Saturday, March 2, 2013

Inspired

Today I am feeling overwhelmingly inspired and in love with the sport of running!

There are lots and lots of races going on this weekend, and I have many friends and acquaintances racing. All of their posts on social media about racing expos, getting ready for race day, pics from the starting line, post race reports, etc. has me filled up with the excitement and joy that comes with racing. My emotions from Tallahassee are still very fresh - and rediscovering my joy and the fun of racing has left a permanent smile on my heart. Having my body feel healthy and strong, and seeing constant progress is exciting and fun, and it leaves me very much looking forward to my next race (Cox Providence Marathon on May 12).

Josh is out of town with the high school track team at our State meet this weekend, and it has been lots of fun to follow my kids and the rest of the team. They did extremely well (especially for a small school competing against big schools). Records were broken and medals were won. I love high school sports and am so proud of our kids. I am super proud of Josh too - one of his throwers was the state runner-up and set a new school record. Awesome! They all start spring/outdoor track on Monday and are pumped up for a great season.

The USA Indoor Track and Field Championships have been going on this weekend too and there has been all sorts of awesomeness coming out of that meet.  And if you need a little inspiration, check out this awesome video of the incredible Lopez Lomong setting a new American record in the indoor 5000m last night. (And seriously, if you haven't read his book yet, Running for My Life, do yourself a favor and read it).

I am so inspired by other runners - of all levels, ages, speeds, and abilities. I am inspired by the professionals who set amazing records, I am inspired by the middle-aged runners that are run-walking their first official races, and I am inspired by everyone in between. That is one of the many things that are so great about running - all are welcome, all can play, all are encouraged, all are respected, all are celebrated. Congrats to everyone who raced today and good luck to everyone who races tomorrow!

Thanks for all the encouraging comments on my last post. I have another appointment on Monday and will be discussing if a second opinion is wise/needed at this point. Of course it was not good news to get, but overall I am feeling very grateful. I am grateful I had the screening done when I did and that we caught things when we did. I am grateful I have access to good health care. I am grateful that I took control of my health and fitness four years ago and am now very healthy and strong. I am grateful for the people I have that are always there for me.

My training is still revving back up, but so far it is going really well. I had a strong 16 miler yesterday morning - that I had finished before 6:30am! Josh was out of town and I had to be done by the time the kids needed to be up, so it was an early (even earlier than usual) start to the day. Today I had a glorious 10 miler outside with a friend, and tomorrow I am looking forward to an 800's workout. Yay for running! I love it. Truly.

"Running has always been a relief and a sanctuary—something that makes me feel good, both physically and mentally. For me it's not so much about the health benefits. Those are great, but I believe that the best thing about running is the joy it brings to life."  - Kara Goucher

"Running defines me. It is a euphoric feeling I look forward to every day. It keeps me connected to life." -Allan Steinfield 

"For me, a day without running is like a day without eating. It's like going without food."  
-Haile Gebrselassie 

"I loved the feeling of freedom in running, the fresh air, the feeling that the only person I'm competing with is me." -Wilma Rudolph 

"A lot of people say they love running because of how they feel afterward. Not me. Well, I love that, too, but it's also so much fun while I'm out there." -Dick Beardsley 

"We runners are all a little nutty, but we're good people who just want to enjoy our healthy, primitive challenge. Others may not understand running, but we do, and we cherish it. That's our only message."  -John J. Kelley

"Every day is a good day when you run."  -Kevin Nelson

7 comments:

Amy Z said...

I love getting that itching feeling for a race. I am just 2 weeks post-marathon and already missing race weekends...so I signed up for a small, local 20K next weekend.

Mallory said...

I'll be cheering you on in Providence! I love this inspiring post!

greengirlrunning said...

I can totally feel your love and excitement for running and racing through this post!!! One of the first people whose story really inspired me when I started running, is Joy Johnson of San Jose, Ca. She's in her 80s and runs the NYC Marathon every year! She says that she has told her friends that if she collapses while running, to wait 15 minutes and then call paramedics... she hopes that when her time comes, it'll be when she's running! I love when running becomes so intertwined in a persons life that it truly is a lifestyle :)

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

"Yay for running! I love it. Truly"
me too, such a liberating feeling to be out running.

Christina Williams said...

I love the "We runners are a little nutty quote ..." I sometimes feel like I'm the only one in my circle of acquaintances and friends, and then I remember other runners out here writing about their journeys, and I realize I am not alone. So much joy, courage, and inspiration to be found! :) Hugs for next week's appt and some solid running wishes!

Mommy Run Fast said...

Catching up after a week away... I'll keep you in prayer with the warning signs, that's scary... but sounds like you are in a good place. And I've been feeling inspired by the running community, too! Thanks for your sweet comment today!

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

I have the itch to race right now. It has been way too long (6 months!) since I towed the starting line of a race. Due to some illness and now injury, it looks like my next race will be the Boston Marathon in 6 more weeks. I cannot wait to get back to that racing feeling.

Sending positive thoughts for your appointment.