Monday, December 3, 2012

Big Enough

I have 90 miles on the schedule this week.  I do love the high mileage. :) My training is going really well and I am excited about how good I feel. It seems to be the right blend of high mileage, intensity, and easy days because my overall energy level is still really good, my legs feel great, and my runs and workouts have all been solid. It is exciting! (And the Tallahassee Marathon is now two months away!)

Thanks for all of the encouragement and support on my last post about the new standard for the 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials.

Just to be clear, there is no part of me that believes that running a sub 2:43 marathon is going to be easy, and not for a minute do I believe that success is a given. I am not unrealistic, and I am well aware of what a huge challenge it is, and how few runners actually achieve the Olympic Marathon Trials standards (less than 200 women for the 2012 trials).

As I said in my last post, I knew there was a strong likelihood that the time standard would be lowered, making my dream that much harder to achieve. So when it did happen I had two choices. I could be discouraged, I could quit, and I could decide my goal was out of reach. I could let those three minutes cause me to lose heart and give up. 

Or I could decide to keep moving forward, keep pushing, keep learning, keep improving, keep training, and keep striving to be the best marathoner I can be. I could keep my goal and keep fighting for this dream.

The decision was easy for me, because I know in my heart that I would rather be the girl that gave it her all chasing after a dream and came up short than I would the girl who got discouraged and gave up without truly seeing what was possible.

To me, the thought of giving up and not going for it is much scarier than going for it and coming up short. "Win" or "lose", I know I will not regret trying, but I know I would regret letting fear and doubt defeat me.

I love that the standards were lowered just two days after I wrote my post about being BOLD.

With all my heart I want to run in that Olympic Trials Marathon. I want to line up with the best women marathoners in the U.S.A. That would be the ultimate achievement and honor in running for me, and I am not afraid to work hard for it. Over the next three years I will do my very best to get there, and I will enjoy and be grateful for the journey, no matter what. 

“If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.” - Ellen Johnson Sirleaf 

"In response to those who say to stop dreaming and face reality, I say keep dreaming and make reality."  ~Kristian Kan

"If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."  ~Thomas Alva Edison

"Don't let anyone steal your dream.  It's your dream, not theirs."  ~Dan Zadra

"There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream."  ~Author Unknown  

14 comments:

Stephanie@Soggy Runner Girl said...

Go get it girl! I believe in you!

Carla Birnberg said...

CHEERING YOU ON FROM TEXAS!!!

MizFit

Rene' said...

I feel like you are going to do it!

Teamarcia said...

I did not hear about the change in standards. Excited for you--go get it girl!

Christina Williams said...

I love that approach - being the girl who went for it and tried rather the one who gave up and didn't try. You can do this! I keep thinking, this is how my attitude needs to be, to try reaching a BQ. I haven't put that on my goal list because there is a big part of me that thinks I can't, but I need to turn that attitude around. Working on it ... :) You have the right attitude and drive to make your goal happen!

Mark Matthews said...

Aim big, no matter what, it will pull the best out of you. And it's always the journey that changes us, not the destination. I was thinking of your 'go big or don't go at all' type of post when I was at the track the other day.

Runners Fuel said...

Good luck! Can't wait to hear!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

How beautiful and exciting to watch this unfold. You have to go out on a limb to get the fruit and we never know unless we try. I have tried many things; some have succeeded and some have not...but I have NEVER regretted the effort and have grown with each experience. I know this will not be easy; but I know that you will put into yourself the work that it will take to be the very very best that you can be. At the end of your life, you will be able to say you gave your best to this life. Not just in running, but in your relationship with Josh, your children, other family, and friends, and all of those decisions that you have made that have come together to make your life what it is today.

You inspire. You spit in the face of the improbable and show us that it can be done. You are raising twelve beautiful children and nurturing their talents and helping them to become their own best selves. All the while, you lead by example and do all of these things to the very best of your ability. Could you get by with less effort and still have a good life? Yes. But you are showing the world that there is much greater fulfillment to be gained when you give your very best effort.

I would argue (and I think you'd agree) that if you were capable of a 2:40 marathon and settled for a 2:42:59 just because it got you into the Trials, that you should be disappointed in yoursel because you didn't give your best effort.

In my (not so) humble opinion, this is less about the Trials and more about you bringing to the marathon he very best Erin that you have to offer. The Trials give a very challenging goal and will push you to do just that.

Godspeed, my friend.

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

I love your attitude and outlook about continuing to pursue your goal. Truly inspiring!

Nicole said...

You got this Erin, believe!

Hanneke said...

And if it doesn't happen this time then there is always next time. You're still young...

coach dion said...

I don't see what the problem is... You aren't there yet, and you are going to get faster, so get faster and when the time comes, we hope you have one of those perfect days, and the race of your life... And who know where the clock will stop, and there is no reason we can't wish / dream for a 2h43. I missed out on running a sub 2h30, I lined up a couple of time in shape, but the wind in Cape Town put pay to any fast time...

So for me, go and get that dream...

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

I always say, it is better to try and fail then to never try at all! But then, I always firmly believe by trying and pushing your own limits, you are a success by having the courage to test yourself. God Bless!

Suz and Allan said...

You can do this! You have such a wonderful, positive outlook on everything. That will prove to be nothing but an asset in these next few years of training, I'm sure.