Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Marathon before the Marathon

I am writing this from my seat on my flight to Florida! The last few days have turned into quite the wild ride leading up to this point. Trying to get ready for me to be gone involved lots of extra housework, lots of regular work, many attempts to get organized and packed, a birthday (my Ryan is 15!), etc. on top of all of the usual cooking, cleaning, homework, laundry, parenting 12 kids, and all the other things that I do.

I literally finished my to-do list at about 9:30 last night. I was in bed at 10pm and then up at 2:30am. I ran 7 miles, showered, packed my last few things, kissed Josh and was out the door by 5:35 when my friend Lauri pulled into the driveway. Ten minutes into the drive we got an email that the flight was cancelled but we were on a new one two hours later. Sigh. Two more hours of sleep would have been awesome, but what can you do? Jennifer was amazing and got online right away and got us booked on a better flight and got us new connections, then got us seats together, then checked us in and sent texts with our new boarding passes. She is the best!! We got to the airport, took our time, got some lunch and now are finally on our way. I think that the marathon to get to this point has been more tiring than the actual marathon is going to be!!!

Now that we are on our way, I am switching mental gears and focusing more on the race. I can truly say that I am EXCITED for this race. I am excited to run. I know that it won't be easy. I know it will be physically and mentally challenging and tiring. I know it will hurt. But that is all part of what I love about this sport. I am ready. I am ready to take a big step in the right direction towards my dreams and goals.

Something that is good to do before a race is to think of all the things you have done right during your training for the race. I have been making a list to go over and all of it does help with my confidence.

- I have run two 100 mile weeks and many 85-90+ miles weeks.
- Almost all of my key workouts have been strong.
- I have been challenged with new types of workouts and have rocked them (two mile repeats and three mile repeats especially).
- I have NOT gotten exhausted, worn out, run down, or overtrained.
- I have stayed healthy and injury free.
- I have run two 23 milers and lots of other long runs.
- I have lost 6-7lbs from the weight I had been maintaining, and kept it off the last few weeks. This is the lightest and leanest I have ever been.
- I have been diligent with my strength and core work.
- I have worked on my mental strength and confidence.
- I have followed my coach's plan from day one throughout taper. I trained smart.

Deciding to work with Sage as my coach was something else that I did right too. I chose to work with Sage after he sent me an outline of how he would have me train and why. The space between the workouts, the specific paces, the progression throughout the training plan, the types of workouts - it all made sense to me before we started, it all felt right as I went through the training, and it leaves me feeling very confident going in to this race. 

When I read through the list above it gives me a lot of reasons to be confident. Of course there are some nerves and it is easy to let doubts creep in. But I have really been focusing on how much I LOVE this lately and how grateful I am to be able to run. On top of that, I am so grateful to be running this marathon specifically, and to get to spend a long weekend with Jennifer. My body is strong and my heart is happy.

I will update more as we go. The plan is lots of fun and relaxation with the girls before race day. THANK YOU for all the wishes of good luck and the cheers. I love them and appreciate all of them!!

I leave you with a fun pic that Doris from Time to Kick BuTs made for a guest post I did. Check out her super inspirational website. :) More soon!


22 comments:

robinbb said...

So excited for you Erin. I will be cheering for you on Sunday morning and know that you can do it. Stay positive out there and be ready to run an amazing race!

Kristen Lawrence said...

Go get Em girly!!! Have a great race!

Happy Running Mama said...

Can't wait to hear all about it -- sending positive, happy and speedy vibes to you!! Have FUN!

Amy N. said...

There is nothing like the excitement in the hours before a race! Good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly!

Katie said...

Hey good luck! Sounds like you're ready to go! (And a great long weekend planned.) Have a great time and tear up the road!

paulakiger said...

I can't wait to meet you this weekend!!!!

Sean and Lisa said...

Always rooting for you Erin! You got this. Show them how it's done! :)

KimPossible said...

You got this Erin! Enjoy the BFF time and rock that course on Sunday!

AmyZ, PhD said...

OK, so getting up at 2:30 to run 7 miles before an early morning trip to the airport...that is Dedication! I have a good feeling about this race for you!

Gracie said...

You are one heck of a serious runner. This race sounds like your race - you are just in your prime condition right now!

Student Association said...

Good luck!!! You will do a fantastic job in the sunshine state!

coach dion said...

Wish I was there to run with you...

You train so much harder than me, so I know you can have a good run... Now for us the reader you have to put it out there.

I've been in 2 minds about running 2 Oceans (a local 56km race) yes I've run it 11 time before, but not for a number of years, Now reading this post I think I'm going to run a marathon this month and then see about entering.

Go put your feet up and rest, and I'll get back to work...

L.A. Runner said...

Go get it, girl! We're all rooting for you! :)

Mommy Run Fast said...

That is definitely a parenting marathon- bummer about the missed sleep. You're in my thoughts this weekend! Run your heart out. :)

Becky at Prairie Runner said...

Can't wait to read your race recap!!!! You inspire so many!

Christina Williams said...

So excited for your race report ... many good wishes for a strong a great race!!! Have fun down in the warmer weather too and enjoy some "girl time" :)

Atha said...

Pulling for you! I know you will rock
This race!!!

Janaenay said...

I wish you the absolute BEST! Looking forward to seeing a huge PR :)

Amy said...

You are such an inspiration to me! Have a great race in Florida!

Kerrie T. said...

You inspire me! Have a fun and fantastic race!

Kortni said...

Super excited for you! Have a great race and enjoy your girl time!!!

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

You've got this girl! Enjoy your girls weekend and enjoy what I am confident will be your best race ever.