Monday, September 17, 2012

Taper Take Two

It's taper and race week again! Five days until the Denver Rock n Roll Marathon. :) I had a fairly big week of training last week (80 miles) and all is feeling good. Here is a post I put on Facebook on Friday -  
"On Tuesday I had an 18 mile day which included 8x800's with an average time of 2:48 (2:47, 2:49, 2:51, 2:46, 2:48, 2:53, 2:50, 2:46 ). Today I had 16 miles with a 2 mile warm up, then 12 miles with splits of 7:08, 7:00, 6:58, 7:00, 7:07, 7:08, 7:06, 7:01, 6:34, 6:53, 6:25 and 6:31, then two mile easy cool down. Add in two tempo runs and a couple of easy runs and it was a great week of training. Now it's time to taper again for just over a week, and then Denver Rock n Roll next Saturday. Hoping to put all this training together into a great marathon, and so excited that my Mom are going to be there!!!!"
Yes, at the last minute my Mom had something she had committed to doing get cancelled, and as soon as she realized she had the weekend free, she was booking a ticket and making plans to come spend the weekend with me in Denver. I can't even say how excited I am. Having Jennifer in Pocatello with me really helped me stay clam and relaxed before the race and to enjoy celebrating afterwards, so I am really grateful that Pam will be with me. And, we almost never get time alone without Dad, Josh, and/or the kids, so a long weekend together is going to be such a blessing. 
I am working on getting myself psyched back up to race again on Saturday. Preparing to run a marathon is a challenging thing, physically and mentally. Physically I am confident I have done all that I can do. I am not the fastest, I am not the thinnest, I am not the strongest, I am not the youngest, and I have only been running marathons for less than two years, but I am as determined, committed and hard-working as they come. I have done the training. I have put the work in. I have done the extra things that add up. I have not cut corners. 
My stomach continues to be a challenge, however the rest of my body is healthier and stronger than it has ever been, and I am very grateful for that. 
Mentally, running a marathon is choosing to do something that you KNOW is going to be hard and you KNOW is going to hurt. You are choosing to push and challenge yourself - your mind and your body and your spirit - to the limit. And yet at the same time it is fun and exciting and rewarding like nothing else. I love this sport!
My goal in Denver is to PR. I did PR three weeks ago, however things were not perfect, and I did feel that I could have run better/stronger/faster. So in Denver my plan is to run better/stronger/faster.  I am hoping for great (PLEASE not too warm) weather, a calm stomach (more testing/appointments are planned for after this race), and a race that leaves me feeling satisfied with my effort and seeing progress towards my bigger goals. I am proud of my 3:17 marathon PR, but I am hoping that it is short-lived. :)
I have been rereading my Mental Fitness post from before Pocatello, and here are a few more quotes I have also been finding inspiration in.
-"Nearly all runners know the voice in their heads that tells them to back off when the going gets tough. Part of training is to help you get better at ignoring this voice and continuing to push even though the voice gets louder and louder as you get more and more fatigued - this will happen in good races as well as in 'bad' races. Step one in perfect race execution is to recognize that even in great performances, the voice will be there. As my sports pyschologist friend, Dr. Stan Beecham, says, 'You ain't gonna get out of the race pain-free so you gotta pick the pain.' Sitting here evaluating, I think we'd all pick the few minutes of pain in the race over the regret that lives with you for days from a poorly executed effort. In the throes of a race, it's never so easy. So don't hope that the race feels easy. Expect it to be hard and know that you're going to have to repeatedly challenge yourself to ignore the voice in your head that wants you to slow down." -Greg McMillan
- "Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen." -Michael Jordan
-"Fear is probably the thing that limits performance more than anything - the fear of not doing well, of what people will say. You've got to acknowledge those fears, then release them." - Mark Allen (six time Ironman champion) Thanks L!
-"Believe in yourself. Believe in your capacity to do great and good things. Believe that no mountain is so high that you cannot climb it. Believe that no storm is so great that you cannot weather it. You are not destined to be a scrub. You are a child of God, of infinite capacity.

Believe that you can do it whatever it is that you set your heart on. Opportunities will unfold and open before you. The skies will clear when they have been dark with portent...He who is our Eternal Father has blessed you with miraculous powers of mind and body. He never intended that you should be less than the crowning glory of His creations.” - Gordon B. Hinckley
Who else is racing this weekend? Yay for fall racing time! It is definitely fall here no matter what the calendar says. The temps have been in the upper 20's and low 30's in the early mornings, the leaves and trees are gorgeous, and there are hunters everywhere. Fall is my very favorite time of year. :)

25 comments:

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

That first quote is so true! Gotta say, I was so wrapped up in the truth of it that it was hard for me to really digest the others.

Thanks for all your support and good luck with your upcoming race! You are strong and will do great!

christa said...

Fall is my favorite too. I've had some great runs, I am running the Zooma half in Cape Cod on Saturday. It's definetly cooler here in VT, some 40's and 50's at night. I'm not ready for 20s yet. Have a great race!!

Kathy said...

Weather projections are looking good - maybe a hair warm towards the end but you're so fast you'll be done before the sun gets a chance to warm things up too bad!
It's going to be a GREAT day for a GREAT run!!!

Mark Matthews said...

You do have a 'beast' zone unlike very few. Your workouts are impressive. Rocky Mt. Highs to you.

jayloh@runningmovesme.com said...

I'm so jealous of your weather, right now! Just finished 6, humid, 82 degree miles...
Thank you for sharing that Greg McMillan quote. So true!
Enjoy your tapering and mental prepping, this week.

Happy Running Mama said...

Best of luck to you this weekend, Erin! You have worked so hard for this and have so much determination -- you are an inspiration to me in more ways than you can imagine.

Hope you have a great race and I'm looking forward to reading all about it next week!

Adrienne said...

I always race better when my mom's in attendance. That is awesome that your support system will bet there.

Focus on just clicking a mile off at a time! It may not feel that good at the time, but the finished produce will:)

Adrienne said...

I always race better when my mom's in attendance. That is awesome that your support system will bet there.

Focus on just clicking a mile off at a time! It may not feel that good at the time, but the finished produce will:)

mountainkait.com said...

I'm running the Equinox Half Marathon this Sunday in Fort Collins, CO. Should be a good time. Good luck!

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

That's awesome that your mom will be in Denver with you. Thank you for those quotes, they are so inspirational, as are you! Wishing you your speediest race ever this weekend!

Terzah said...

I'm glad your mom and coach will be here--I do know what a difference that makes. You are probably hanging with them most of the weekend, but if there's a casual blogger get-together or something like that, let me know and I'll see if I can get freed up from kid duty. If it's not possible, know that Kathy and I will be at mile 8--we will cheer loudly for you!

Penny said...

That is awesome that your mom will be there to cheer you on. Always love your quotes. Good Luck this weekend

Suz and Allan said...

Good luck with your next marathon this weekend!

Abbey{RUNS} said...

Can't wait to hear how it goes! I saw a quote I liked recently...

"An athlete does not enjoy the pain of training; an athlete enjoy the results of having trained."

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

SO bummed I am not doing RNR Denver this weekend like I planned on doing originally. I would have loved to have met you.

Good luck with getting a new PR. Love all the great inspiration and yay for you mom and coach getting to be there to cheer you on.

Run with Jess said...

Best of luck to you this weekend!! Sounds like you're primed! I was suppose to race a half, but am officially benching myself in hopes that my injury will heal in time for my Nov marathon.

Just Plain Jackie said...

No racing, just a 5K family walk/jog thing for breast cancer ... finishing gets me a free ticket into the state fair! Enjoy your run in Denver... I'll be cheering for you from Seattle!

coach dion said...

I wish you were here running Cape Town Marathon, I would run with you to a sub 3...

Yes you can!!!

L.A. Runner said...

I agree with Coach Dion. You ARE Sub 3 material. Hope the rest of your taper goes well!

Momshomerun said...

How lovely, that your mom is coming to visit you! I hope you have a great time together.

Nicole said...

Best of luck to you this coming weekend! I am running the Ocean's Run Half Marathon and it will be my first! I am nervous and excited but I know I worked hard for this and I am ready.

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

oh erin, you are so beautiful!!! i know you will have an amazing race this weekend. i am so excited for you!!! sending you so so so much love! xoxo

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Just getting around to reading this...you GOT this!!! SO wish I could be there to cheer you on :-)

Yolanda said...

I am praying you pr!!!

I am running my third half marathon Sunday in Ks and hoping for a pr as well.

Jill said...

I really am hoping for your PR in our fine, fine city this weekend. Curious though what your coach thinks about the altitude and he relatively hilly course....but if anyone can do it, you can!! Weather is calling for a high of 80 and breezy, but it will be really cool in the morning for the start!

Hope to see you when you're here! :)

xo