Friday, October 12, 2012

Yay for a long run and puppy love

I had a (much-needed) great long run this morning. I did 18 miles, with a two mile warm up, 14 miles of workout and a two mile cool down. I averaged a 7:11 pace for the 14 mile portion and was very happy with that. After two weeks of break (easy running, no Garmin, no long distances, etc.) it feels good to be training again. The feeling after a great long run is awesome. Now I am enjoying a relaxing Friday with my family.

Last Friday we had a new addition to our family. Meet Penelope Newton Henderson (aka Penny). :) She is a Boston Terrier, so her middle name is a nod to those dang hills in the Boston Marathon.

Penny came to us a through a friend who has Boston Terriers. Penny had been found, very lost and very skinny. My friend called many animal shelters, vets, and even the police department and could not find an owner looking for her. A trip to the vet led to a microchip scan which led to an owner who did not want her back. My friend's Boston didn't like another dog in the house, and my friend just wanted to see Penny end up with a family to love her.

We were hesitant at first. We knew she would have to be a perfect fit, especially great with Noah and with Amanda's kitty. And let's face it - I need something else to take care of like I need a hole in the head. But my friend brought Penny over for us to meet and it was love at first sight. I love, love, love this dog.
She is almost six years old (but Boston's can live to be 16-18 years old). She is crazy smart and knows lots of tricks and commands. She is totally housebroken and doesn't chew or get into anything. She really, really, REALLY wants to chase Figaro (the kitty) but she resists most of the time and is super nice to him even though he is not always super nice to her. She gets long great with our black lab, Jazz. She snores, which is the cutest thing ever. She is playful, sweet, and loving with everyone (and Josh and the kids love her!) but she likes me best. :) She is wimpy in the cold like me too. And she is so cute!

After a week I can definitely say that she feels like my dog. Kind of feels like she has always been here. 

Fig is giving her the evil eye. :)

This is my view as I lay on the couch in recovery mode. My favorite blanket, my laptop and my dog. Awesome!

 Happy Friday everybody! More soon. :)

13 comments:

giraffy said...

Nice run, speedy pants :D

That dog is adorable.

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

omgoodness!!! What a little sweetheart. What a meanie horrible previous owner but lucky you! I miss my boston terribly :( The cat is pretty perfect looking at him like "really why are you here?"

Denise said...

What a cute dog! Really nice that the dog already house broken! At least you do not have to add that to your list of things to do!

Congrats on the great run! :)

Suz and Allan said...

Penny is so cute! I hope she is a wonderful addition to the family.

Raina said...

Holy smokes!! 7:11 for how long?! That must have felt GREAT.

Love your new member of the family!

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

oh my gosh, your doggy is so cute! and i love love LOVE her name!

your long run sounds wonderful!!!

Gracie said...

That is some cute dog! She looks right at home! I think a Boston terrier is pretty fitting for you ;)

Mama of 5 said...

We have a Boston too! Love love love these sweet dogs.
Becky

Christina said...

Awww! Super cute! I've heard so many good things about Boston's and she is adorable. It's so nice to 'rescue' an animal too. We have one Schnoodle and there are times I feel we need to add to our menagerie and other times I feel like we 'need it like a hole in the head', ha ha :) If the right needy one came along ... enjoy her!

Canuck Mom said...

Wonderful run!! Your dog is the cutest. Sounds like a sweetie too.

Jill said...

Penelope is sooooo cute!! :)

Jen said...

OMG this dog is too cute! congrats on your new addition ;)

My Inner French Girl said...

Am so glad that you opted to keep the baby! I volunteer with a local animal rescue organization and have been running my own fledgling animal rescue media site, so I'm always heartened to hear when someone adopts rather than goes to a breeder. Love it! Congrats on the new member of the family!

(And yes, I realize my comment is a few months late, but although I've been following your blog off and on the past few months, it's only now that I learned of this one through your recent post about your favorite articles. Thanks for the repost!)

Salut,
Marjorie