Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lots

It has been a busy week around here. Lots of appointments, lots of work, lots to do, lots of running... all good stuff... just lots of it. The sun has been shining though, the temps are creeping up (in the upper 40's today!), the snow is slowly melting, and it is starting to feel like spring is coming. I have been running outside more and more which makes me super happy, even though rotten Daylight Savings went and made my mornings dark again. 

Josh and five of the kids have started spring track (at the high school and junior high) and we have prom next weekend (Sadies and Nate both have dates and lots of fun planned). Sadies is graduating high school in May (crazy, crazy, crazy) and my parents and Jennifer are all coming out for that (yay!) so the planning has started. People tell you when your kids are little that they will grow up before you know it and you nod but don't really believe it... and then you blink, and they are getting ready to graduate.

Here is a quick funny story. A new kid just moved here and joined the track team. Josh is the throwing coach and the new kid came out to throw. He noticed Des (one of our African American daughters) calling Josh "Dad', and then noticed Sadies (also African American) calling Josh "Dad" too. Then he saw Ryan (our bio son) calling Josh "Dad". The kid finally said to Josh, "So, are we are all supposed to call you Dad?" Ha!! :) Josh explained that he could call him Coach, and said that only his kids called him Dad. He confirmed that Des, Sadies, and Ryan were all his kids, pointed out Nate and Shane as his kids as well, and told him that there were 7 more at home. The kid said he thought the rest of the team was just messing with him. Too funny. :)

I love St. Patrick's Day. Josh isn't Irish, but he makes the most amazing corned beef and cabbage, and if I do say so myself, my Irish Soda Bread rocks. I have not found a way to make it gluten/dairy free though. St. Patty's Day marks one week until my birthday - here comes 36. :)

I do have some good and exciting news related to my running, but  that will get a post of it's own in the next day or two. I am feeling good - working hard and believing.

I am more than ready for some sleep, so I will leave you with some quote from the awesome Kara Goucher. Love her!

"Never underestimate the power that one good workout will have on your mind. Keeping the dream alive is half the battle."  

"Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead." 


"Don't try to rush progress. Remember -- a step forward, no matter how small, is a step in the right direction. Keep believing." 

"Once you make the decision that you will not fail, the heart and the body will follow." 



11 comments:

Jen@runfortheboys said...

LOVE the Dad/Coach story...too funny!!! And ummm don't hold out too long on the running news...this inquiring mind wants to know! Can't wait to see everybody in May!!!!!!!

greengirlrunning said...

That story about Josh and the kids made me laugh out loud! So great :)

Happy Running Mama said...

Such a funny story about Josh! I'm sure you could write a book about all the comments people have made to you about your family over the years. Mostly, I'm sure everyone is in awe and inspired by your family. But I'm sure you have your share of funny (and probably rude, too) comments. I just can't comprehend having 12 kids and yet am jealous at the same time. Despite the massive amount of work required, I bet there is a lot of fun that goes on as well!

MCM Mama said...

I love that story about "dad". Ha!

Glad your running is going well!!

Canuck Mom said...

LOL!! This gave me a much needed chuckle. Can not wait to hear your running news. I love Kara too and was so happy to read those quotes today. There are often bumps in the road, but she is right in that you have to keep moving forward.:)

Nicole said...

Ahhh, that is a really cute story. Looking forward to hearing your running news.

L.A. Runner said...

High schoolers will really keep you on your toes! Haha. Glad things are going well and looking foward to what you have to tell us.

Cory Reese said...

I think "Dad" would be an appropriate nickname considering his care for children.

Amy N. said...

Poor new kid. I could see how that's totally confusing. Hilarious!

Ah! I hate teasers! I can't wait to hear your good running news! I'm glad things are going well for you!

One Thankful Mom said...

I'm still laughing, Erin. Fantastic story about Josh and the track team.

Amy Lauren said...

I love the dad/coach story. That's pretty awesome :). It kinda reminds me of being a kid in school and accidentally calling the teacher mom, hehe. Glad the weather is warming up a bit there and hooray for prom season!