Thursday, January 10, 2013

Brooks PureFlow 2 Review!

If you have read this blog for any period of time, you know I am a Brooks girl. I have been a Brooks fan since I first started running in 2009, and became an even bigger Brooks die-hard once they started sponsoring me a year ago. :) I have always run in Brooks shoes. A few times in the past I tried other brands, and nothing has ever felt as good to me as my Brooks. 

Just over a month ago, I got my first pair of the new Brooks PureProject PureFlow 2's. I have run over 350 miles in the new PureFlow 2's since then and feel very ready to give a review.
(If you want to read my review of the original PureFlow's, you can read this post here, which also has a lot of details of my "running shoe history").

Since I LOVED the first PureFlow's, I was a little nervous about the shoe being changed, but I am super happy with the PureFlow 2's. Everything I loved about the first PureFlow's is still true - the shoe is light, flexible, fast, responsive and comfortable. There is still a 4mm heel to toe drop, and this is still a light weight running shoe that provides cushioning and protection. For me it has been the perfect combo. I ran over 3,600 miles last year injury free, and every single mile of those was run in PureFlow's. They are light/fast enough for speedwork and have enough cushioning to get me through 22 mile training runs and racing marathons.

The PureFlow 2's are slightly lighter than the first PureFlow's (not enough to feel - down to 7.2 ounces from 7.5) however the biggest change is the upper. The upper was redesigned, and while it still has an anatomical last (foot shaped!), the Flows now feature asymmetrical lacing and a new tongue design. The new tongue is just an extension of the upper on one side and separates from the rest of the upper on the other side. The combination of the new lacing and tongue makes for a GREAT, comfortable fit.

The toe box feels roomier to me in the 2's (which I love), and for me, the entire shoe was bigger and I had to go down half of a size. I was on the "bubble" for which size shoe to wear (according to several different running store experts when I was fitted for shoes) and had always gone with the bigger size just to be on the safe side, but with these I definitely needed the smaller. Once I went down a half size the fit was perfect, and I have been running VERY happy in my PureFlow 2's ever since. I plan to set some big PR's in these babies this year. :)


Now the BIGGEST question is, which color should I wear for the Tallahassee Marathon on February 3??? The very neon pink shoes were released first, so I have a couple of pairs of those. The black and neon yellow were just released, and I have a new pair of those as well. I am NOT a pink girl - I don't buy pink anything and these shoes are the only pink running gear I own. However, they have really grown on me and just feel and look fast to me. The black and neon yellow are super cool too (and way more my typical style). I need to pick a pair to get broken in just right for race day.

What do you think? Pink or black???

If you want to read more about the awesome Brooks PureProject line (and see all the beautiful shoes!) including the PureFlow, PureCadence, PureConnect, PureGrit, and the new PureDrift, check it out here.

Thanks for all the great questions you have left in the comments the last few days. I will get to answering them asap. :)

17 comments:

Amy N. said...

I love my PureConnects - the pure project line is just gold. I just won two pairs of pure project shoes today so I'm excited to get the new ones! All my other Brooks shoes are starting to feel neglected! And I agree, they're they only shoe you need!

Thanks for your great review!

L.A. Runner said...

Totally agree with everything you said about the new model! I liked the original, but the tongue slipped. Now that that isn't an issue with the 2, it truly is the perfect shoe. I'm considering mine for the marathon, too!

I love the pink, but I also think the yellow black would look sweet with the ID uniform... decisions, decisions.

Kayla said...

I just got two pairs of the original Pure Flows. I have been dealing w/repeated plantar fasciitis/plantar fascia tears, and just started running again. I bought one pair of the Pure Flows right when the new ones came out, so I got them on clearance. And I LOVE them! I am a neutral to supinator, and I feel like a lot of shoes really push my feet to the outside. The Pure Flows felt perfectly neutral to me. I also need a lot of cushioning under my forefeet and I was surprised that for a shoe so light, they had such great cushioning. I wore my first pair of Pure Flows for a few easy runs and they were SO comfortable I bought another pair just for running so that I could wear the first pair to the gym and around town (they're the purple ones; the ones I got for running are black). I was eager to read your review of the Flow 2's to see whether I needed to stockpile some original Flows. ;-) I think I am safe trying the 2's when the time comes. And I say go with the pink Pure Flows for your marathon - I'm not much of a pink girl either, but I have turned out to love my purple Pure Flows - not sure why, but the pop of color is really fun!

giraffy said...

I am SO relieved to read so many positive reviews of the Flow 2. I loved the first version, so I was worried I'd be unhappy.

PHEW.

Wear the pink! It's brighter!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Yay! I can't wait to run in mine for the first time. I'm not typically a pink girl either. But these pink Flows do just look fast. They are a different kind of pink. I say wear the pink...break out of the box...what you'd usually do...go for the Pink and PR Baby! :) Glad you are happy with them. I hope I love them too.

Jen@runfortheboys said...

I say match your racing singlet...isn't it that neon yellow?

jessie said...

I say wear the pink. I have been curious about two things for a while. First, how many miles do you get out of a pair? And second, do you donate them when you are done? There are only a certain number of running shoes that one needs to keep on hand for "kick arounds." Rooting for you, as always.

AmyZ, PhD said...

I love the black and yellow! Looks very Brooks-like to me :)

Christina Williams said...

I'm waiting on my order of the pink Pure Flow 2's to arrive too! I already tried them on locally for a fit but had a good coupon to use for RRS to get them with more savings :) I am not a pink girl either, but I say break out the pink for the upcoming marathon. Sometimes we all need a little color, plus, it is a cheery color during the winter!

Sybil said...

I tried on the Drift and Flow today and liked them both but slightly preferred the Drift. I like what they did with the lacing and tongue. The tongue on my Cadences was annoying! That said I didn't buy them, because there was a slight imperfection in one shoe that drove me crazy. Will definitely pick up a pair sometime this year, though!

And I say wear the pink!

Happy Running Mama said...

I have those same pink Pure Flow 2's and ran in them the other day for the first time. LOVED them! They are a replacement for a worn-out (and much-loved) pair of purple Pure Flows. I really noticed a difference in the new model but it may have been that my old ones were just worn out.

I'm not a pink person, either, but love these for some reason. :)

Shirley said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for reviewing the new PureFlows! I am going to try and make it into somewhere where I can try them on. I wore a size 9 in the original PureFlows, so will want to see if I need to go down a half size, too. :) :)

Christie said...

Hey Lady!! I was wondering if you have tried the pure connects and if so, how they compare to the flows? I have always raced in the pure connects but feel like a need just a LITTLE bit more shoe for some of my training runs. If you could let me know I'd appreciate it :):)

misszippy said...

I'm glad you've found the right shoe for you. The Flows were a no-go for me b/c they had TOO much cushion. But I do like the Connects and just tried the Pure Drifts yesterday for the first time. I have far too many shoes!

robinbb said...

Thanks for the review. I went to order my shoes and my ID account is messed up and I can only order male gear. So, as soon as it is fixed I will be ordering my PINK PureFlows, so happy they are pink and not read like they look on the computer screen.

And thanks for the congrats on my race. Your spirit was with me as I was pushing through some of the mental spots.

And congrats to Josh on the new job. I can only imagine that any relief will be nice. Hugs to you Erin, glad you like the hoodie!

Fran Johnson said...

Just bought the 2's yesterday. Was wondering why the sole had an uneven sole design on the heel? i will be wearing them today for the first time. I'e always worn my New Balance Minimus and love them much. Anxious to try out my Pureflow Project 2's though. I biught the pretty blue and green. Love how lightweight they ate. Sharp upper design!

lee woo said...

When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing, then we truly live. See the link below for more info.

#pure
www.matreyastudios.com