Friday, February 15, 2013

NEXT!!!!

It is official - my next marathon will be the Cox Providence Marathon in Rhode Island on May 12!!!!!

I am a big believer in "going with your gut" on a lot of decisions, and this is the race I really felt the best about and most excited to run. After my post asking for feedback on the list of possible races, I talked with Sage and he narrowed it down to three races he recommended. After that, I talked with Josh and with his mom (who helps out with Noah when I race) and looked at our calendars, and this is the race that works out the best for all of us.

And a MAJOR plus to this race (besides being the size that I love, a great looking course at sea level, and weather that should be ideal), my parents will get to be there!!! Every time I get to see them is wonderful, but getting to be with them on Mother's Day is extra wonderful. I spent a long time without a mom in my life. In fact, for years I gave my Dad a card on Mother's Day since he did the job of both parents. :) When Pam came into our lives about nine years ago, I was so very happy that my Dad finally had someone that truly loved him, cared for him, and made him happier than I had even seen him,  but I did not expect, or even dare to hope, that she would be a mom to me.

I always liked Pam and we always got along well, but we did not have much of a relationship just between the two of us. That actually changed in large part because of running! My Dad and Pam flew to Las Vegas to watch Noah for us while I ran my first marathon in December 2009 (and Josh ran the half) and we actually got a lot of quality time together without all of the kids. Then the next month, my Dad and Pam flew to Florida to cheer me on while I ran the Disney Marathon. We shared a hotel room, and for the first time in a LONG time, I felt like a kid. I was 100% supported, taken care of, spoiled rotten, and loved in every way for the entire weekend. I laid on a bed and watched movies with them and we had tons of time to talk. They were all over the marathon course and at the finish line cheering for all they were worth. We walked around Disney World and went on rides together. We had lots of special time together. In that weekend I stopped thinking of them as "my Dad and Pam" and started thinking of them as "my parents".

My relationship with Pam blossomed from there - cards, letters, phone calls, visits. She showed her endless love and support to me, and I realized what an incredible blessing it is to have a mother in your life, no matter how old you are. I can't even put into words how grateful I am for the love, support, encouragement, and faith that my parents give to me and my family daily.

So even though I won't be with my kids on Mother's Day this year, we will celebrate the next day when I get home, and it will be a very special weekend getting to do what I love to do (race!) and getting to spend it with my parents. It will be the first Mother's Day I get to spend with Pam. :)

I get to get back to training on Sunday and I have a plan from Sage for next week and an outline of what my training will look like from now until Providence. I am excited!! I am going to move forward with the momentum, endurance, speed, confidence, excitement, and joy that I built during my training for and racing in Tallahassee, and I know that Providence is going to be awesome.

Thanks for all the feedback on my race options! You guys are great.

Time to enjoy a four-day weekend with my kids. :)

What's next up for you??

16 comments:

misszippy said...

I love your story about you and Pam. So great to develop a relationship like that later in life.

Awesome on the next marathon! Sounds like a great one and it is so pretty there--take it all in!

I am getting pumped for my race in just four weeks! I've never had a better/harder training cycle. If I can get through tomorrow's run as prescribed, I will be feeling super confident--you know how that helps!

portia o'callaghan said...

I am so excited - this marathon is less than an hour from me. I can't wait to cheer you on! Also, I forgot to mention this before, the finish pictures from this race are so pretty!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Ah, love reading about your growing relationship with Pam. Something new I've learned about you! Awesome on having your next race decided on . And I think it is fun sometimes to get away for Mother's Day...a gift to you...the Mother. Your kids can think of it as a way to support their Mother and then plan on welcoming you home with open arms and celebration. Excited for you. What's next for me? 2 weeks until race day and then moving to NC...woo hoo! Then Boston for fun. Might not even race/run at all.

Mark Matthews said...

Nice! Parents being there is a no-brainer then. (bayshore would have been a long drive from any airport, by the way.)

Amy N. said...

Sounds like the perfect race for you then! I also grew up in a single parent home and I would love for my Mom to find someone who makes her happy. She's stubborn though. :)

I'm excited for you to jump back into training! I hope it all goes well for you!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

You have me sitting here with tears streaming down my face and I'm not even kidding. And I already knew the story of you and Pam but the way you put it here just touched my heart! You both are blessed.

Nicole said...

So loved reading about you and our love for your parents. It sounds like you made the right choice and will have a wonderful mother's day. I will be there to cheer you on! I have a few friends running it too.

christa said...

I ran the R&R half in Rhode Island last summer. RI is a beautiful state, and pretty flat :)

Kelly(M&M) said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom! Congrats on picking a race. It sounds like the perfect one for you. I really hope you run the Newport Marathon next year and let me know if you need a ride from the airport or advice on where to stay. I love that marathon and I would love to meet you!! You have inspired me! I can't wait to run again!

Christina Williams said...

Great choice!!! I'm glad you were able to arrive at a decision feeling good about it. And I agree, even if you aren't with your kids precisely on Mother's Day weekend, you will still be with family, and that is important too. I look forward to reading your report on this one. Hugs and thank you for all you do to help me too! :)

Adrienne said...

This is a great marathon! A little boring on the bike trail but flat there. I live about an hour away and will probably do the half- hopefully we will meet after!

L.A. Runner said...

While I'm disappointed you aren't doing San Diego, I totally understand your choice AND the excitement about family time. Enjoy!

Raina said...

Cox-providence is supposed to be a great race! (another blogger I follow did that one last year.) You will do well and it will be nice for you to get to spend some time with your new "mom".

It must be a blessing after such a long drought without a mom to have Pam in your life. Enjoy :)

Mallory said...

Maybe I'll come watch you, too! I've done the half a few times and its great. I live about 4 miles from the finish :)

Susan PD said...

Hey Erin, I think I'll be cheering you on as well---looks like that will be my 21 year old daughter's first marathon so we are definitely attending. An exciting mother's day for me with the bonus of actually seeing you race....since we've only met once upon a time in your earlier life. I would love to introduce you to Emily and her friends for their inspiration!

Suz and Allan said...

Good luck in May! I hope that will be a great race for you. I'm sure the weather will be amazing!