Wednesday, November 28, 2012

BOLD

One of my favorite things about the running community is the way that we can inspire, encourage, learn from, uplift, and cheer on each other.

I recently got a comment on this post that has stuck in my head and had me thinking.

Annie from "Go Crow Go!" said, "Thank you for having this goal and writing about it - for being bold. Reading about your journey has emboldened me to claim my running goal - to qualify for Boston. I know this will be years in the making and that is just fine. Thanks for the inspiration!"

She was thanking me for inspiring her, but her comment inspired me!! And since she posted it, I have had that thought in my mind often. "Be bold". First it was just a little thought... a whisper... a seed. And through each hard workout, each long run, my prayers, and a lot of thoughts, it has grown and grown into a bigger thought, a louder voice, and a confident mantra. "Be BOLD." I love it. I have embraced this thought fully.

I looked up the definition of bold and here are the three meanings that apply the best-


 - not hesitating or fearful in the face of actual or possible danger or rebuff; courageous and daring


- necessitating courage and daring; challenging
- beyond the usual limits of conventional thought or action; imaginative


The more I have thought about it, the more I have felt strongly that being bold is the best way to be in most aspects of your life. Love boldly. Live boldly. Be bold in your faith. Run boldly. 
Get married at age 19 when you know you have found the love of your life? YES. Move across the country with three kids under the age of five to a place you have never been, when you know it is where you belong? YES. Adopt special needs kids that the world has give up on even though the road will not be easy? HECK YES. Have a big transracial family that you know is perfect - created by God - even if others don't see it that way? Amen. Yes.  

Set big goals? Announce them to the world even if you may fail? Push your limits? Reach for the stars? Have big dreams? Work hard and be proud of it, no matter the outcome? Believe in your potential?

YES.

The possibility of failure can be scary. But it is not as scary as not trying - as not chasing after your dreams - as not living life to the fullest. 
Be bold. The thought has stayed with me, and I love it. (Thank you Annie!!!!)

I will be bold. I will live bold. I will run bold.


"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." - Helen Keller

"Stand upright, speak thy thoughts, declare The truth thou hast, that all may share; Be bold, proclaim it everywhere: They only live who dare." - Voltaire

"Freedom lies in being bold." - Robert Frost

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

 

9 comments:

Mark Matthews said...

Great post. Yes, I am trying to more and more tell myself that I will regret the things I do not do more than I regret the things I do, and the expression "go big or go home" can apply to all areas of my life. It can be as simple as things like going out on a limb with a gift for somebody, or writing things that I had only thought about writing but had thought was too 'out there' before, to taking the kids to places where they may have meltdowns but go anyway. Looking at your list, you definitely have a heart of gold but guts of Steel. I'm feeling a little chicken in saying I'm going to get a BQ with the new qualifying times (I'm right at the old times) but I don't think that tentativeness will last.

Terzah said...

A very good post for me at this moment! :^)

(I still can't believe anyone would say your family is anything but perfect.)

L.A. Runner said...

I love this post. Kind of like "Go hard or go home." I love it. A *lot* of people won't set goals because they are afraid of disappointment. And yes, failure is possible. But... you have to risk. You will not achieve without that risk. And yes, it is totally worth it! :)

Kim said...

Yes. Rock On!!!!!

Jill said...

This reminds me of a post I wrote a very long time ago...here's a small (but long :)) section of it....

"If I wrote a book about my arc as a runner what would it say? Would it be an inspirational story about a girl who came from running the mile in college who, for tragedies in her youth, took up marathoning because physical pain felt better than emotional pain - and somehow ran the Boston Marathon? Is it the story of someone in her middle age who took up marathoning to be a better friend, mother and wife? Would it be about the struggles with her first marathon or likewise her last? Or perhaps a story where she knew more about herself in the 3:58 time frame it took to cross her very first 26.2 miles than she knew about herself in the 34 years prior? I don’t always want to get up early and run. I didn’t want to keep running after I threw up. I didn’t. When it was hot outside I wanted to stay home, eat ice cream and bury my head in my freezer. But I knew later, after I finished the run, I’d love the memory. What makes our stories great are their conflict and their grit. Don’t run away from the work – run until you puke, make the sacrifices and make it count, because you’re going to appreciate the reward so much more if you give something up and put the work in. Don’t settle for less than you’re capable of and don’t be afraid to set a goal that might cause you to fail. Without risk, our stories are lame and boring. I don’t want lame and boring, I want exciting, inspirational and dare I say it – epic.

Our lives need life. We weren’t made to sit in cubes or offices all day, come home, zone out for 3 hours in front of the TV, go to bed and get up to do it again. Our stories need risk and conflict and hurdles. Think of your favorite movies – are they about people who quit in the middle or never tried something daring or new? Probably not. It’s scary and difficult and often a grind to get what we want. But I want to live. I don’t want to look back and think “gosh I could have done so much more with the time I have” or “if only I’d tried harder or risked more or trusted that there was more out there.” I want to seize and try and fail gloriously and then get up and try again. And it’s about more than just running. I think when we take risks with our racing and training that translates to other areas. It gives confidence and the determination to go after that promotion, relationship or scary situation. Surely if you can run 26.2 miles while feeling ill you can ask for a raise or a date or forgiveness"

You go, girl!! Love your attitude!
(hugs)

Adrienne said...

If you're not pushing your limits, then are you are living a numb existance. Butchered Dean Karnazes quote...

Neither of us want any part of that!

Be bold!

Annie Crow said...

I'm blushing!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

This is spot on and applies to everyone. Thank you! As I've gotten older, I've found that it is empowering to be bold, and that life goes on when we try and fail. Not only does it go on, I find I live more purposefully, because failure is just a step on the ladder to success.

Yo Momma Runs said...

I just came over from Canuck Mom's site, and now that I'm here, I totally remember reading about your family in Runner's World. Your family is beautiful!