Saturday, December 15, 2012

Good things

(I spent a lot of yesterday feeling sick, horrified, heart-broken, and teary-eyed. I am certainly holding my loved ones even a little closer than usual. I am not going to write much about the tragedy that happened yesterday - for me it is enough to say that my thoughts and prayers are very much with the survivors and the families of the victims. And that despite the fact that such unimaginable, truly horrible things happen, I refuse to give up my belief that the world we live in is full of countless GOOD people who do good things every day. I believe in love, hope, faith, kindness, and peace, and that is what I lean on when scary, sad, awful things happen.)

Now on to some good things.

- We had a fun family movie night last night, and I have really been enjoying time with my kids this week. I love watching Christmas movies with all of us snuggled up in blankets around the Christmas tree. 

- Yesterday I ran 22 miles. Since this is a high mileage week I didn't have any super fast paces, but I ran an average 7:39 pace. And it was all on the treadmill. I had run 12 miles outside the day before and it was pretty much a mix of running and ice skating because things are so slick out there. I can manage a slow, easy run in the snow and ice that is out there right now, but nothing at a faster or steady pace. As much as the treadmill long runs are tough, it does feel good to get them done. I try to tell myself I am building mental toughness!

- After this morning's 10-mile run, I successfully wrapped up my first 100 mile week!!! I know it's just a number, but it is exciting to say and has been a big confidence booster for me. I feel SO good right now. My energy level on my runs and in general is good (I am even waking up before my alarm most mornings), and my body feels great. I don't have any aches, pains, soreness or niggles. Being able to run 100 miles in a week with a decent amount of "substance" in there, and to keep up on my core/strength training, and to feel so good and be injury free makes me feel like this IS something I am good at, something I am meant to do, something my body thrives doing. It makes me feel like progress is coming. It makes me feel excited and hopeful. It feels good. Really good. And I am super grateful for Coach Sage. Things have been going really well since I started working with him. The right training plan and mix of intensity and recovery has made all the difference in how I am feeling.

- Last night I got a wonderful piece of news. I am being sponsored again by Brooks in 2013! I was so excited when I got the email with the offer and contract that I couldn't stop smiling. I have been so grateful for the support I have gotten from Brooks and the Inspire Daily program community, and it is a company that I represent PROUDLY and HAPPILY. I think that their running shoes, clothes, and gear is the very best. I love to Run Happy!!

I have been running in the PureFlow 2's for a week now (including my 22 miler on the treadmill yesterday) and will be doing a full review on them in the next few days. (Spoiler alert - they rock).


"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." - George Chakiris

"The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"What is true of the individual will be tomorrow true of the whole nation if individuals will but refuse to lose heart and hope." -Mahatma Gandhi


"Our human compassion binds us the one to the other - not in pity or patronizingly, but as human beings who have learnt how to turn our common suffering into hope for the future."- Nelson Mandela

And here is an AWESOME post to show you some of the beautiful, GOOD side of people. Love this!

15 comments:

greengirlrunning said...

Congrats on your 100 mile week!!! That's so exciting :) And movies around the tree sounds so cozy and comforting. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Running Moose said...

Great week of running! Love the quotes- thanks!

Amy Lauren said...

Congratulations on your 100 mile week and being renamed as a Brooks athlete :). I can't wait to read your review of the PureFlow 2's, I have the first version and really like them so far.

Mom on the Move said...

I also have been feeling sad since yesterday. Not much to say, just praying for all involved and feeling blessed with all that I have in my life.
Congratulations on 100 miles in a week. Can't imagine that. I am happy to get 100 per month!
Enjoy Christmas with your lovely family.

Bill Fine said...

such good news after such a sad day.....happy for you, Erin...you've earned it!

I can't even imagine a 100-mile week (I can barely manage a 100-mile month!) so congrats on surpassing yet another milestone!

Jill said...

Woohoo, congratulations on a 100 mile week - that is fantastic! And me loves loves loves long treadmill runs. Plop in a movie and forget about anything else! :) Nice job lady, keep being super strong!

Kristen Lawrence said...

Congrats on 100 miles and Brooks!! Nice running week lady :D

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Great week of running! I love my Flows too. Congrats on Brooks again!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Great week of running! I love my Flows too. Congrats on Brooks again!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Great week of running! I love my Flows too. Congrats on Brooks again!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

You deserve every good thing!

Suz and Allan said...

Congratulations on your 100 mile week and being sponsored by Brooks again!

Kim said...

I am just curious, and I don't know if you have addressed this before, but when do you fit your running in, with your busy life? Do you get up way early?
If you have done a blog post on this before, if you could just post a link to it.
Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Christina Williams said...

Many congrats on the 100 miles and Brooks sponsorship renewal! I agree with you on trying to remember the goodness in the world while we are gripped with sorrow at the tragedies. I am still having a hard time processing it, but am trying to remember the good as well. My heart is just so broken for the families :(

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

Congratulations on the 100 mile week and the Brooks renewal. I love to Run Happy in my Brooks too! I love the entire Pure line of shoes.