Friday, November 30, 2012

New Standard - New Goal

I had a very solid workout this morning. I ran about 10.5 miles, and had a 20 minute tempo session in the middle. I ran 3.13 miles in 20 minutes, which means I ran a 5k in about 19:50. I was running hard but very controlled and not a race effort. I was out on the road on my own and this was my second tough workout in three days, so I am happy with how this went. I am excited about how good I am feeling and my confidence is slowly coming back.

And look what I had on my feet this afternoon, just in time for a 20 miler this weekend! Woo hoo! PureFlow 2's! A fellow Brooks teammate works in a running store in Florida and was awesome enough to overnight me a pair when his store got a shipment in yesterday. Oddly enough, we don't have any running specialty stores up here in the middle of nowhere. :)

I am not much for pink, but my friend said that they are "neon salmon". Ha! Neon Salmon it is. They feel AMAZING. I can't wait to run in them in the morning.

In bigger news...

Today at the USA Track and Field Meetings, the Olympic Marathon Trials standards for 2016 were voted on. My new goal is to beat 2:43, and my window of opportunity will open in August of 2013 and will close 30 days before the Olympic Trials race (so I will have until late 2015 or early 2016).

Am I discouraged that it just got a little bit harder? No. I knew it was a possibility (likelihood) that the standard would be moved from 2:46 to 2:43 so I was prepared for that. Bring it on. :)

“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” - Randy Pausch

14 comments:

Zaneta said...

Bring it on indeed! You've SO got this! :) And I LOVE the PureFlow 2's! :)

Mark Matthews said...

I remember reading that the standards would get harder, and thought of you. Yes, the bar's higher, but so is your resolve. And you got some time to hit your peak.

BTW, thanks for the Toledo marathon vote. I think that's the one I wanted to pick. (besides bayshore which is just too far for my purposes.)

Gracie said...

DANG. 2:43! Go get it!

christa said...

Neon Salmon looks like they wll be fast shoes :)

KimPossible said...

Digging the neon salmon!
I bought my whole sales team The Last Lecture for our meeting last month and wrote the quote you mention above in the card I sent them with the book - love that one!

L.A. Runner said...

When I first started thinking about the OT as a possibility for me, the standard was 2:48. The closer I got, the farther away they moved it! I like your positive attitude. I think I'm pretty much putting that goal away for myself. ;)

jayloh said...

I posted, this week, about how much I was drooling over the new Flows. When I saw your post & pic, I had to fight my ugly and intense jealous to produce a comment.

So happy you snagged a pair. (really!)

Annie Crow said...

Love that quote!

Raina said...

Pretty salmon shoes!! :)

New goals are there because everyone keeps getting faster- YOU included!

Molli said...

The shoes go with being BOLD :)

You go!

-Molli

fancy nancy said...

Bring it...you can do this!!! LOVE the shoes!!

Christie said...

Big goals = big results. Learned that from YOU! :)


How do these compare to the pureconnects??

Mommy Run Fast said...

Awesome 5k in the middle of your workout! I didn't realize they were voting on tougher standards.. I'm glad you're not bothered by it!

lindsay said...

well i love hot pink! strange how there aren't running stores by you... ;)

2:43. bring it!