Thursday, January 24, 2013

10!

10 days until race day!

I am doing a two-week taper and I am definitely starting to feel it. After two 100-mile weeks and lots of weeks with mileage in the upper 80's and low 90's in this training cycle, running single digits every day feels strange! I miss my double days too. I get to do 14 miles tomorrow at a conservative pace, and I am looking forward to it. I am embracing the taper though. I have put in the hard work and now am letting my body rest up to be able to do what I ask it to on race day.

It has been a busy week around here as Josh has started a new job. It is in addition to his other job (and coaching) so we are all adjusting to the new schedule and getting in to a new groove. It is all working out though and we are really grateful for the opportunity. Life is busy and we both have very busy schedules and lots of responsibilities, but life is so very good. Josh is a rockstar. :)

I leave in a week for Tallahassee! I am not one who likes to be away from Josh, the kids, or home, but if I am going to be away from them, I can't think of anyone I would rather be getting to see and spend time with right now than Jennifer. As she pointed out the other day, a whole lot has happened since we hugged good bye almost five months ago. When I travel by myself I usually do so with a lump of guilt and stress about being away, and I am promising myself I will not do that this time. I am going to enjoy the gift of some time with my BFF and I am going to enjoy this race and focus on running well and enjoying the experience (and feeling guilty or stressed won't help that one bit).

I am feeling pretty good mentally and physically, and am taking the next 10 days to help myself feel as good as possible. I have been eating well, staying hydrated, getting as much rest as possible, and all that good stuff. I have been reading "Running Within" again and working on the techniques in there, and have been reading "Paula - My Story So Far" (Paula Radcliffe's story), and both are very inspiring and motivating.

Here is a quote from Paula's book that I really love -

"It is the challenge of running a 26-mile race that I find intriguing. It is like life itself. There are good moments and tough moments; you've got to enjoy the good parts and survive the bad ones. Along the way, you learn about yourself and how you respond to pressure and difficulty. You can't know for certain how you will be until you are faced with the questions."

I am feeling really good about this race. My heart and my body are in a happy place. I am excited to run a marathon in a healthy, strong body that isn't overtrained. I am excited to enjoy a marathon. I am excited that Jennifer will be there to cheer me on. I am excited to see what I can do. I love this sport. 10 days!!

Just for fun, here are a couple of pics from the other night. Josh and the teens were all gone for the weekend with sports, so I took the younger eight out for a night of pizza and bowling (thanks Auntie Shanon for the gift certificate!) These kids are SO much fun. Seriously, they are the best. And boy can they destroy a pile of pizza. ;)

"baby brother" is almost as big as "big sister"!
Don't let the smiles fool you - cutthroat bowlers, every one of them!
Five of the eight kids I had on our date :)

20 comments:

robinbb said...

So so so excited for you marathon. And I am happy you get a weekend alone and with Jennifer. You ladies are two ladies that probably deserve a relaxing weekend more than most. I will be sending fast running vibes to Tallahassee. I can't believe your amazing mileage!!!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

SO EXCITED!!!! Running my town woo-hoo!!! I can't wait to see you in the airport next Thursday :-) We are going to have so much fun. I can't wait to get to be a spectator for the first time...I'm gonna have Josh on the phone giving him splits and am gonna be cheering so loud for you! Love, your obnoxious BFF

Amy N. said...

I think tapering is one of the hardest parts of training, and I don't even build to half of the mileage you do. You will be fantastc at your marathon! Good luck! The hard work is done, now time not to ruin it before the race!

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

I'm so excited for you for your girl's weekend and for your marathon. It sounds like you are in such a good place, that can't help but propel you to great things next week!

giraffy said...

A marathon AND BFF time?! The best ever! I'm excited for you!!! Enjoy taper!

elly said...

Too cute! Enjoy your taper time and your weekend away - and I'm sending you speedy thoughts for the marathon! :)

Vicky Cook said...

Good luck Erin! Yes do try to ditch that mothers guilt, it's such a pain and it weighs more than muscle so you definitely don't want to be carrying it round 26.2 with you ;) Excited for you to have a good one, I think you're due one :)

Stephanie@Soggy Runner Girl said...

Can't wait to see what you do! So happy that you are healthy and in a good place. Sending lots of fast running vibes your way!

Kerrie T. said...

Very excited for you! And I love the pics! Now I want pizza, though.

Canuck Mom said...

I am excited for you!! As always you are inspiring. I wish I could run those high mileage weeks, but I do not know if my body will allow that. Baby steps. I will have to read that Paula Radcliffe book. That quote is exactly what I needed to read.

Happy Running Mama said...

Best of luck to you, Erin! It sounds like your training has been going well the last few months and I can't wait to hear about your race!!

I love the pics of your kids -- big smiles all around. :)

Terzah said...

I love the pizza party pictures--always so fun to see what you and your kids are up to. And of course I'm excited for you with the big race coming up. You are going to have a great weekend and a wonderful race--a big new PR!

Jill said...

Ooo, I am so happy to hear you are feeling so good right now and excited for your upcoming race. This taper is going to get you so ready race!! You've been down here a few times and know the ropes - listen to your coach and trust and all's going to go great!
Love love love the smiling kiddo pictures. Such a loving family!! :)
xoxo

coach dion said...

With big weeks like that you need a 2 week taper. I'm running to many races at the moment to taper for anything, but sometime soon I'll race a race and maybe take a couple of days easy.

That said going out for pizza with 7 kids can't be called a rest day... not in my books anyway!

Mommy Run Fast said...

I'm so excited for you! So glad that you're feeling well trained and ready. Rest up and enjoy the race! Oh, and what a great quote-- running is very much like life.

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Great job cherishing the taper and I do love that quote!

misszippy said...

Great pics of the kids--they are all so happy!

Enjoy your taper and the build up of marathon excitement. I know you're going to have a great one!

KimPossible said...

You are so going to rock your marathon, very excited for you! You continue to inspire me with your positivity and can do attitude!

Raina said...

TAPER TIME!! And you are so ready to run a masterpiece race. :)

I can feel the positive energy, happiness and anticipation here. You are going to be having the time of your life.

So glad you are able to get out with the family and do the pizza and bowling. Bowling is FUN and we haven't done that yet with the boys. They would love it. I know what you mean about destroying a pile of pizza. My three do that- can only imagine what your crew does. Loved seeing the pics. It makes me smile to see a large family in operation. Every older child has a younger buddy:)

Enjoy your down time! You earned it.

Kristen Lawrence said...

Seriously excited for you!! I suffer that mommy guilt too but I know your kids are so proud of you! You are an inspiration to them :)