Josh ROCKED his first 50k this weekend in just a few seconds over 8 hours. And even though the course looked like this...
|(that is elevation over 10,000 feet four times, since he started at one end of the course, ran to the other, and then had to turn around and run BACK)|
he finished looking like this...
|Love this guy!!! And I am so proud.|
Ok, as promised, here are a few of my favorite (running) things.
One of the best things about running is that you don't need much gear - you can just get up and go as long as you have proper running footwear (and if you are going more than a certain distance, especially in the summer, you should have something to drink, or somewhere to get a drink a long the way). However, there are lots of things that can make training easier/more enjoyable and some of the best products I have discovered I have come across at the recommendation of other runners. So I thought it would be fun to do a blog post on some of my favorite running "things" -shoes, clothes, gear, etc. I have included lots of pics and links for you too.
- shoes - For most runners, the right shoes are essential, and hands down my favorite running shoes are the Brooks PureFlows. You can read my very detailed review in this post here. I have them in every color and love, love, love these shoes. They are light and fast for track work and have enough to them for my longest runs and races. They are the only shoes I wear (and have been that way for just about a year now). Here I am rockin' the purple pair in my half marathon win in July. :)
Since I am sponsored by Brooks I wear lots of Brooks gear, but I truly do love and stand by Brooks shoes and clothes, and I wore Brooks almost exclusively before they sponsored me.
- My favorite shorts are the Epiphany Stretch Short II. They are just the right length and weight, they move with you perfectly and they feel amazing. Brooks makes them in all sorts of cute colors.
- Running tops! My favorite tank, for hot summer runs or running on the treadmill in the winter, is the Epiphany Support Tank II. I have a couple of these and wear them A LOT.
There are many GREAT tops for men and women by Brooks, but my favorite (new this fall)) piece is the rockin' Utopia Thermal 1/2 Zip. I LOVE THIS and know that I will be wearing it tons once the weather cools off (which will be soon here). So warm and soft and cute.
- When it comes to socks, I am a double tab kind of girl. Low enough to be low profile, but not so low that they slip into my shoes on long runs. My favorite are the Infiniti Double tabs.
- I used to run with a Garmin 305 (trusty old Bob) but as Josh says, I ran him into the ground, and now I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 610 for about six months and I love it. I named this one Flash and it locks onto the satellite super fast (and has all over the country), I have never had trouble with losing the signal up in the mountains or in busy cities, it works super well for track workouts, the battery stays charged for a long time, it is very easy to use, and the optional velcro strap is great (and comfortable) for my little wrist. :)
|not my stats :)|
- To carry my Fluid Performance on long runs and races, I run with the Amphipod Hydraform Handheld Thermal-Lite 20 ounce bottle. It is comfortable on my hand, has a nice-sized pocket, is easy to open, close, and drink from, and is a cool color.
Yurbds. And they sound really good too. :) I am a fan!
- Whenever I run by myself, I carry a small handheld mace. I have never used it, but between the Wyoming farm dogs, the wildlife, and the unknown, I feel better having it.
- I never have been a fan of compression socks while running. I am a huge believer in compression for after a hard workout/run, but I never liked the way the compression socks fit on my feet and feel in my shoes. Last fall when my mileage started getting high, one of my shins started hurting me. It did not hurt at all when I ran and I did not feel it walking, jumping, going up or down stairs, etc. however if I pushed on it, it was very tender. I decided to try some calf sleeves, and they felt awesome and I think they really helped heal my calf. Now I use them all the time! I have tried a few brands and SKINS are my favorite.
Jennifer sent me a pair of these 110% Clutch Tights and they are incredible!!!! These tights have the best compression out of any pair I have tried (and it is quite entertaining to watch me get them on!) AND, they have pockets and fancy ice packs so you can ice while wearing your compression tights. I believe that these have really helped with my recovery times from races and tough long runs.
- I use my Powerpoint grid roller and my Stick after every run. They hurt so good and keep my muscles happy. :)
here is a post I wrote about my favorite cold weather gear back in December. :)
That's my list! What are some of your favorite running "things"?