Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What's next?

Happy Tuesday! I meant to blog all weekend and just never got any free time to sit down and do it. We did have lots of fun family time, which was much needed and much enjoyed. :)

I am back to running again everyday, although just short, easy miles for the rest of this week. I am really happy with how my body is feeling. The soreness and heaviness from after the marathon is gone and my energy levels are feeling much more normal. (Don't you love that "hit by a train" tiredness that comes a day or two after a hard race?)

Mentally I am in a great place. I am very content, happy, and grateful with how everything went in Tallahassee. Of course I am frustrated with my stomach issues (will post an update after some tests and appointments coming up) but I am very happy with how I ran, and with how I felt physically and mentally. It felt so good to race well and to feel strong. Even when it hurt and even when I was so very tired in the final miles, I loved it. I loved running. I loved the marathon. I loved racing.

So now I am looking ahead with excitement and joy. I am excited to get back to training. I am excited to continue to make progress. I am excited to race again. And I am SO very grateful that I am able to do this. I am grateful for a healthy and strong body, a determined heart and spirit, and all the love and encouragement I get from so many.

It was decided that I would race three marathons this year. Tallahassee was the first, and I have decided for sure that Chicago will be the third (on Oct. 13). I had been planning on running the San Diego Rock n Roll on June 1 as my race in the middle, however some conflicts have come up with our family schedule and I am weighing other options.

I am waiting for some feedback from Sage, but here is the list I am considering and I would be super grateful for any feedback any of you have on any of these races. :)

May 12 - Cox Providence Marathon (Rhode Island) The pro's are that it is a fast course at sea level and the weather should be great. Rhode Island is close enough to Long Island that I am pretty sure my parents would come. The con for this one is that is the soonest, and would only leave me with 12 weeks of training. Also, it is on Mother's Day. I would love getting to see my parents on Mother's Day, but it would be sad to not be with my kids.

May 18 - Fargo Marathon (North Dakota) This is a flat, fast course that typically has good running weather. I have a few friends running it that I could share a hotel room with. It is a very well-reviewed race from what I can see. The only downside is that it is only 13 weeks out from next week.

May 19 - Green Bay Marathon (Wisconsin)  This is another course that looks great. It was cancelled because of a crazy heat wave last year although I think that the weather is normally good.  Timing is the same as Fargo.

May 25 - Bay Shore Marathon - I missed registration for this one, but got on the wait list and they let runners transfer entries so I imagine I will be able to get in if I want to.   The course and weather look great and I have a friend that is also running. 14 weeks of training.

May 26 - Med City Marathon -  Smaller sized race, but lots of good reviews (and I really liked the smaller race size and low-key feel at Tallahassee). 14 weeks of training. Course and weather look good and someone I would love to spend time with lives on the course and has offered to let me stay with her.

June 9 - Utah Valley Marathon -  16 weeks of training. This is a local race for me (about 3 hours away). It starts at 6000 ft elevation (all the others are at much lower elevation). The course drops 1500 ft from start to finish and I typically run very well on these types of courses (my quads hold up fine), although there are some uphill sections as well. It starts early and up a canyon so temps are cool. Those who have been reading here for awhile know that I ran this last year and it was my one and only DNF ever. It was a horrible day for me. Conditions were perfect but I had no energy at all and hit the wall at mile 8 (seriously - mile 8) and things started to hurt and cramp and affect my gait after that. Part of me never wants to see the course again, and part of me wants redemption.

Then there is San Diego Rock n Roll (the original plan) on June 2. 15 weeks of training. The weather will likely be warmer than I would choose, although isn't supposed to be too warm. They are announcing a new course this week. I do get a free entry to this through Brooks and have an awesome teammate to room with that I would love to get to hang out with. I probably can make this work with our schedule if we decide this is the best race for me, but it isn't ideal with our family calendar. I am not a Rock n Roll lover or hater, and this San Diego race gets better reviews than most of the RnR races.

Since I am only racing three marathons this year I want to make the most of each of them and run the races that have the best potential for me to have a fast time (although there are never any guarantees of course). Ok smart people! Please give me some advice! Thanks!!!

23 comments:

Amy Z said...

I have heard great things about the Providence marathon! I think the course might get a bit of wind, but overall I hear it is a good course. I personally would not want to do a race again that I had a bad experience at, but that is just me. I can kind of see the redemption part, but I think the bad memories would haunt me. Too bad you have to stress about making a decision; San Diego would be amazing. They all sound like good choices, though.

Samantha said...

I ran Green Bay last year, and they canceled it when we were 15 miles in because of the heat. I wasn't too impressed with the organization of the race either.

I ran the Bayshore Half in 2007. I live in Michigan, and it's a hugely popular race. It's a fast and flat out and back, and it's perfect weather that time of year. You'd really enjoy it!

portia said...

I ran Providence last year. It was a decent course with quite a few miles on a pleasant bike path, but a fair amount of rollers at the end, some out and back repeated sections, and at one point you run over a bridge on a very narrow walkway and at the far end you have to descend on a steep winding ramp, which was a bit tough. The people were very friendly and it was well organized overall, but they ran out of water towards the end (I finished a bit under 5 hours) and I got very dehydrated. There were some sweet dedicated fans along the way but not too many. I didn't dislike it, but I don't think I'd run it again.

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

I don't know much about the races you have listed, other than redemption would be sweet in Utah! I am running the Mountains 2 Beach Marathon on May 26th. It runs from Ojai, CA to Ventura Beach. Looks like a nice net downhill course at sea level with decent weather, and I love California, so it works for me. Check it out if the week before San Diego would work better for you.

Kate said...

The only race from your list that I know anything about is the Fargo Marathon. I ran in the marathon relay last year and it was a wonderful experience! It was very well organized, enthusiastic crowds along the way, a flat and fast course.

Amy N. said...

You should look into the Newport Oregon marathon on June 1st. I did it last year and it's flat, at sea level, and although it's small it's very well supported. I loved it. It was fantastic last year and I can't wait to go again this year!

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

I ran Bayshore for my first marathon. It's great weather plus it's a resort town so a great weekend. Since its Memorial Day weekend, it's fills up fast. Hours for the half. A day or so for the full. Put Detroit on your list. It's a great marathon and its international. You run over the bridge to Canada and run back in the tunnel(underwater mile)

SupermomE12 said...

Thanks everybody for the input so far. :)

beth - Re:Ojai - I was really interested in that one and then their website just disappeared?? Is the race still on? Do you have a website address?

Amy - re: Newport - It looks great although it just won't work this year. (it was one of my first choices). It is not easy to get to though and with the long day of travel - long drives from airports on both ends -I can't make it work (my daughter is graduating from high school on May 30 and we will have family here until Friday). Thanks though! I am hoping for 2014 to run Newport. :)

Adrienne said...

Ok, not really familiar with any of those, except I hear Fargo is fast and friendly.

A bit of unsolicited advice, I like the low number of marathons. Keeps you fresher, healthier and hungrier.

robinbb said...

I haven't run it but I have lots of friends who have done Fargo and heard it is really really fast so that is where my vote would be. I have had no desire to do Providence ever and I live close by. I haven't heard bad things about it, but I haven't heard great things either.

Kristin said...

I haven't run Newport, but as a former Rhode Island Neighbor (CT), May is the BEST month in New England! Mornings are GORGEOUS, cool clear and ready to go. I can't speak for the course, but my sister ran the half and LOVED it...plus no ice bath necessary, just head into the ocean! It's CHILLY!

mountainkait.com said...

I'm from Rhode Island and have been dying to do that race-only because of the family/hometown factor. I decided last year to do the Sugarloaf Marathon in Sugarloaf Maine and this year we are moving right about then. It's a flat and fast course. You might want to check out Sugarloaf too-net downhill and beautiful views.

Nicole said...

Well, I am going to have to go with Rhode Island Cox Marathon since this is where I live. RI is beautiful that time of year and although I have never run it, I have heard great things. Plus, I would personally be there to cheer you on! Good luck with your decision.

Christina Williams said...

Hmmm ... I thought through your list and I like the idea of Med City. Since you have someone there you would enjoy to visit with, it is a smaller race so less chance of congestion issues, and Minnesota should most likely give you no heat indexes ... to me that would the the one I would pick. Of course, it is all a tricky decision! :) Good luck deciding ... I always like the idea of smaller races. I wish this was the year I was going to try for Chicago too!!! I have that on my hope list for next year since it is so close to me. It's my back up idea if I can't get into MCM. Maybe I'll be there after all :)

coach dion said...

The only thing is you have to take the down hill race off your list, because you can't count a PR run on a race like that...

but forget about the marathons, what other races are on your program? If you want to run a good marathon you need to run the fast 5km, 10km and half...

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Utah redemption. BFF. Done.

Jen@runfortheboys said...

My other thought was Rhode Island and I get to meet Paaaaaaaaammmmmmmm!!!!! But I want to see the kids again and the May-October spread is a little long for you between races, no?

Kathy said...

Chicago???? You'll be in my town :) We will be your cheering crew!!!

Annie Crow said...

How exciting that you'll be in Chicago! I'm running it too. I can't offer hospitality since our place is so small, but hopefully I could meet you?

And yes, there's something sweet about redemption, so I'd be thinking about Fargo in your Brooks.

fancy nancy said...

Everything is great in RI....that's where I'm from!!! You have a stocked calendar chickie...you're going to rock it!!

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

Erin, here is the website for the Ojai to Ventura marathon. They changed the name and website this year:
http://www.mountains2beachmarathon.com/

Mark Matthews said...

so, guess what. If you don't get into Bayshore, I know someone who is contemplating defering, who could instead transfer his entry to you (which is allowed, I read the rules). Yes, that's me. I'm in and out of injury, and trying hard to accept the fact that I'm just not built for 2 marathons a year. I'm going to give it some weeks before I decide, but if at that point you're interested, I'll give you a shout.

Aunt Melissa said...

Hi Erin- I don't have personal experience with Fargo, but many people in my Lifetime Fitness (Minneapolis, MN) have run it multiple times and seem to have had very positive experiences. I am actually thinking about running the 1/2 Marathon...