Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Catching up

Things have been super busy, so here are some bullet points to get caught up. 

- My kids had a four day weekend this weekend. Josh was home on Sunday but was out of town coaching from Thursday afternoon until Saturday night, and then he had to work all day and until midnight yesterday, so I was parenting on my own for most of the long weekend. Luckily I have the best kids in the universe and we had a lot of fun. :)

- I spent an hour and eight minutes this morning registering for the Chicago Marathon on 10/13/13. (Do you know that 13 is my lucky number? Josh and I were even married on the 13th of July). Active.com failed miserably in handling the registration process for Chicago. Like I said, it took me over an hour to get through and to get registered, and so many people were having problems that now the registration process is suspended until they fix their technical problems. The "rumors" before today were that this race will likely sell out in days, possibly just hours, which of course created a panic with everyone wanting to get registered asap. With 45,000 runners in this race and the prediction that it would sell out very quickly, you would think that Active.com would have been expecting the crush when registration opened. Who else is running Chicago? Were you able to register before they shut it down this morning?

- Today is my BFF's birthday!!! Go over and wish Jennifer a happy 40th birthday!! Here she is in her office this morning. They did a great job decorating it for her. :) And how gorgeous is she??!!


- I am going in to the hospital Friday morning for a colonoscopy. Between my never ending GI issues and my Dad having had colon cancer at a young age, my doc is requiring it. I am sure everything will be completely fine, but the next couple days are not going to be any fun at all.

- It has been great to be running double digits again!! I have run 10, 12, and 10 miles the last three days and tomorrow I have a 10-miler with 6 miles uptempo. This week is just an easing back week into mileage and speed again. The break was nice, but I sure love how it feels to be getting the miles done again. I look forward to getting back up to the the 90 and 100 miles weeks again.

- SORRY to leave you waiting!! As promised, here is a closeup pic of "the very ugly medal" (as it has fondly been named by the kids) from the Tallahassee Marathon. I loved this race. Loved it! I will run it again next year for sure. Loved the course, loved the organization, loved the finish, loved it all. But this medal is ugly. Unique, but ugly. :) And the shirt (which has this same picture on it, a blue shirt with cotton candy pink side panels) is just as bad. It definitely has character though...

 I think it kind of looks like an old-time Japanese horror movie... giant rodent attacking the city of Tallahassee. :) 

And just for fun, here is one more race pic from Tally. These were free from a local photographer. Very cool. :)


 Do you have any ugly medals?

More soon!

Hope everyone is having a good week and running happy!! :)

18 comments:

jessie said...

What is that brown thing on the medal? I don't get it. Looks like a beaver?????

SupermomE12 said...

Jessie - Ha! It is a groundhog, because the race is held the first weekend in February. The race is not on Ground Hog's day though. I told my husband that I didn't really think that Ground Hog's day was a weekend long type of holiday, but what do I know. :)

jessie said...

Wow. Thanks for the explanation. That thing is truly hideous. But you did great anyway!

Amy N. said...

I'm not doing Chicago, but I saw on the Brooks Fanatics page that a bunch of people were having problems registering. It's crazy the panic that ensues when a big race opens registration these days. Sometimes I'm not sure it's worth it. I lean more and more towards smaller races these days.

That medal is comical. But every medal is an adventure, and hard earned. It's not like you were going to wear it around town anyway. Though if there is a town out there where it's appropriate to regularly wear our medals, I want to move there.

Janaenay said...

My husband and I are trying to sign up for the race as well but had no luck after trying for hours! Now they are saying that the registration will not open for the next two days and only 15,000 spots are left. Getting nervous!

Amy Lauren said...

I like nice medals, but really I only wear them the day I get them or to run club events (we had a party at the end of the year last year and they told everyone to wear their medals). I won't say what I thought the brown was on this medal, but maybe it was a subliminal thought from you mentioning the colonoscopy? Anyway, good luck with the GI issues and glad you're back to running long again!

Gracie said...

Ha, that is such an ugly medal! I didn't realize that Chicago is registering right now. I'd like to run it since my sister lives there, but not this year. Too much recovery going on in my hamstring... :)

coach dion said...

With a couple of trail races here we have to be at the PC with the finger waiting for the clock to strike 12...

I have had the entry page for 2 Oceans marathon 56km race open for 3 days now, and have half fulled it out, but I still don't know if I should enter... Maybe I'll wait for the end of the month.

Christina Williams said...

A groundhog?!?! You would think being in Florida the medal could have had a different creature haha :) Many well wishes to you on the colonoscopy. My mother recently had one done and she said it wasn't all that bad, the worse part is actually just the stuff you have to drink before-hand. I'm sure you will come out with great results!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Thank you for the birthday love :-) and I am praying for a good report Friday! Sooooo happy you are running Tally next year...ugly medal notwithstanding ;-) Your RW buddy Bart Yasso will be here so I am psyched about that too! Good times ahead (pun intended)!

Canuck Mom said...

That is a funny medal. Prayers for you and that the colonoscopy is clear.

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

Chicago is on my marathon bucket list, but I don't think this is the year for it. You have me interested in doing the Tallahassee marathon next year, I may have to add that to my list. Hoping all goes well with your colonoscopy.

Annie Crow said...

I got in to Chicago. I was trying all afternoon, though apparently my official timestamp is from 12:48 - had no idea at that time I'd gotten through. I was lucky I didn't end up registering twice. But I think the final number from yesterday will be less since so many people got registered more than once.

Prayers for you the next couple of days as you go through the colonoscopy and then wait for the results.

Diana Martinez said...

That is a very unfortunate looking medal. The "rodent" kind of looks like... Well, anyway. LOL

I've got a few friends who signed up for Chicago, they had all kinds of trouble with Active.com, but they got through in the end, as well. I'm glad you were able to register!

Cookin' Canuck said...

My friend Cindy of Once Upon a Loaf just sent me to your blog. Cindy worked me through my first marathon last October and I'm hoping to do another one this fall. I can't wait to look around your blog and to get some serious running inspiration!

portia o said...

I hope all goes well with your test tomorrow! I have heard it's not so bad, but the pre-test stuff is obnoxious.

I should post a picture of my Disney medal from this year, it is definitely on the eccentric side. But no groundhogs masquerading as feces. :)

Suz and Allan said...

Great race photo! The medal is definitely unique. I've never seen one quite like it.

lindsay said...

wow that is an interesting medal. definitely not what i think of when i picture florida or tallahassee!