Friday, March 15, 2013

Lucky

My exciting running-related news is that I have a new coach!

First I need to say that Sage was truly great to work with. He is very smart and knowledgeable, loves the sport of running, is a super talented athlete, and really just knows his stuff. (HUGE congrats to Sage for winning the 2013 Tarawera Ultramarathon 100k today in New Zealand!!!)

Sage helped me a great deal. He got me back on my feet after a rough few months- he helped me recover from being over-trained, he helped me get strong, and he helped me to a new PR. I have nothing but good to say about him.

So why the change? I have gotten to a point where I know what I want and what I need. Sage was very upfront with what he would provide as a coach and it worked for awhile, but I knew that it was not what I needed or wanted long term. He gave me great training plans, but there was minimal interaction and not a lot of coaching or support. With his own training and racing as a professional runner, and the producing of his Vo2max Training Videos, he is a busy, busy guy.

What I wanted was to find the right coach for me - someone I could build a long-term, strong, working, coach-athlete relationship with.  Since I train almost completely on my own, the support, encouragement, guidance, and direction from a coach is very valuable to me. I don't need a lot of hand-holding, but I wanted someone that would be available when needed. I wanted someone who would get to know me and care about me as an athlete and a person. I wanted someone who could help me now and in the big picture, someone who will push me and challenge me, and also pull me back when necessary.

Before I started working with Sage, I learned the hard way that I had to be cautious with who I trusted my training to. I put a great deal of my heart and soul into my training and I needed someone who would respect that. I needed someone that knew their stuff. I needed someone experienced with coaching competitive marathoners. I needed someone I would enjoy working with. I wanted this to be the last coaching change I make for the foreseeable future, so I was going to be picky and I was going to be smart about it.

The nice thing was that there was no pressure or time frame since I was working with Sage on a month to month basis. For a while I have been doing lots of research, sending emails, having phone calls, etc. I knew what I was looking for, and I knew I would know it when I found it.

From the first email with Coach Doug Storey, I had a really good feeling. After looking at a training plan he had made for another competitive marathoner, talking with him, reading the blog of another girl he coaches (Vicky has a current PR of 3:01 and will also be running Chicago!), and giving it a lot of thought and prayer, I knew Coach Doug was the right coach for me. I am so glad he was willing to have me as one of the small group of competitive marathoners he coaches.

I have a shiny new training plan to get me to Cox Providence Marathon. It is intimidating and exciting all at the same time, which is what I think a training plan should be. I am excited to get to work, and I am excited and grateful to have Coach Doug to guide me on this journey.

So that is my news. I have felt really excited and happy about it.

(If anyone needs/wants an evaluation of their training, Sage is not currently taking new runners to coach, but he does thorough coaching consultations for $25, and it is money very well spent).

GOOD LUCK to everyone racing this weekend! There are lots of races happening, and I hope the Luck of the Irish is with you all. :) Erin Go Bragh! (Which means Ireland Forever!) The kids and I will be rocking out to the Young Dubliners, Flogging Molly, the Chieftans, and the Dropkick Murphys this weekend.

Fun fact you probably didn't know about me - I played the violin for years and years and years. Quite well. For a few years on St. Patty's Day I played the violin for a friend that did Irish step-dancing, and we performed a few times in a few places. You don't even want to know how many times I have played "The Irish Washerwoman". Irish music was always my favorite kind to play. :)


11 comments:

Holly K-N said...

I'm pretty new here - but congrats! Having a good relationship with a solid coach that fits YOUR needs is super-important, and really good feeling.

Also? A new training plan is almost as good as new shoes: Shiny, bright, unmarred by anything, full of possibility. LOVE IT. Enjoy the ride! :)

Amy Lauren said...

Hooray for a new coach and training plan :). And it rocks to be named Erin this weekend, just sayin' :).

Christina Williams said...

Oh my ... confession ... I played the violin too! For years growing up, my mom made me :) (I have no idea how to play it anymore.) The coaching change is exciting in many aspects and I understand what you mean about putting your heart and soul into training and needing someone who is part of that process. That is super important to me too, I feel this sport is an emotional one and mental as well as physical training support needs to be part of the coaching!

Laura Boll said...

So glad you found a new coach that you feel really good about! I look forward to hearing more about how it goes with him, and how the training comes together. Enjoy your weekend!

Jill said...

Hey sweet girl...
You know from my last blog post I went through the same thing with a coach. I have been able to run just fine on my own for 35 years (and, in fact, AM a coach), but for some of the same reasons as you, I felt I had to find someone to get me back on the right track after my foot fiasco. I researched and researched and felt I picked the perfect match for me...but 2 weeks in, I knew the fit wasn't good but I was too weak to do much about it. Eventually, it erupted just before a big race and it was really, really tough. But I have a new ultra coach now (mostly, I think I'm uncoachable :)) and it's going TONS better. So I fully understand what you're going through and I have faith that you have found your perfect match. I love how excited you sound...this can only be good :).

Happy St. Patty's Day, Erin Go Bragh! :)

(oh, btw, was your old coach Sage Cannady? He is friends with my new coach, Tim Long).

greengirlrunning said...

Congrats on your new coach! I'm familiar with that excitement ;) When you know, you just know. Wonderful news!

Kristen Lawrence said...

Excited for you and congrats for making what must have been a very tough decision.

coach dion said...

As I coach I know what you mean, I have an athlete who live 500km away, and we use Facebook email and the odd call to program her and I can tell you it's hard of me as a coach to get the right feel of how her training is coming on.

So I think you are now moving in the right direction, can't wait for the first race...

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Congrats on the new coach! I can totally understand why this is such a tough decision to make and agree that the coach-runner relationship needs to be just right for the runner....and the coach.

Good luck!

Kathy said...

Congrats on the new coach Er.. He is luck to have you!!

Terzah said...

Catching up on your blog! Congrats on the new coach (and I'm glad Sage was there to push you to the next level).

I think I did know you are a violin player (so is my husband--after 20 years he's taking lessons again, and had a recital last December--him and a bunch of high school kids :^) ). My dream is to be an adult-onset banjo player, probably due to my obsession with Mumford & Sons. There are some cheap banjos on Craig's List....

Anyway, Happy Late St. Paddy's Day from another Irish girl.