Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring Stuff!

Happy Easter! The kids are on Spring Break this week and between that and Easter, we have had a lot of fun and excitement. We have a fun little getaway planned for the end of the week and the weather has been beautiful for the past few days. It is still in the upper teens or low 20's when I run in the early mornings, but we have been in the low 50's during the afternoons and it is great. The snow is melting, melting, melting, and should be mostly gone with a few more days of this weather. It will certainly snow more, although it should not stick for long now.

Here is a picture I snapped the other day -


Care to wager a guess on how many eggs I hard-boiled and we dyed? The answer is 72. Six dozen. That's a lot of eggs! We had fun with it though (and I have no doubt that they will get eaten in no time!).  :)

Some of the kids in action
A sampling of the creations
There is A LOT of candy in this house right now. I don't usually buy candy, but I do love to "do up" holidays. It's too much fun and I want the kids to have fun and good memories from holidays. Here is what the table looked like when the kids woke up this morning (a few of the kids had their piles on the counter). When I was buying all of those huge chocolate bunnies, the guy at the checkout said, "I want to have Easter wherever you are having Easter!" :)


That big orange bowl is filled with M&Ms, Hershey kisses, etc. and the big green bowl is filled with all kinds of jelly beans (Josh's very favorite). 


For the record, I haven't had a single piece of candy, and don't plan on having any. I am really focusing on putting quality food into my body with all the training I am doing. I figure it doesn't make a lot of sense to work so hard to run well and get into great shape and then eat a bunch of junk.  And it is easier for me to not have any than to try and just have a little - one jelly bean turns into one handful, which turns into three handfuls, etc. etc. I am leaving it all alone, which really hasn't been very hard.

Here is a pic of my awesome kids from right after church today.

Aren't they gorgeous? I just wish they would stop growing up so dang fast. 
I saw this posted on Facebook and had to share. Hilarious! I get asked this ALL THE TIME. Big family humor. :)


I ended up with 379 miles run in March and am feeling super! I had a really great week of running last week with a BIG track workout and then a rocking tempo run. (24 degrees but sunny, 10 miles total, 2@ 8:00 to warm up, then 6 tempo miles at 6:23 average pace, then 2 cool down miles at 8:00). I had been really struggling with tempo runs on the treadmill and this run (outside!) was just what I needed. It was a blast, and a confidence booster.

This morning I got up early and did a 20 miler and it was another really, really good run. It was just a steady run at a very comfortable pace - no fast miles (those runs are coming though). It was one of those runs though were I felt like I could run all day - my energy was really good, nothing was sore or overly tired, everything felt great, and I really enjoyed myself. It was a gorgeous morning and an awesome start to the day.

I am looking forward to another great week of running and a lot of fun with Josh and the kids. Yay for Spring!! I hope you all had a very Happy Easter! More soon. :)

15 comments:

Amy Z said...

That is a LOT of candy in the house! I did not have any candy, either, and I am happy. Way to go with 379 miles this month! Wow-do I feel like a slacker when I see that. I have a feeling you are going to rock your next race!

Jill said...

LOTS of eggs, and LOTS and LOTS of candy! I would have a very hard time resisting the jelly beans (thus I didn't buy any for my kids this year :)). You are so strong and I greatly admire that.

I'm excited that this winter crap is almost gone, but I am noticing my spring allergies starting to flare up. Ugh, such a trade-off - I'm not sure what's worse. But it is nice to be off the treadmill (soon!).

So happy to hear you're still on fire - woohoo!! :)

Holly K-N said...

And I thought I ate a lot of hard boiled eggs...

[Although, 1 person X 18 HBE's/wk would be way more than 72 for your clan!]

I took drastic measures this year to avoid Easter candy: I moved to a not-predominantly-Christian country. No candy eggs, no jelly beans, no nothing. BINGO.

Your retort to the "kids" question reminds me of mine, when people ask, "Did you cut your hair???" (I am addicted to the idea of long hair, so I let it grow, then chopping it all off again.) My reply is usually something like, "No, I paid someone to do it." Once a smart aleck, always a smart aleck...:-/

Amy Lauren said...

That's a ton of candy- but if you only give it to your kids for holidays, then they kinda get used to the idea that it's not an everyday thing, and it makes the holiday special :). So I think that's pretty neat. But, I really admire your dedication to avoid it- I guess you know it only tastes good for awhile but if it affects your training, I don't blame you. I don't think it's worth risking a bunch of bad runs over just to have a handful of jelly beans, you know? Looks like you guys had a happy Easter, hope Spring Break is great and hope the snow melts soon!

coach dion said...

I had given up chocolate for Lent... Boy did I miss it, but that said I am pleased we have Monday as a holiday... Spent 2h30 on the mountain running off all the chocolate from yesterday!!!

Looks like the training is coming on nicely.

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

so impressed with all the candy in the house and that you aren't eating it! I would be diving into that jellybean bowl! Love your big beautiful family.
Nice mileage this month! You are killing it!

fancy nancy said...

Girl you should live in Texas...big family, big celebrations, big mileage!! Seriously though what a beautiful family you have! Great job on your mileage and keeping healthy fuel!!

Diana Martinez said...

Your family is gorgeous! Happy Easter!

ryanandginger said...

Just one question. Will they eat it all in one day? Or stretch it out?

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

Beautiful Easter picture of your kids. Way to go on the great month of running. Your training sounds like it is going fantastic, I'm glad you are able to start doing more running outside where you prefer. I'm curious that you think the treadmill is harder than outside running. Do you mean mentally or physically? I am finding I can hold my paces much easier on the treadmill vs outside, so was just wondering if you had any tips about that.

Vicky Cook said...

Nice threshold run! I saw someone said it was actually faster than your 10k PR, you've got to be happy with that! You're training says sub 3 for sure, how long until the next marathon?

Julie said...

What a beautiful view when you are running ... it would be hard to NOT be inspired to get out on those roads! Congrats on a great running month of March!

And what a gorgeous photo of your kids!! I too am avoiding the candy bowl here ... I tried to buy stuff that they love and I don't! :)

SupermomE12 said...

YES it is a lot of candy but remember it is for a lot of people. and oh my gosh NO NO NO they will not eat it all in one day. It will last for weeks and weeks. :)

Amy N. said...

I'm with you! It's easier to refrain completely then to trust my ability to restrain myself once I've had a taste of the good stuff!

Sounds like everything is going well over at your casa! You have such a beautiful family!

Renita Cuccia said...

I just wanted to thank you for being an inspiration. On my last long run, I thought of you when I got tired - my thought: if she can do complete her runs with 12 kids, I can complete mine with 1! Thank you! And LOL @ taking the neighbor's kids shopping! ;)