Monday, March 18, 2013

A few of my favorite things...

It's Monday night - and I am TIRED.  So this is just going to be a fun, quick post. :)

I have gotten some great suggestions from other runners on all kinds of stuff, so I am going to share with you a few things that I am really enjoying lately. :) None of these products are things that I was sent or asked to promote and I am not sponsored by any of the companies mentioned (except for Brooks!). These are all things I buy and use just because I like them.

Peanut Butter & Co peanut butters! Peanut butter is my probably my favorite food, and Peanut Butter & Co is the best! Dark Chocolate Dreams and White Chocolate Wonderful are both amazing (and there are quite a few other flavors), but my very, very favorite is Cinnamon Raisin Swirl...
I put a spoonful in my hot cereal every morning and a spoonful or two in my mouth as a treat sometimes. So so yummy. They have a sandwich shop in NYC and the next time we go home I want to go! (My birthday is on Sunday. Anyone struggling with gift ideas can just send me a jar!!) Just kidding. Sort of. :)

Some other things I am really enjoying to eat lately is bananas, eggs, berries, avocados, green tea, spaghetti squash, brown rice, sweet potatoes, tilapia, grapes (we finally have them again in our grocery store for a decent price!), Glutino's multigrain bread, cantaloupe and honeydew.

Mission Athlete care -I started using Mission Athlete Care products back in the fall, and I am a huge fan now. I use the 5 Hour Anti-Chafe stick for all my long runs and races and it works better for me than any similar product. After the Tallahassee Marathon I had zero chafing, blisters, or any of the usual post-marathon battle scars. I also really love their sunblock stick and the Lip Balmers (especially Pomegranate).



Hammer Vegan Protein -
I don't eat a lot of nutrition bars or products like that, but I do like a good recovery drink with some carbs and protein, and since I can't have any type of dairy (casein or whey either), my options are limited. I have been using this new product from Hammer and I really like it! 


Mega Food Vitamins - I never used to take vitamins, but since I have been training hard and some food allergies and sensitivities, my doctor recommended some supplements. I like Mega Food supplements because they are made from farm fresh whole foods, which makes them more easily processed by the body.


If you need an iron supplement, their Blood Builder is a great product (and very gentle on the stomach).

Active Bands! I know there are tons of different headbands out there, but I love Active Bands. The family that makes them rocks and I wear them daily to train and when I race. 



My Grid Roller! I have tried lots of different rollers and tools, and the Grid Roller by Trigger Point is the one I can't go without. Using it regularly once or twice a day really keeps my leg muscles happy.



 And as always, my Brooks PureFlow 2's!  You can read my full review here. This is my favorite color combo right now. They are SO bright. :) Definitely fast shoes.
I don't have a lot of time to watch TV, and when I do I almost always fall asleep within minutes. I am not capable of watching a movie all the way through without snoozing right now. But I LOVE me some Modern Family. Dang this show is funny. I haven't loved a sitcom in a long time, but this show is my favorite and always makes me laugh and laugh and laugh.



My other show right now is Mad Men! Somehow I had never seen an episode of this before a month or two ago. I was desperate for something to help pass the hours on the treadmill and started watching season 1. Oh boy did I get hooked. I watched all five seasons online (all on the treadmill) and now can't wait for the Season 6 Premier on April 7 (if I can stay awake... which is doubtful).   



and last but not least... some quotes! I always love quotes. :)

“If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.” - Ellen Johnson Sirleaf 

"In response to those who say to stop dreaming and face reality, I say keep dreaming and make reality."  ~Kristian Kan

"If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."  ~Thomas Alva Edison

"Don't let anyone steal your dream.  It's your dream, not theirs."  ~Dan Zadra

"There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream."  ~Author Unknown   


Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend! And shout out to Janet (my friend in NY) who ran a 4:22 marathon in Washington D.C.!!! Awesome!! 

 What are some of your favorite things? Favorite food? Gear you can't live without? TV show? Quote? Hope your Monday was good. More soon. :)

16 comments:

Cory Reese said...

You had me at peanut butter. I've never seen that before but it looks amazing. I'm going to keep my eye out for that one.

Christina Williams said...

Oh my, I swear we are on the same brain wave length. I JUST bought the dark chocolate version on that peanut butter! I made a smear in a wrap with bananas ... yum! :) I am going to try the Mission sunscreens this year. I am needing some new ones and saw the prices are really decent and I do like ones with a little less "junk" ingredients. Don Draper ... yum! :) And thanks for the feedback today, btw. Getting to my foam rolling when I am done posting here :) Hugs!

Amy Lauren said...

Okay, it's like this post read my mind too, because I agree that is the best PB ever (other flavors PB&Co makes are good, but this one is THE BEST) and I just bought a Mission Skincare lip balm which I love, may want to try some of their other products now that you mentioned them.

I'm going to check out those vitamins too, I've had low iron and that might really help (I currently take a liquid supplement).

And of course, Modern Family is the best. Funniest show on TV right now!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

The one thing I cannot live without when I am running is my tunes. Gotta have 'em!!!

coach dion said...

I find pure Peanut Butter just a little sticky, so I always have the choc chip that we get here in SA. But today my rolls I have lettus, tomato, cheese...

Holly K-N said...

Current Favorite Things:

1. CWX Compression Gear
2. Cadbury's Old Gold dark chocolate bars
3. Feta cheese
4. Athleta's summery dresses (I recently moved to the tropics, and these are cute & cool)
5. Foam Roller (also a Grid user).

Current Quote: "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"

misszippy said...

We share many favorites! I love PB & co. stuff, especially the cinnamon raisin. I try to keep it out of the house, though, b/c I can go a little crazy with it.

Love Modern Family and Mad Men. I have a crush on the gray-haired guy, whatever his name is!

My new favorite running product is Swiftwick socks--they have been my anti-blister secret when nothing else was.

Canuck Mom said...

Yummy!! Will be trying that peanut butter.

Kayla said...

Peanut butter - oh boy, am I a fan. I once read an interview with Madonna where she said she couldn't go a day without peanut butter, and that totally endeared her to me. ;-) I have to have it every day too! I was inspired by reading about your breakfast oatmeal in previous posts, so I have started occasionally making myself a bowl with walnuts, dried fruit or coconut, milk, and honey. I'm hypoglycemic, so I can't have it too often, but I sure do enjoy it when I do! Haven't tried adding PB to my oatmeal, though I like to add it to Greek yogurt with vanilla protein powder and honey!

Shirley said...

Funny! I just ordered a pair of Brooks PureFlows last night, and then I read your blog today and see a photo of the exact color combination that I chose! Should go well with my neon yellow Brooks NightLife jacket! (Although...I did like the black/turquoise combo of the original PureFlows--but I've got 370 miles on them!!!)

R Dunker said...

My favorite things: my Garmin 610, peanut butter (creamy Jif -not healthy kind) and crackers, chocolate (I'm an addict), my DVR to record my favorite shows (too many to mention), iPhhone, and my coach (you) who makes me accountable!

Raina said...

That's some crazy-wild PB!!

My foam roller is worn out, so will take your endorsement for the grid and run with it. Time to replace!

I had never heard of 5-hour antichafe. Sounds like a good product.

Good to see your sunny smile today, Brooks sister!

Jessica DuBois said...

That peanut butter sounds amazing!!! No doubts it will be impossible to find here.
Love the look of your runners! So fun!

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

I have not heard of Peanut Butter & Co., but I must find them now! Thanks for listing some of what you are eating, I am starting to eat Gluten free for a couple of reasons and you gave me some new ideas. And I also love my Brooks PureFlows!

Charlyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charlyn said...

Love the tips!!!
Charlyn @ activewomom.com