Sunday, October 21, 2012

In a New York state of mind

Things are going well here. Busy as always, but mostly good. There has been some stress and challenges, but that is life. I choose to look at my blessings and be grateful for them and move forward with a smile on my face.

My Shane turned 13 yesterday (which, if you are counting, means I officially have FIVE teenagers. YIKES!) and my Shorty turns seven this week, so we have lots of fun stuff going on. Of course Halloween is a very fun time of year to have a house full of kids. And then let's not forget....

There are two weeks until the NYC Marathon!!


I am looking VERY forward to this trip, this race, and this experience.

First, Josh and I (thanks to his mom and sister) are getting an extended weekend in New York, without any kids. All of that time alone with Josh is worth it's weight in GOLD. I love Josh with all my heart and cannot wait to have fun with him and to get to enjoy being with each other and going on this awesome trip. I love my kids and am almost never away from them (and don't like being away from them) but I know this time for Josh and I is important and needed. Did I mention it is going to be fun?? I am going to treasure every minute. Yay!

Of course going to NY means I get to see my parents!!!! I can never get enough time with them and I cannot wait to have a long weekend with them. They are so, so good to us and just fill my heart up every time we are together. I can't wait to sleep at their house and ride in their car and just be with them. I also am excited to see my brother, other family members and friends that I rarely get to see.

With the NYC Marathon being the huge event that it is, there are lots of runners and people in the running community that we will get to see that I am looking forward to, and, I can't wait to soak in all the fun and excitement that goes with the NYC Marathon!!

I was offered credentials for the media/press conference in Central Park on Friday morning and will be taking advantage of that (can't wait!) and there are several other fun and exciting things in the works for the weekend.

And, I am excited to run. I am excited to race. Yes, this is a "pressure free" marathon for me. I am not going in to it with any set goals or expectations. After the disaster that Denver was and as run down and broken as I felt, I have been been scaling back a bit and taking care of myself. I have removed some pressure from myself and have been enjoying my runs even more than usual. I am going in to this race with the goal of enjoying it, smiling, and feeling good. Hopefully there will be some fast in there too. I love NY. I love the feel of the city. I love the NYC Marathon and all that goes with it. I love that I am getting to go and experience this with Josh. I can't wait to run the streets of NY. :)

GOOD LUCK and congrats to all of those who are racing today. I have so many friends out there and I am so proud of all of you.

And here is a quote I am carrying with me today.

“Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering.” - Steve Maraboli

8 comments:

Jill said...

I have never been to NYC, I couldn't imagine a better way to do it than to run a marathon. I'm super jealous! :) But oh so excited for you to go home to your roots, see some family, and spend some awesome quality time with your man - alone. Could anything be sweeter right now? I think not. Love your new attitude for this race, I think it's exactly what you need!!

((hugs))

Jen@runfortheboys said...

So excited for this long weekend for you and Josh! It is going to be awesome!!! Love the quote you posted and love you bunches :-)

On the Right Track said...

I'm not running it of course, but we may go in to watch because my friend (annette) is running it!! I will look for you;)

L.A. Runner said...

So many teenagers! I will be praying for you for sure. Haha. Oh, NYCM... my favorite marathon of all 30 that I've done. It is such a blast. I also love the city. You guys will have a total blast. Oh, and while it's on my mind, don't even THINK about getting a cab after the race. We (my mom and aunt with me) depended on a cab to get back to our hotel after the race and couldn't get one. I walked 3 miles in the freezing cold. It doesn't seem like much, but after a marathon- UGH! Enjoy your weekend; you deserve it!!!!!

Elly said...

Hey Erin, enjoy NY! It will be a well-deserved break for you. I look forward to hearing about the marathon and all the sights afterwards :)

Canuck Mom said...

Enjoy every moment of NYC!! I have never been there and it is on my bucket list. Enjoy the run too. That quote is absolutely perfect. It is all about embracing the moment you are standing in.

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

I cannot wait for NYC either! I've never spent time in the city and am excited to explore and be a tourist, and I am super excited to run the marathon. I can't believe it is only 13 days away...

lindsay said...

press credentials - that's exciting! :) glad you and josh will get to have a mini vacation together!