Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Mind is not Tired

There is nothing like a best friend who notices that you are feeling a bit overwhelmed and worn out, and that you are feeling bad about feeling overwhelmed and worn out, and then makes you feels better and reminds you - "You are HUMAN".

Good reminder!

Last night was just a rare night in which I was feeling a little burnt. It was the end of a long day. A bunch of kids needed a bunch of things all at the same time. I had a lot of work to do. I had a lot of housework to do. I was tired. The phone would not stop ringing. I was missing my husband.

Truth be told, we have done really well since Josh started his new job. He has always worked long hours so in all honesty it isn't a huge change for me to do homework, dinner, bedtime, etc. on my own. I love my kids, I love our family, I love my life, and I am used to the workload that comes with it. But, some nights I miss having some back-up, and I always miss Josh. Indoor track season is done though which means he will be home a lot more on the weekends. Spring track has already started but the meets are usually just day trips. More time with him home will be great!

The early mornings are MY time - the only time I have to myself when no one needs me. Sure, I would love (LOVE) more sleep, but the trade is worth it to me. This morning I decided to get outside. It was dark and it was cold, but a few days of sun had melted almost all of the ice off of the roads (just in time for it to snow some more today!) and the idea of getting off of the treadmill was too good to pass up. So I left the house super early and ran 12 miles in 14 degrees. It felt amazing to get outside. My legs were tired after three quality runs in five days and a strength routine this morning, but a nice easy run outside was just what my body, mind, and soul were needing.

Now I have had some sleep, some time with Josh this morning, a talk with my BFF, and a nice run - and am feeling recharged again.


I love this quote, and it so applies to running, parenthood, and LIFE.

If you focus on how tired you are, how much work you have to do, how stressed you are, etc., then you probably will be. When you are running if you think about how far you have to go, how tired your legs are, how big the hill in front of you is, etc. then you will likely struggle. But if you think positive thoughts, if you notice all that is going well, and if you encourage, support, and believe in yourself in all that you do (especially when it is hard, when you are tired, or when you are struggling), you can find the strength to accomplish what you set out to, and you will have a lot more happiness and fun while doing it. 

So, that's my message for today. Remember you are human. Make the time to do the things that recharge you when you are overwhelmed. Focus on all of the good in life. Be your own cheerleader. Believe in yourself and the power of your mind. Run Happy!

More soon. :)

13 comments:

Kayla said...

Oooh, what a GREAT quote. Thank you!

portia o said...

I love this quote. Thank you thank you for always providing a great quote right when I need it!!

Mark Matthews said...

Nice. Love it.

Karin said...

Wow. This post came at just the right time. And I love the quote. I feel less stressed just having read this! Thanks!

Gracie said...

An excellent quote! Thank you.

Jill said...

I hear ya on the sleep - another hour would be incredible. But just persevere as best we know how and you're doing an excellent, excellent job!! :)

Rene' said...

I needed this post today. My husband is at the tail end of a 2 week business trip and I am spent. I am used to him traveling, but sometimes I just want someone else around. Reading that quote made me stop and think and to also stop feeling sorry for myself. Now off to bed.

Nicole said...

Great post. My husband is a pilot and is gone more than I would like, but it is what it is. I miss him so much when he is away and so do the kids. Some weeks are better than others but as the kids get older, it seems to be getting harder. I thank God for running. It is what I do to stay sane and happy and have some time just to myself.

greengirlrunning said...

This post came at just the most perfect time for me! With our house remodel the roof is tarped and of coyrse last night we had a windy rain which tore some tarp off and water got into the finished part of the house. I started looking around at the mess, the soaked rug, alllll the things that have yet to be done and had a moment of panic, but there's nothing I could do. When I have these moments I try to pull myself back to the moment, remind myself of the things that are GOOD and let the other stuff go. Not always easy. Glad you got to have some bff and husband time... support people sure can make a world of difference!

L.A. Runner said...

I'm actually kind of relieved that you have down days. Haha. I guess just picture you as a running version of Mrs. Brady. I wouldn't have believed it until recently, but I definitely see power in rejuvinating mentally. Sometimes stuff just gets to be too much. Those "breaks" are needed for me to not totally lose it. Haha. Hang tough; you're doing great!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

That's what I'm here for. Love you bunches. Even in your weakest moments, you run circles around the rest of us (pun intended)!!!

Jan said...

What a great message. It's so easy to get stuck in the "poor me, I'm so tired" routine, but clearly you are't one of those people!!

I just stumbled across your blog and I'm totally in awe of both your fast times and your ability to keep it together with a large family. You're a rock star!

coach dion said...

I was out in the dark this morning, it was easy to get up, but the run was hard and slow. I can't work hard early morning on my own...
I take my hat off to you.