Thursday, February 7, 2013

Resting, Recovering, Recharing

I was ordered by Coach Sage to "not run a single step" for four days after the marathon. I can honestly say that I have not taken four days completely off since I first started running. But Sage has not steered me wrong yet, and I VERY much want to rest and recover properly so I can be 100% ready to go again when it's time, so I am following his guidance. I have not run a single step since the marathon. I have been rolling on the foam roller, using my Stick, and gently stretching twice a day and everything is feeling good. I also let myself be a bit gluttonous the last few days and have eaten way more than usual and lots of stuff I normally wouldn't (no gluten though). Starting today it is back to eating like an athlete. :)

Today is the last day of my "no-running" and I can't wait to run tomorrow, even though it will just be short, slow, and easy. I will have 10 days of short, slow, and easy runs. It will be a break from hard training, and one that I know will leave me refreshed physically and mentally. At the end, I will have had two weeks of super low mileage for me. I will get a little bit more sleep than usual and it will be no stress. I am embracing this rest and recovery period and making the most of it. I am recharging so I can move forward and continue to train hard and progress.

I have two more thoughts and some pics to share from the race, and then it is time to make dinner.

- I am a big believer in training for the race you are running, however, for all of you that HAVE to train on a treadmill, it is very possible to train effectively for a marathon on a treadmill. I trained almost exclusively on a treadmill since mid-November, including 23 milers, 100 mile weeks, speedwork, intervals, tempo runs, etc. It is not my first choice (and once the roads clear each spring I don't touch the treadmill until winter comes around again), but with thick ice and sub zero temps, outdoor training was not the best option for me for this race. The paces actually felt easier outside than they have on the treadmill all winter.  I don't say this to encourage people to train on treadmills because again, I would pick outside whenever possible, however I DO say this to encourage those who have to train for a race on treadmills (since so many people like to say it is a bad thing).

- TWO of the incredible women who placed ahead of me in Tallahassee were over 40 years old. They were 44 and 48! On top of that I recently read that you can expect to make progress for 10 years from when you first start consistently training as a runner. Both of these things are a big reminder to me that I have TIME. I am 35 years old and I haven't even been running for four years yet. I have plenty of time, and I plan on making the most of it and enjoying every minute.

Here is one more race pic from a local Tallahassee photographer -

And if you want to see my official race pics, you can see them here. I really like the one of me in front of "Unconquered", the horse statue at FSU. And HOW AWESOME are the ones of Jennifer cheering for me at the finish? I love these a lot.

More soon! (And I promise that the next post will have a pic of the ugly medal!) :)

15 comments:

Amy N. said...

Sounds like you're recovering smart! I was just thinking about my probable 8 mile treadmill run tomorrow and after reading your post I realize I have nothing to copmlain about. I love the "time" thought. I've only been running for 4 years, so it sounds like I've got a lot of time to make excellent progress! Great photo!

Christina Williams said...

Enjoy your slow and easy runs - you earned them! :) And I have read this and seen this so many times, it is is encouraging that our sport actually gets "better with age" :) I see SO many 40+ year old runners in my area out all the time and I love that. Plus I'm approaching these years soon ... it's promising to know we all have so much too look forward to with running! :)

Suzy said...

Hope you enjoy your time off! Loved seeing you race in your pink shoes ; )

Amy Lauren said...

The picture is great :). The 10 year thing gives me hope as well even though I'm young, I didn't really start running consistently until I was already in my 20s (yet I still get asked if I run HS cross country haha). Enjoy your time off!

coach dion said...

So good of you... do things right and boy will it pay off, I wish I could get some of my athletes to rest properly!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Oh, blame Sage for chickening out on our Dash! I would have SO smoked you. TOAST.

Love you ;-)

Mallory said...

Definitely sounds like a really smart recovery! Good job.

Jill said...

Since I'll be 50 in a few weeks, I look forward to PRing everything in the book ;). Unfortunately, I've been running competitively since I was in high school and even through college so my days of PRing are pretty much over, but racing well is still a high priority and who knows what may happen.

I'm SO relived that you are taking some days off and easing back into it...every single coach I've ever worked with makes this rest period mandatory so the body can repair itself; it's going to make a world of difference for you! :)
xo

Kylene said...

Congrats on such a great run and thanks for inspiring!

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

You have given me double hope - you reiterated my belief that you can train on a treadmill and that I too still have TIME! Woo-hoo!

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

You have given me double hope - you reiterated my belief that you can train on a treadmill and that I too still have TIME! Woo-hoo!

Kate A said...

I've been doing most of my winter workouts on the treadmill with the incline set to random... hopefully at least kind of simulating outdoor conditions. I think I have to take your TM training success with a grain of salt though since I'm pretty sure you're a robot running machine!

Kate B said...

I do a lot of my running on the treadmill even though I live in a nearly perfect climate. I do it mostly because I work late and don't want to run alone in the dark. It's also so much easier to knock 8 miles out on a treadmill than to have to figure out a route in my semi-urban surroundings. Glad to hear you feel you can train effectively on the treadmill. All of the naysayers are starting to make me doubt myself.

I hope the four days of rest served you well! Enjoy your "slow" and easy runs. :)

Kate B said...

Haha, I just noticed I'm Kate B and I posted directly under Kate A. :)

Kelly(M&M) said...

Glad you are listening to your coach and enjoying your rest. I am thankful for your comment about 10 years of improvements. I have been running consistently since 2005 so, there is still hope for me, right? :-) My big goal is to qualify for Boston. My best is a 3:48, so 8 more minutes to go. I know I can do it, but it will be tough. I can't give up though! I am having a baby next month, so then it will be back to the grindstone. Congrats on all your success. You are truly inspiring! (I am turning 35 in March and hoping I get faster as I get older too!)