Wednesday, December 12, 2012

My favorite 12

Everyone is crazy today about 12/12/12, but around here we always like the number 12 (a dozen kids!) and we like December 12 every year because it is our Noah's birthday. Our sweet 12th child's birthday is 12/12. :)

Here is part of what I wrote on his birthday post on Facebook this morning - "Some people don't believe in miracles, and others throw the word around way too casually (ie "I found my keys! It's a miracle!") But we have truly seen miracles in this boy's life. From the time he was born, through his journey from his birth family to his first adoptive family to us, through countless medications, surgeries, doctor appointments, and therapy appointments, we have seen miracles. The boy who once could not hold up his own head and was having hundreds of seizures a day - the one we were told would likely never make much progress developmentally or medically - is thriving! He walks, runs, laughs, climbs, signs, says words, plays, learns, and loves. We are so grateful that his life was spared (he would not have survived much longer than he did in Ethiopia), that we had access to the miracle drug that stopped his seizures, and most of all, that we are lucky enough to have him in our family. Our sweet Noah Biruk."

Everyone is excited about cake and presents tonight. Noah may not completely understand the concept of a birthday, but he likes the extra attention and excitement (and since he can actually eat a little bit by mouth now, cake is going to be FUN this year!)


And as promised, here is a picture of our Christmas tree, all decorated. 

It is a big, full, perfect tree. I love it! Can you believe Christmas is less than two weeks away? This year I am making an effort to truly enjoy the season. I see so many people getting stressed out about so many aspects of Christmas and to me the whole meaning of the season is then lost. I am reflecting a lot on the gratitude and love I have for my Savior, Josh, the kids, family and friends, and so many other blessings, and I am looking forward to having FUN with our family over Christmas break. We don't have the funds to do much, but we will make fun. ;)

Things are busy around here but good. I am more than half-way through my 100 mile week and am feeling great. It's exciting! Friday's 22-miler will be no joke (neither was yesterday's 14 miler with 8 tempo miles in the middle) but I am working hard and am so very grateful that I am able to.

12 comments:

SWMom said...

Well Happiest Birthday Wishes!!! What a great post and congratulations on your killer training! We are celebrating 12/12/12 with our daughter's first Christmas concert at preschool!

Happy Running Mama said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet little boy! What a miracle he is!! Hope you have fun celebrating with your family tonight.

Good luck with your 100 mile week!

Terzah said...

Beautiful tree--I love the glow!

Happy Birthday to Noah again--can't wait to hear how he reacts to cake.

Ugly said...

Sounds like your training of 100 mile weeks is a model of the famous Arthur Lydiard. His 22 mile Waiatarua runs made many athletes run their best....

I think Lydiard during his 100 mile weeks had his runners doing mostly runs of 70% to 95% aerobic capacities, with little intervals.

100 mile weeks can build you if ready, or tear down if not. Be sure to communicate with your coach on how you feel if you are doing any intervals during your 100 mile week.

I have always wanted to try some 100 mile weeks just to see how they feel. I plan to do some this 2013....

Good luck on your training.

Raina said...

Happy Birthday to Noah!! What amazing progress he has made under your care- and Josh's.

BIG week for you!! I can't even imagine 100 miles right now. You are right..we are so blessed to be able to run.

coach dion said...

We would love to be running 100mile weeks, but we life in SA so we only need 100km weeks, and those I can manage, not that I've done many of them this year.

Happy Birthday Noah, 12 Kid, rather you than me, I will settle for my 2 dogs, although with Mr. Rat in the Ivy they can get a bit excited!!!

greengirlrunning said...

I just found your blog, and I'm so happy I did! You are one incredible mama! Looking forward to following along your journey to the Olympic Trials. And happy birthday to your son :)

fancy nancy said...

Oh Happy birthday to sweet Noah!!! His life...and yours...is certainly blessed being part of your dozen!!! Miracles indeed...God is so good!!

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Hau'oli la hanau Noah! You truly are a miracle and have been blessed with one awesome family!

And Erin, you are a rock star too! I love that you find the time to train so much and still have so much love and time for your family. You are an inspiration.

Jessica Ryall said...

I loved everything about this post! :-) happy birthday! Happy training! Merry Christmas! God is good!!

Mommy Run Fast said...

Amazing story- I'm so in awe of how well Noah is doing. Hope you had a wonderful time celebrating him!

Teamarcia said...

A special birhtday for a very special boy! Glad you all enjoyed and yay for the 100-mile week!
Your tree is gorgeous!