Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Process of Perseverance

Every time I sit down to write a post I either fall asleep or need to eat something. Running 90+ miles in a week makes a girl tired. And hungry. Really tried. Really hungry. And you would think, or at least hope, that in a peak training week (third week in a row of high intensity and high mileage) that life would cut you some slack in some other areas, but, no such luck. Life goes on...busy and demanding.

Yesterday and today were the meat of my training week (along with a fast 20 miler coming up on Friday). Yesterday was an 18 mile day, with an 8-mile work out in the morning with 8x800 Yasso repeats, and then 10 miles at an easy pace in the afternoon.

I got up yesterday morning to a text from a friend who was supposed to go to the track with me saying she was sleeping in. I was tired. I wasn't looking forward to hitting the track by myself. I was uncharacteristically unmotivated. But I went through the motions, got ready to run, and headed out to the track just before 6am.

Even in to the warm up mile I was feeling somewhat hesitant and concerned about the workout ahead. But I started that first 800 and managed to flip a switch mentally and physically.  I ran by feel (not checking my Garmin) and focused on my form, my breathing, and running fast through each 800. I jogged the rest intervals nice and easy and then hit it again.

I got into a groove, and while I was working REALLY hard, I was enjoying myself too. I found joy in pushing myself, and while it is tough to push yourself so hard when you are alone on a track, I also found it satisfying. It was me and the track. The trepidation I had felt earlier in the morning was completely gone and I was feeling confident, fast, and strong. I knew I was hitting the 800's and I knew I was having a great workout.

My splits were 2:57 (5:58 pace), 2:57, 2:56, 2:54, 2:56, 2:51, 2:53, and 2:47 (5:36 pace). I finished the last one feeling like I was going to barf and collapse, but after a few seconds, before I even let myself check my splits (I never look until I finish the workout), I was smiling. Those are the fastest 800's I have ever done, and they were in the middle of an 18 mile day and a 94 mile week. I feel like I am peaking at just the right time and that all of my training is coming together for a great marathon on September 1.

There were 10 easy miles yesterday afternoon, and a tough 12 miler this morning with eight miles between 6:20 and 7:00 pace. Tonight, my legs are tired! I have 10 easy miles in the morning then a fast 20 miler on Friday, 12 recovery miles on Saturday and then I will finally be at taper time. Whew. I am definitely looking forward to taper.

More soon. Time to sleep (after a quick snack).

"Runners lesson number one: Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did." - @RunAddicted

"That's what running does to lives. It's not just exercise. It's not just achievement. It's a daily discipline that has nothing to do with speed, weight, social status, sexual orientation, political affiliation, where you live, what car you drive, or whether anyone anywhere loves you. It's about the slow and painful process of being the best you can be." - Martin Dugard

21 comments:

giraffy said...

zoinks. Those are some crazy 800's!! Nice!!

coach dion said...

Nice running, what sort of rest were you having?

holding thumbs for your marathon it's time you rocked the marathon distance!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Sub 3. It. Will. Happen. I was so stinking proud of your 800 split times that I FORGOT about Yasso's prediction based on those intervals. You SO could have cranked out 2 more 3 mins or less intervals (especially since that last one was at 2:47) and so you are in shape to go sub 3.

I am so PROUD of you! And life does that....but you rise above all of those challenges and that is what makes you great. So blessed to call you my friend. 15 days till I am there :-)

Adrienne said...

Wow, Erin! That is impressive-love the title too! I imagine you have a nice restful taper ahead of you??

Sounds like the hay truck is approaching the barn:)

Meaghan said...

I LOVE this post! I can tell how happy you are just through your words. And oh.my.SPEEDSTER! I have a masochistic love for Yasso's, but those are DAMN fast! AND in the middle of a HUGE volume week?!? Rock-freakin-star! Keep it up!

PS: what was your rest in b/t 800's?

L.A. Runner said...

Add me to the list of those that are super impressed. I'd say, my dear, YOU are READY!

jayloh said...

I love your coach's advice about "running in the moment". Can't wait to try that out.
It looks like all the pieces are fitting into place for you to have an amazing marathon! Your hard work is so inspiring.

Raina said...

Erin you are doing SUCH an incredible job on top of your already incredible job of MOM. 90 miles? Wow. Watch out marathon!
You must feel invincible !!

Julia said...

ummm this made me hungry and tired just reading it! seriously. you are a rock star. and so motivating to me! i have so much confidence in you that you are ready to rock your upcoming marathon! cant wait to see:) good luck with the rest of the week!!! almost taper time! woo hooo!

Cory Reese said...

I love those quotes!

You are doing so awesome on your training. Seriously, this is so impressive. I agree, that many 800s is enough to cause unintended napping later in the day.

SupermomE12 said...

For those who asked - my coach has me use the Yasso technique for rest intervals, so I take whatever time I ran the previous repeat in and then get that as a rest interval. Since I wasn't checking my splits during the workout, I just programed the Garmin to give me a 2:55 rest interval since i was hoping to run these in about that time. I walk for about ten seconds then jog the rest of the rest interval.

Annie Crow said...

So impressed, both by your time and how you went about doing them. Thanks for the quotes too, I love the one about perseverance.

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

Wow, way to persevere through that workout even when you might not have been "feeling it" first thing that morning. You continue to inspire me!

MCM Mama said...

Wow! Just Wow! You are so motivating.

brg said...

wow-whee! that's some hard work. you are going to crush that marathon!

Momshomerun said...

I'm impressed with your hard work. Keep it up! And I loved the quotations at the end of your post. Very wise.

Momshomerun said...

I'm impressed with your hard work. Keep it up! And I loved the quotations at the end of your post. Very wise.

Teamarcia said...

I can't tell you what a treat it is to see you do so well. You training is amazing and it will all pay off on marathon day. Beyond excited for you!

misszippy said...

Great job! Your splits are showing a really nice marathon coming up!

I love how a run we don't necessarily embrace at the start can be our best. Keeps us coming back for more!

Laura @ Mommy run fast said...

I'm playing catch up after two weeks of travel, but wow, 90+ miles and your fastest 800's? I'm so inpsired! You are a machine-- can't wait to see how this next marathon plays out for you! In the meantime, happy snacking. :)

robinbb said...

As you already read in today's post, I also let a written workout get to me. I think coaches have more confidence in us than we give ourselves credit for. I love running in the moment. My best marathons were run mile by mile not be total time. Both times, I had no idea what my running time was, all I knew was that I was running faster than my goal pace. Love Coach Rick's advice! Nice job on those 800's!