Friday, August 24, 2012

Fast Friday

It's Friday! I survived the week. Here is what has been going on around here.

- These four started high school on Monday. Somehow, at the ripe old age of 35, I have FOUR KIDS in high school. Crazy. My kids are growing up way too fast and there doesn't seem to be a way to make them stop or even slow down. We have two freshman, a junior and a (gulp) senior this year. The  five elementary school kids and two junior high kids start back to school right after Labor Day, and Noah gets to stay home with me. :)

Good looking bunch, no?
- My awesome Ben turned 12. If you don't know Ben, you are missing out. He is the kind of person I want to be like. He came home to us when he was five years old and every day he has been in our family has been a blessing. His most favorite things are chocolate and soccer, so you can guess what we have had a lot of this week.

- SPORTS, sports, and more sports. Nate is playing high school football. Sadies is one of the team managers. Josh is coaching middle school football. Ryan is running high school cross country. Des is the team manager. Shane is running junior high cross country. They are BUSY. That said, I am a fan of busy teenagers. I think teenagers are like puppies - they are best behaved when they are kept busy all day and then all they want to do is eat and sleep. Keeps them out of trouble.

- August is the toughest month for me stress wise. Back to school for 11 kids is stressful emotionally, financially, logistically  and every other way you can imagine. We have had countless sport physicals, well checkups, dentist appointments, eye appointments, hair appointments, and ortho appointments on top of all the "usual" medical stuff for Noah. And don't get me started on what it costs to get shoes, clothes, back to school supplies, backpacks, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Do you hear that hollow, echo sound? That is my bank account.

- I hurt myself this week, but I am ok. :) I did something I do a hundred times a day - I picked up Noah. Noah is almost four years old, about 35lbs and has cerebral palsy and other special needs. His doctors have warned me that a lot of parents of kids with special needs like his end up with back injuries from lifting and carrying tall and heavy kids, and I am always very careful when I am lifting him. (And I do lots of core/strength training exercises to keep my core and back strong). I have never had any type of back pain at all, but I was hurrying and Noah was not cooperating... I lifted him quickly and OUCH. I had a sharp, blinding kind of pain like I have never had.

My first thought was to panic, but I stayed calm. It hurt to sit down, stand up or bend over, but I was comfortable once I got into a position. Josh worked on it for me that night, I stretched it gently and rested, and I hoped for the best. I got up the next morning and did a gentle warm up and stretching and decided to see what happened when I ran. It was fine! My back actually felt better after the run than it did before. There was still some stiffness and soreness throughout the day, but better than the day before and I didn't feel it all when I was running.

This morning I had my last long run before the Pocatello Marathon on Sept. 1. I had 14 miles, with two warm up miles, two cool down miles and 10 miles at 7:05ish in between. My back was much improved when I got up this morning from yesterday, but still not 100%. I was hoping to be able to do this long run and feel good. My back, legs, and everything else felt great the whole way. Whew. I was very relieved at the end of the run to be able to run a longer run and to run at a faster pace and feel good, and I am confident that this will won't be an issue for my race and will resolved completely in the next couple of days. Never a dull moment!

- One week from today I will be hanging out with my BFF Jennifer!! She is flying in to Salt Lake from Florida on Friday morning. I will pick her up - there will be much shrieking, laughing, and tears, and then we will drive to Pocatello to pick up our packets, meet up with some other friends, and have a restful night before the race the next morning. Besides rocking the marathon, we have big plans to get fun new pics of us together and she is coming home with me to spend the weekend at my house and get to meet Josh and the kids. YAY!

In Disney, January 2012
I have been blessed with some truly wonderful people in my life, including a couple of very special friends. For a few years though, I was really missing having a best girl friend - someone that is there for you day or night, that you can tell anything to, who completely gets you, who tells you what you need to hear, who you can laugh and cry with, who you can vent to and share secrets with, who supports you and believes in you, who is crazy fun and who you can totally be your real self with. Josh is my very best friend and my true love and soul mate, but I was really, really missing having a best girl friend. Jennifer has been an incredible blessing in my life and I am SO so excited for the days we will have together next week. And I can't wait to see her with Josh and the kids too!

- My awesome husband and son went on a 12 mile trail run this morning with our black lab, Jazz. Here is a pic of where they were running (trails a few miles south of our house.) Yes, that is still snow. These mountains we live in are high.


 and here is Jazzy cooling off after the run

- This weekend will be busy with a church pig roast/party tonight, birthday parties and family tomorrow, and church on Sunday, but it should all be lots of fun.

I will have a post coming up in the next few days about my goals, hopes, and thoughts about the race next weekend.

Have a great weekend everybody!

13 comments:

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

I am so glad your back was okay! And thanks for sharing your week with us.

Terzah said...

Good for you, babying your back. Mine always feels looser and better after running, too--one of my docs said that's because exercise sweeps out the fluid that's part of the pain. Lucky thing you are strong!

Your dog is beautiful! She must be strong, too, to keep up for 12 miles. :^)

And I'm feeling about 1/6 of your pain on the school-supply expense, routine change, prepwork stuff. But it's been really fun too.

Excited for your race!

Loren said...

I totally understand the back issue. I had some unwelcome twinges Tuesday morning, but they went away after warming up for my run. Kids are heavy, lift careful!

Bill Fine said...

I already left a comment on Jen's blog....you guys are going to have such a great time together...can't wait to read about your trip to Pocatello! Have a great week and rest that back!

Jill said...

Yikes, that's not a good thing to do to your back, lady! But glad it's okay now. Be careful!! :)

So no kiddos in middle school? That's sort of fun, in a way. The older kids I bet are great helpers to the younger ones. My babies started their junior year on Monday...makes me sad to think that they are almost done. And yeah, if I have to write one more check for something school related, I'm going to have to go get a loan! Ugh, it's so expensive.

Happy Weekend!! :)

robinbb said...

I have hurt my back a few times and while the pain is terrible it only lasts a few days and then you almost forget it hurt. Crossing my fingers that you will be pain-free very soon.

So excited for your race and happy you get a girls weekend with Jen. Have fun!

christa said...

Sounds wonderful. I have a girls weekend coming up with 2 college girlfriends. I can't wait, we are headed to Cape Cod, I'm doing the Zooma half and they are doing the 10k!

Happy Running Mama said...

I can't imagine the logistics involved in getting 11 kids ready to do ANYTHING, nevermind camps and well checkups and various sports and school shopping! You are simply amazing!

Hope your back is 100% soon and I can't wait to read about your goals. I am just recovering from injury myself and about to start goal planning AND hire a coach! Woohoo!

Mark Matthews said...

I've been wondering when your next marathon is. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Would you believe I JUST saw this! So cool and makes me so excited!!! You are the best and I can't wait. Your back is on the mend and gonna be fine and you are going to OWN this race!!! Love the pic of the big kids and Ben's bday pic too. Can't wait to see everybody! I will gladly throw my back out loving on your sweet Noah...right after I kick his mama's butt in a 50 yard dash!!! Oh yes I did!!!!!! S M O K E.

L.A. Runner said...

I hope your back feels 100% soon. I really like the back-to-school pics. :) Enjoy your final taper week!

Laura @ Mommy run fast said...

So glad your back is fine- that must have been scary! Oh wow, back to school is stressful for everyone, I cannot imagine getting 12 kids ready. Probably good timing for a taper! Wishing you the best next weekend- so glad you have a great girlfriend to share it with!

brg said...

nothing better than a girlfriend that totally gets you. I'm sure both of you will have a great time. I'm super lucky my BFF is also my sister. I'll get to see her in NYC this week! bigtime yay!