Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Change

Thanks to all of you who have sent me messages and comments. I have learned that sometimes it is better to say (or write) little, and let your actions speak louder than your words and the words of others.

All that I am going to say is that even though change can be difficult, change can also be good, and change can be necessary. When something is not working for you, even when you really want to make it work, the smart thing to do is to make a change.


Referring back to my last post on choices, I choose to focus my time and attention on all of the joys and blessings and incredible people in my life. I choose to be optimistic and hopeful and to see the best in people. I choose to let go of hurt. I choose kindness. I choose to use my life to do good and to lift up others. I choose peace and joy. I choose to smile.

And I sure as heck choose to keep doing what I love and to keep chasing after my dreams. I have all of the love, support, and encouragement that I need. I have the work ethic and determination that I need. And now I will have the guidance and plan that I need. The goal is the 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials, however the joy is in all of the experiences along the way, in the love of the run, and in the journey of discovering how good I can be.

"That's what running does to lives. It's not just exercise. It's not just achievement. It's a daily discipline that has nothing to do with speed, weight, social status, sexual orientation, political affiliation, where you live, what car you drive, or whether anyone anywhere loves you. It's about the slow and painful process of being the best you can be." - Martin Dugard

"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." -Walt Disney

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." - Dalai Lama  

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

"A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work." - Colin Powell

10 comments:

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

I just commented elsewhere that goals give me an added purpose to my running. Dream big, push hard, and strive for your goals but you are right, it is important to find the joy and happiness along the course.

Have a beautiful Wednesday!

Laura @ Mommy run fast said...

Beautiful, timely quotes, as usual. :) Keep chasing those goals. Excited for you at NYC!

Suz and Allan said...

Thanks for sharing all these great quotes! Each and every choice affects some aspect our life and that of our family and I have no doubt you are making the right choices for you and your family.

Julia said...

thank you for always sharing your wisdom and these amazing quotes. the one from Disney really stuck with me. I want to hear I am doing well and have all positive experiences...but sometimes its the toughest trials where i learn the most!

Terzah said...

Hey Ms. E--Just catching up with your blog. Hope all is well with you and yours. You are going to have a fantastic time in NYC with Josh--best of luck through whatever choice and change you are navigating. You've done rough waters before.

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Love the quotes. My favorite is the one from the Dalai Lama.

MLS said...

I feel like I missed something . . .

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

This is so helpful for me to read right now. I'm having some minor health issues going on and it's so frustrating with the marathon coming up next weekend. But now I will choose to focus on the good things. I am grateful that my body has been working well all summer and I have gotten to run so much. I'm grateful that I will still be going to NY with my family and still running the marathon (or walking it if I must!). Perspective is everything and we can choose to change our's for the better. Thanks!

Raina said...

Erin, I know you'll probably post again before NYC, but JUST IN CASE, I hope you have the best marathon ever!! And Josh too :))

I especially appreciate the Colin Powell quote. There is no such thing as "magic".

jessie said...

Yes, as MLS said, I feel like I missed something too. I love the quotes and the inspiration that you give me to get out there and run. Whatever transition you are going through, I know that you will make the best choice for you and your wonderful family.