Sunday, September 2, 2012

Pocatello Marathon -PR!

This is super quick - I have much to say and will do a detailed race recap asap, but Jennifer is here (only until tomorrow morning) and I don't want to waste our short time together on the computer.

So here is the short of it -

Pocatello was great!

My official time was 3:17:42.

I was the sixth woman overall, 34th runner overall, and I won my age group (35-39). 

That is a 10 minute PR from January, even with giving up three and a half to four minutes to stomach issues (although my stomach was MUCH improved from previous races, before, during and after the race. Much much improved. It left me really hopeful).

The time was not quite what I was shooting for, but I am really happy with this race. I ran tough, I enjoyed the process, and I was mentally strong the whole way. I did not go out too fast in the first half. When I was running almost completely alone for miles and miles and miles, I kept up the intensity and continued to race. When it got windy and there was no one to draft off of, I didn't get frustrated or give up, I just ran the best I could. When the first 13 miles of downhill ended and the uphills made my legs feel like jello and my pace slowed, I didn't give up, and I kept fighting. When the sun felt hot I reminded myself I had run in much hotter temps in Boston.

I picked people out and picked them off and fed off of the cheers of spectators and other runners (there were half marathoners, and 10k and 5k runners on the course as well and they were great).

It was not an easy day and I was hoping for a slightly faster time, but I am not disappointed. My stomach was improved, I felt mentally strong, I won my age group, it was a wonderful day, and it was a great race.

Coach Rick was very encouraging when I called him after the race, and he said he was proud. He said we still have a lot of work to do (to get to the Olympic Trials) but that we are moving in the right direction. I have three years to qualify for the Olympic Trials (a little longer than that even), and since three years ago I couldn't even break 30 minutes in a 5k, I am feeling confident and faithful. I am believing I can do it.

Two weeks and six days until the Denver Rock n Roll Marathon. :)

I got a water bottle and a big Gerber Daisy
I have lots more pics and lots of story, and it will be coming soon. Until then, you REALLY want to watch this video. Jennifer finished her FIRST MARATHON yesterday, and as she wanted me to, I was waiting for her to finish and to run her in. My friend Alana video taped it and it is really awesome. I never cry when I finish a race, but I was crying like a baby watching Jennifer finish. Check it out!



If you want to the long story of Jennifer's first marathon (!!!!!) you can go see it on her blog here.

I am going to go enjoy this beautiful Sunday afternoon with Jennifer and my family. 

27 comments:

Mark Matthews said...

Been waiting to read about this. You look quite happy!!

Amy Lauren said...

Great job! Congrats on the PR and awesome time, hope you have a nice rest-of-the-weekend and post marathon recovery :)

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

Congratulations! And congratulations to Jennifer! Sounds like a great day. Looking forward to reading your recap. Have fun with your friend and family.

lindsay said...

2 weeks til the next one?!? you are crazy... ;) but inspiring and awesome too! congrats on the PR! boo for stomach issues but hopefully you can continue to figure out what needs to be tweaked.

Bill Fine said...

Great job, Erin.....I already knew you were a rock star, but you just proved it again! And the way you were there for Jen.....onwards!

Abbey{RUNS} said...

Awesome!!! I can't wait to hear more! Totally wish I would have been there... Next year I for sure want to do a race with you. You're friend Jennifer has (unknowingly) convinced me that I have a marathon in my future. HUGS!

Caroline said...

congratulations on the PR Erin

coach dion said...

Nice running and I tell you, you will go faster and faster...

Momshomerun said...

Wow I am soo impressed! Me, I would be grateful to even fĂ­nish a marathon!

jlern1 said...

I am so happy for you! congratulations on a great finish...you have much to be proud of! And how great to get to share it with your BFF--that makes it even more special!
Jenny

ReneighRuns said...

Congratulations, Erin!

Laura @ Mommy run fast said...

Yay, Erin!! That time is fantastic, I'm so thrilled for you! And what a special day to see Jennifer finish her first as well! Enjoy your time together. :)

brg said...

yay for a new marathon PR!!!

Nicole said...

Yay! Way to go! You look so happy in the pics! I hope you and Jen are having a fabulous time.

KimPossible said...

Major congrats on the PR, wow!
And I cried watching the video of you and Jennifer. I always think of running as my 'me' time and avoid running clubs or running buddies because I enjoy that little bit of time just by myself. But seeing you two together, and you running her in to the finish line - well it makes me yearn for someone that would do the same for me! You two are lucky to have each other!

Elly said...

Congrats, Erin! So happy for you! :)

Raina said...

Wow! Congratulations on your fantastic new PR!
What a great day for you. :) I can't believe that you had anything left in your legs to run Jennifer in to her finish.

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Raina :-) haha...she had TWO HOURS to recover and ran me in wearing flip flops...my "sprint" at the end wasn't even a light jog for Erin :-) :-)

misszippy said...

Awesome job, Erin! I knew you had it in you!!! Congrats.

Jill said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! I am so very happy for you!

Hope to see you when you're here in Denver!!!

Adrienne said...

Cheers from Nantucket! Best news! Congratulations!

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

Olympic trials? Are you kidding me? You are so freaking amazing. Seriously I'm baffled at how far you've come. I REALLY want to do an update on you for MMM, if you don't want to write it...I'll just write a blurb and link back to your blog. I know your totally busy. Let me know. Congrats again. :)

monicac2 said...

You ROCK! Congratulations on your PR!

I am chasing 4 hours like you are chasing 3:10 (LOL). So far, I've had 4:52, 4:29, 4:20 and 4:14. I am claiming 4:00 for December. For you, I say your goal awaits you in a couple of weeks. Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!! I can't wait to hear the full report:) glad Jen had a good time:) I will be in boulder the weekend of Denver- I can't convince my husband to drive down for me to race- good luck!!! Carol-WV

JC said...

Congrats Erin! this is so awesome. You're such an inspiration. You'll get that olympic trial qualifier! it's gonna be great :)

jayloh said...

A division win in a marathon?! You're such an inspiration to me.
Congratulations! Enjoy getting excited about your next one...

Jill said...

Great job! Looking forward to hearing the recap.