Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Random smiles

In no particular order, here are some random thoughts and updates. :)

- This week is a special week for my Noah.  For newer blog readers, we were very blessed to get to adopt Noah in September 2009. He was born in Ethiopia and adopted by a family in the United States who decided not to keep him after he was diagnosed with multiple significant special needs including a rare form of epilepsy, cortical vision impairment, significant developmental delays, feeding disorder, cerebral palsy.

When Noah came home to us we were given almost no hope at all that we would ever get his seizures under control (after multiple failed seizure drugs). At a year old he could not sit up (and struggled to support his own head). He appeared to be almost completely blind. He was very developmentally delayed and we were told he may never make any progress.

Faith, hope, support, encouragement, access to the best medical care, therapy, and unconditional love go a long way, and yet I know that Noah's story is a miracle. As of this week, his seizures have been gone for THREE years. He is still at a high risk for having seizures, but we have had three blessed years seizure free. He is walking, climbing, communicating, learning, laughing, playing, progressing, loving...every day a miracle.

Last week we had another big milestone. After almost three years of being dependent on a feeding pump (if you have kids imagine for one minute the challenges of having a busy toddler tied to a machine 22 hours a day), we are PUMP FREE. Noah is still 100% tube fed (he struggles with chewing and swallowing without choking) but his stomach has been able to handle larger volumes of formula at once several times a day, so the feeding pump is no longer necessary. A HUGE blessing.

Noah still has significant medical issues and severe developmental delays, but his continued slow but steady progress and the joy he lives with despite his challenges is an inspiration and a reminder every day that we should never doubt what God can do.
My baby Noah and I playing today
- Winter is here. That means I have been running lots and lots of treadmill miles. I don't mind running in the cold or on snow, but icy roads are no fun, especially in the dark. Here is a picture from out my window taken today. Last week we got over 8 inches of snow, but a lot has melted and now more is coming down.
I love my mountains
- Here is one more picture from the trip to NY. This was taken on the LIRR (train), riding in to NYC from my parents' house. Our one weekend a year "kid-free" went way too fast, but like I told Josh when we got home, it is living the day to day life we have built together that I love the most anyway.
We have been together almost 17 years - almost half my life. I so love this guy. :)
- Seriously, my Penny is the best dog ever. I love her! She is crazy smart, tons of fun, and all she wants from life is for me to sit down so she can snuggle up. She likes to play in the snow for about three minutes and then she is too cold. :) When we were in NY my Dad told me that my Grandma Claire (who died when I was 10 but was one of my most favorite people) had a Boston Terrier named Windy when she was growing up that was her favorite. I had not know that, and it makes me really happy to think about.

- Having your BFF live across the country is harder some days than others. I am so grateful we get to text, talk on the phone, and be connected as much as we do, but I can't wait until we get to hang out again. In 11 weeks I will be on my way to Tallahassee to get in some serious girl time (oh, and to set a major new marathon PR). :)
I am so grateful for the love and support i get from this girl

- My Mom sent me this quote earlier this week. Love it. :) (And thanks to all of you who also posted or emailed your favorite quotes in response to my last post).

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."- Ancient Chinese Proverb

Ok, that's all for now. Time for bed! My 4am alarm will be ringing before I know it.

10 comments:

coach dion said...

Long Story;
Mr Rat has been hiding in the ivy (and the dogs have been waiting for him to make a wrong move)for over a week and last night at 03h30 the trap went off and the dogs were up. (the trap didn't catch Mr Rat, but he was dead when I looked on the roof (don't know what happened)). Now we were awake and we got thinking about people who get up at that time to go running (I might have gone for a run if I wasn't tapering) So I take my hat off to you for getting up at 04h00 to train.

About Noah, all I can say is you are amazing, and even more so because you already had a hundred kids!!! We couldn't even get our heads around having one!!! (you've got enough to go round)

L.A. Runner said...

Reading about Noah brings a huge smile to my face. It's why I teach special needs- small (or huge) miracles that no one believed would happen. There's no doubt in my mind that he's accomplished so much from the love, support, and caring you and Josh have given him (and likely other siblings, too).

Ya know... Tallahassee isn't too far from here...

And UGH, I would die if I had to do a bunch of dreadmill miles. Ick. I don't see how you do it.

Mark Matthews said...

Wow and amazing on the Noah front. And I have problems when my child's nose is stuffy. Your strength is across the board.

Vicky Cook said...

Your snowy picture is beautiful but I feel your pain when it comes to trying to run in it (not a problem in Houston but it was in Scotland!)
No, I cannot imagine my toddler being attached to a machine 22 hours day, cannot even begin to. That's wonderful news for you all that this is no longer necessary! I hope it feels like some weight has been lifted off your shoulders.
Keep up the good work!

Murph said...

Noah is so blessed to have great parents like you two.

Run with Jess said...

OMG, snow already!?! Say it ain't so...

misszippy said...

Noah is just so sweet--love the picture of the two of you and love all the amazing progress he's made! Fantastic.

So true about friends--my best friend from childhood and I have lived apart since post college, but we can always fall right back into step with each other when we are together.

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Noah is a miracle and his light shines and we all get to see it...what a blessing he is to so many! I too am counting the days and making plans for while you are here :-) I can't wait to be a loud, obnoxious spectator!

Raina said...

So glad to see Noah is making big strides! Your face is so BRIGHT playing with him. I can tell God called you to be a mom in the biggest way :)

17 years...wow. We have are going on 14. Hard to believe.

About the TM..Maybe a yaktrax run every now and then is in order. :)

lindsay said...

i love to hear when people defy the doctor's odds! go noah!! what a blessing :)