Thursday, August 30, 2012

Goals

I have never been afraid to put myself out there - to set big goals and to say them out loud. I would rather be a person who aims high and has big dreams and works hard to meet them (no matter the outcome), than someone who plays it safe and sets the bar low so I know I will get over it.

No sandbagging here.

On the flip side, I am not a smack-talker or unrealistic. I think good goals are ones that are BIG and stretch what you think you can do, but aren't so far out there that they are setting you up for disappointment. I try to be realistic and at the same time, I am not afraid to take risks and reach for the sky.

So what are my goals for the Pocatello Marathon?

In regards to time on the clock, my "perfect day", everything goes right, totally awesome ideal race-day goal is to be sub 3:10. I would love a new PR that starts with 3:0?. Would that be easy? No. Is it possible? Heck yes.

I have trained at a marathon goal pace of 7:15, which is a 3:10 marathon. Unless I have a marathon miracle, I will likely lose about 4 minutes on the clock because of my stomach. Things have been much improved lately since I have gone gluten free and the longer I go, the better things seem to be, although the issues are not completely resolved. I have run one half marathon where I did not need to stop at all and I had one 20 miler where I only needed one pit stop. I am doing all that I can to set myself up for as little GI issues as possible and am hoping for very little (or none!!) but I will control what I can and not stress over what I cannot. Reading "A Life Without Limits" by Chrissie Wellington and learning about her own GI struggles helped me put this into perspective a little and not stress about it quite so much.

I have been saying my goal is to be sub 3:15, which would be running my goal pace of 7:15 and then taking into account 4 minutes or so lost in the portapotties, but my workouts, my coach, and some fast friends have all indicated that they think a faster time is very, very possible.

All I know is that my current PR of 3:27 (set in January the day after I set a PR in the half marathon at the Goofy challenge) needs to be blown out of the water.  That sucker is way out of date.

The Pocatello course is a unique one in that the first half is all downhill and the second half is mostly flat - it loses about 150 feet elevation overall and has two moderate uphills. (The first half is also significantly cooler in temps because it is earlier in the morning of course and because it is up a canyon). So it is not a course set up to negative split, but at the same time you have to be smart and can't blow it out on the downhill first half and have nothing left for the second half.

I ran this last year (my first Boston Qualifying time!) and I ran the half marathon (which is the second half of the full) the year before, so I am familiar with the course. I have a plan that I will use and adjust according to how I feel.

My plan is to run aggressively but to also run smart. Finding that balance is the key to marathoning!

Some other goals I have for this race -

- Be on the award stand
- Have a strong mental race
- Enjoy the process
- Finish feeling that I ran my best

I have done the work. Now I have to take all of the training, all of those miles, all of that work, and put it together into a great race. 

I am ready to give it my all.

33 comments:

robinbb said...

I am so excited for you and so jealous of you at the same time. I can't believe all the progress you have made this past year and am excited to see you reap your reward. Enjoy your day and think positive. You will do amazing and have so many of us pulling for you!!!!

giraffy said...

I am really excited to see (hear about?) you kill it this weekend. You've done the work, it's time to reap the benefits!

Have a great race!!

bobbi said...

It is your TURN to have a GREAT day! Can't wait to see you crush it! Have fun!!

Amy Lauren said...

I can't wait to read about it :). You will do great regardless, your training looks like it's been going awesome and that is an amazing pace to run for 26.2 miles (honestly it's amazing to run even for a few miles for me!). Good luck with everything and surely your old PR will get smoked!

dilettante07 said...

Go, Erin, go! Can't wait to read all about it. I'll be sending calm thoughts to that tummy of yours.

Kristin said...

So impressed with this! I'm scared to post I want to run under 5:00 in my next marathon because I fear I won't make it...you're brave and will get it!!! Have you tried taking 1 pepto bismal pill? I started doing that and it settled down my stomach so I didn't have to stop during long runs or my marathon. I'm sure you have tried many things but I thought I'd pass along that tidbit ;-)

Mark Matthews said...

When I look at your training, I see a PR that starts with a '2'. You'll be smashing that Disney PR to pieces soon. Godspeed.

Canuck Mom said...

Erin you will succeed!! I can feel it. I agree. You need to set big goals and always leave room for "what if". I always dream big and go big!! Also huge thanks for sharing you info on your belly issues. I too have these issues terribly, starting at mile 6. I find Immodium and going Gluten free has helped me a lot. However, when it hits it is awful. The cramps and agony are no fun. I am grateful I am not alone on this. The hardest part for me is fueling. I can not use GU's or things like that are they get my belly very upset. So I often have to carry natural treats and finding the right stuff is hard. What do you fuel with for those lengthy runs?

emlizalmo said...

I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait! I will be thinking of you all morning. I just have a feeling the sub 3:10 is going to happen. It's time for all your diligent work to pay off. I bet it will be one of the best runs of your life. GO ERIN!!!

Cory Reese said...

Cool - I'm excited to hear Chrissie's book is out! Can't wait to read that one.

I know you will do awesome. If you do happen to get a little unplanned break along the course, just use it to catch your breath and then get back to cruising. Good luck!

Kortni said...

This does seem like your race and cannot wait to read about your SUCCESS! Your preparation has been amazing to follow and so inspiring! Wishing you a strong race!!

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

i am so excited for you erin! cheering for you all the way from VA. your story is tremendously inspiring - you have worked so HARD to get to this point and I know you are going to continue to achieve great things! sending you lots of love!! xo

Happy Running Mama said...

I can't wait to read about your race! I am also reading Chrissie Wellington's book and loving it. Both you and Chrissie are an inspiration!

As for GI issues, I've been there, too. Not fun and so frustrating to lose time to pit stops. What helped me in my last two marathons was to take 2 immodium an hour before the start. Obviously, you shouldn't try this for the first time on race day and I'm sure you've already tried all kinds of things. (But it actually didn't help at all during my last half-marathon and almost ended in a disaster on the course!!)

Anyway, best of luck to you. You've put in all the work and I hope it all comes together for you on race day!

Kristen

Natalie R. said...

Go for it! Have fun with BFF, and enjoy the day on Saturday.

Terzah said...

Best of luck, Erin! As always I'm rooting for you!

Bo said...

From your last post, I'd have to add "No pain, no gain" to the list.. it my father's mantra to me when i was younger. Also, no matter what mile I'm on, I like to tell my brain i just started my run, it helps trick me into feeling less tired!

Go give it all and smash that PR on Saturday Erin! I'll be rooting for you from Korea. :)

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
Friedrich Nietzsche

coach dion said...

Now listen here, you don't need to be 'aggressive' you've done the training and from what I've read if you were going to be aggressive you would be aiming at 2h55!!! but if you aim at 3h10 that should be easy, and you can be relaxed.

No stress need before the race. I'm not saying that if you go through half way in 95 at 20 miles you wil be strong enough to speed up (but you might be), but 95 at half way should be easy, and you don't need to worry about the 2nd half, that will just happen...

Good Luck

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I can't wait to see your time. I will be trying to PR in our local 15 miler:) charleston distance run!! Have fun with your friend:) carol- WV

fancy nancy said...

Ha! That sucker is way outdated!! I'm so excited for you!!! Go out and rock that race!!

Vicky Cook said...

Excited and a little nervous for you! I'm sorry you have to give time away for toilet breaks, that sucks, fingers crossed you get that 'miracle' run and don't have to. Good luck! Remember the race is the party you get to throw for yourself after all that hard work, try to enjoy it!

Meredith said...

I'm so excited for you! Have an amazing day!!

Bill Fine said...

Erin, you've definitely put in the time and the training. All that's left now is for you to enjoy the parade!

I know you're going to KILL IT, but I still wish you a wonderfully successful weekend, and I'll be cheering you on from across the country. Can't wait to read your writeup, 'cause I could use the motivation!

Onwards!!!

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

You have trained hard and I can't wait to see what you do. I have faith in you!

Atha said...

Pulling for you as always Erin! You've got this!!!

monicac2 said...

Wow!! So exciiiiiiiittttiiiinnng! I can't wait to read all about your race. Go get 'em!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine had lots of GI issues while running, and had her husband give her a blessing for it. Faith and the priesthood won't necessarily cure it, but it can bring lots of peace regardless. :)

Run hard and be strong!! You can do this Erin!! :)

Janaenay said...

So excited for you to have an awesome PR! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

It's been a while. I was SO excited to see you featured in RW magazine. In fact I clipped out your pic and put it on my fitness cork board that's right in front of my treadmill....motivation! Congrats and I hope you stomach will calm down. You'll do so great. BTW, I changed my domain from runningtobeskinny.com to sweatismysanity.com You may want to update it on your MMM post. :) xo, Jessica Washburn

Anonymous said...

Good luck today! Just want to say- isn't it nice to say 4 miles easy! We all remember a time that 4 was not easy- cant waitbto read about ur race. Off to run the Charleston distance run! Hills and flats! Carol-wv

Yolanda said...

I am so totally pumped for you and anxiously awaiting your next update!

Enjoy your race, have fun, be relaxed, and kick this race in the pants!

Mark Matthews said...

Enjoy yourself tomorrow!

Errr, um,,, Or is it today?

Enjoy both days, just to be safe.

Abbey{RUNS} said...

You did so awesome! Can't wait for a detailed race report!

brg said...

I'm sure you'll have a great marathon. Looks like you'll have decent running weather. I predict another PR.

Terzah invited me out to lunch with you guys - but sadly I'll be in Aspen running a half trail marathon. Sorry to miss out on meeting all the 'cool kids'.