those readers that say how much WORK it would be obviously don't realize how much WORK it is on a day to day basis. The trips are the fun parts! (Of course, I'm just imagining if my students were actually my own...)

Jill said...

Good job finishing that workout even though it wasn't easy! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this snow will be gone soon. If you have a minute, could you email me the name of the trampoline park you went to? We've been wanting to take our kids to one. Thanks!

Aunt Melissa said...

Hey Erin-
I live in MN and it is snowing here today, too...6-10 inches expected for tomorrow...
Funny thing is my family of 4 went to a trampoline park this weekend, too. It was a fundraiser for a 5th grader who has a rare form of cancer. Everyone had so much fun! We loved jumping AND throwing those soft dodgeballs at each other. I was interested to see the hoops where you went because we commented that hoops would be great - but the place we went did not have them. It was a great family activity and I also think it was quite a workout:)

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Awesome job and I am just the opposite....probably because I don't hit the track that much but it is indeed fun. I can nail my speedwork on the treadmill so tend to prefer it there. On the track, I waiver but in all reality, I need to hit the track more since I feel it will prepare me better for races by learning to feel my pace better.

Diana Martinez said...

"It doesn't look so bad at first glance" <-- HAHAHAHA! Maybe not to YOU! LOL Wow, that is a crazy workout! Good for you!! I wish I had 1/2 your talent (and determination).

Love the pics of your family! Thanks for sharing them with us!

Mommy Run Fast said...

30 second rest intervals between mile repeats? That is killer! You are developing some serious mental toughness with the treadmill speed work, nice job!! I'm always so inspired by your workouts. :)

Christina Williams said...

Looks like loads of fun for Spring Break! I love the pic of all the kids in the pool. Darn it for the more snow ... I am just hoping we are done here. Pretty sure we are since the weird Spring storms seem to be setting in. I can't even wrap my brain yet around the "Gut Buster" ... just so impressive!

Terzah said...

Catching up with your blog! There's nothing like having a place like that amusement park to yourself, and I *love* the trampoline place.

I hope things have melted off for you by now. The worst part about doing that workout on the treadmill to me would have been ratcheting the speed up and down on those 30 second rests. You get it down there....and it's already time to turn it back up! Good job toughing it out! I can't wait to see how your next race goes.