Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Running, racing, and raising

One of the many great things about the running community is the way that time and time again, runners come together to support each other, those in need, and good causes. The ING NYC Marathon raises over a MILLION dollars a mile through runners who fundraise and/or run for a charity team.

This year, both Josh and I are raising money for causes near and dear to our hearts through our running of the ING NYC Marathon on November 4 (the day after Josh's birthday!!)

I got in to the marathon with a qualifying time, but I am raising money for my organization, the Rollstone Foundation, which gives grants to families adopting special needs children. As a parent who has adopted several special needs children, and as one who worked for years as an adoption coordinator for special needs children, this is obviously near and dear to my heart. Children with special needs, who arguably need to be adopted the very most, often wait and wait for adoptive families. By reducing the financial barriers related to adoption, Rollstone helps to get the neediest of children into adoptive families as quickly as possible. It makes me so proud and grateful that my parents have given so much to this cause and have helped so many families and special needs children come together.

If you would be willing to support me while I run the NYC Marathon you can visit my Crowdrise page here. The Rollstone Foundation is a registered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit charitable organization and contributions are tax-deductible. Money raised goes directly to grants to approved, adoptive families who are adopting orphaned children with special needs.

My awesome husband Josh is running the NYC Marathon for Achilles International.  Achilles is an INCREDIBLE organization whose mission is "to enable people with all types of disabilities to participate in mainstream athletics in order to promote personal achievement, enhance self esteem, and lower barriers to living a fulfilling life." If you have run a major marathon you have likely seen Achilles athletes and volunteers - they are incredibly inspiring and awesome to watch!

Our youngest son, Noah, is 3 1/2 years old and he was born in Ethiopia with cerebral palsy, epilepsy, vision impairment and other special needs. He just started walking this summer, which has been the most wonderful miracle! We are so grateful for Achilles International, and the knowledge that when he is older, Noah will have the opportunity to participate in mainstream sports if he chooses.

You can see Josh's Crowdrise page (and pics and even a VIDEO clip of my super cute Noah) by clicking right here.

THANK YOU to any amount you can contribute to either or both of our causes. I know money is tight for most of us and that lots of people are raising money for lots of good causes, but even small donations can make a big difference.



If you are following along on the Ragnar Swagnar virtual relay, make sure you check out the new post and the great giveaway package today over at Run, Eat, Repeat!

7 comments:

Suz and Allan said...

Both are great causes and I hope you guys are both able to raise a lot of money for both!

Adrienne said...

Props to both of you for raising cash while doing the things you love!

I think that fundraising brings proper perspective to our training and racing-much more purposeful and fulfilling.

Best of luck:)

Kristin said...

Hoping to organize a runner/blogger meet up race weekend, I'll keep you in the loop! Would love to meet you and your husband. You're truly an inspiration!!!

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

Such amazing organizations you are helping. Way to go!

L.A. Runner said...

NYCM is my absolute favorite marathon of all. Seriously, I've done 29 and that one is at the top of my list! It's so awesome that you and Josh get to share that experience!

Raina said...

I am so excited you get to experience NYC! You and Josh are so inspiring. It is a WONDERFUL thing you are able to raise money and awareness for adoption and enabling anyone to participate in athletics.

Laura @ Mommy run fast said...

I love that you are both doing charity races- it magnifies the power of the run so much more with a cause behind it. If I end up running the Houston full, it will be for the MS foundation (my dad was diagnosed 10 years ago). Hope you exceed your financial goals!