Sunday, February 24, 2013

Not my favorite

Ok well, the whole colonoscopy thing is just as much fun as you think it is. Truth be told, I don't remember a thing about the actual procedure, but the 24 hours of nothing but clear liquids and the 12+ hours of being violently ill was fairly miserable. In the words of my friend's son, "This was not my favorite."

They removed two polyps and took several biopsies (results coming this week) but the doctor didn't see anything overly concerning. Between the polyps and my family history we will have to repeat in five years. Oh goody.

On the plus side, I did get a prescription medicine to try to help with my GI issues while running.  I have only been using it for two days now but I am cautiously optimistic - the last two days have been great. I would be SO beyond happy to find an answer. Fingers and toes are crossed!!!

Here are two funnies from my morning in the hospital:

- The nurse was getting me ready for the procedure (fashionable gown, IV, vital signs, etc.). She hooked me up to a bunch of things and all the beeping started. She did a nervous giggle and then said, "You are either an athlete or have a heart blockage because your heart rate is 42." Ha!

- Doctor: "Do you still have these problems when you don't run?"
Me: (pause)... "I don't know... I always run."
Luckily the doctor is an athlete too so he gets it.

I was glad that I only missed one day of running with all of this fun. My energy level rebounded quickly and I am enjoying building my mileage back up and training with some intensity again. We did have a nice weekend where just about everyone was home for all of it (and everyone was home on Sunday). There is nothing better than having everyone home sweet home. I have the best family ever. :) This week Josh and four of the big kids will be gone for three days to state indoor track.

Can you believe that March is less than a week away? Yay for St. Patty's Day and the start of spring and my birthday! :)

More soon!

16 comments:

coach dion said...

I like to tell them that I'm lazy and the heart doesn't like to beat to much...

Happy Running Mama said...

Ahh, Erin, I am right there with you in having GI issues and then having to get a colonoscopy as a result. I've been a runner for a number of years, though, and it wasn't until last year that I really started to have issues. I literally used to have none at all. Anyway, the colonoscopy showed nothing was wrong and it is all related to my running.

For whatever reason, this training cycle things have been much better so far. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way! And hope the medication helps you!!

misszippy said...

Ugh! I had to do a couple of colonoscopies back when I was having GI issues with marathons. You are so right--the prep is just miserable! Glad you have it behind you (what a pun!). And I remember the doctor telling me also that it's hard to nail down the issue unless I was to come directly from the race course to the colonoscopy table. I hope the meds do the trick for you!

Diana Martinez said...

I hope the medicine continues to work!

Kayla said...

I think I would dread the prep MUCH more than the actual procedure. I think the day of prep would be the longest day ever! It's interesting to hear that other people have GI issues related to running; I have never run nearly the mileage that you do, but when I was between 30-35 miles a week (my max) I would have to go A LOT after my runs, five or six times or more. Without being too graphic, a few times I wondered if I needed to go to the ER or if I had something seriously wrong! But before I could do anything about it, I tore my plantar fascia and my mileage went to nil. And all my GI issues stopped too. I am back up to fifteen miles a week and no GI issues yet. My other workouts (spin, Body Pump) do not have any GI effect. I guess it is the action of running that caused my bowels to go crazy. And I'm starting to think that my tract was just really irritated from all the "going". I'm eager to hear how your medicine continues to work for you!

fancy nancy said...

You are right about that procedure...not fun at all! Based on my father's history, he has Chrone's Disease, when I started having GI issues they had me do one. The prep was horrid!! When I got there they informed me that I could have had the flavored stuff....oh really! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your new meds! That would be great!!

Christina Williams said...

Glad you got this over with and nothing concerning has come of it! These medical procedures are no fun sometimes. And how great for having a doctor who is an athlete too, it is nice when they "get you" :) My doctor last week reminded me to get my mammogram done. Another "fun" procedure, lol

Mommy Run Fast said...

So glad that is behind you and you're bouncing back so quickly. I always have a low heart rate too, but 42?? Wow!! It's so funny how nurses don't know what to make of us. :) Glad you had an athletic doctor, too... that always helps.

Amy Lauren said...

I had to take my mom for hers a few years ago, and the prep + lack of food + anesthesia made her so loopy! The prep was definitely the worst and after it was over she ate an entire huge Subway sandwich, but she was okay that afternoon/evening. I can see where it would only make you miss one day of running. I'm glad you got it and they got the polyps, hopefully everything will come back great.

Amy N. said...

Wow - that sounds like no fun. Of course it's probably better than not knowing where your health is, but no fun. I'm glad you rebounded quickly back into running! I'm glad things are going so well!

giraffy said...

That does NOT sound like the most fun ever, but I hope you find some answers!

fourinthemorning89 said...

I am a fresh fan of your blog (from Poland, Europe). I am keeping my finger croosed for good result your medicine procedures and for your further running !

L.A. Runner said...

Praise the Lord for finding a cure to your tummy troubles! :)

I thought about you Friday, and found peace knowing you were having no-fun medical tests, too. Kind of comforted me in a weirdo way.

I hope the new medicine continues to work!

Canuck Mom said...

So glad to hear the biopsy appears to be okay and that you have a medicine that will hopefully work well for you. I know those belly issues all to well. I have IBS and have to be very careful what I eat and what I fuel with or the outcome can be tragic.

Sitesx6 said...

I had a colonoscopy the day after you did - it wasn't bad, I loved taking a nice nap during it, but I'm telling you DRINKING THAT NASTY PREP about made me die. I hated it so much. Mine was a horrid lemon/lime flavor (I could throw up just typing it) and it was HORRID...and I had to plug my nose and gulp it down and do a dance in the kitchen while I tried to swallow it. I was quite the drama queen. Even the clear liquids the day before wasn't so bad, but that darn drink....GROSS ME OUT....I'll never ever drink lemon/lime anything again. EVER. I'm throwing out my lemon Pledge dusting spray, too. ;0
Kelly

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Love your comments and yes, it is great when your doctor is also a runner. Makes life so much easier!