Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wednesday thoughts

Here is one more pic from the race on Saturday. The course photographer snapped it around mile 5ish. This picture just makes me smile. It was such an awesome thing to run shoulder to shoulder with Shane and share such a fun experience with him.

Shane and Ryan (12 and 14) had both begged us to sign them up for this half marathon back in January when Josh and I were signing up. I tried to talk them out of it but they both really wanted to and were confident they could. We agreed, under the conditions that they prepared well for it, and that they would not argue with me if I decided they weren't ready when it was race time. I really wanted it to be a good experience for them if they did it, and I am very much not a pushy parent. I like my kids to be active and involved, but I want them all to find their own passions and talents. Out of our 12 kids, these are the two that are interested in running. (Sadies, my oldest, is a natural runner, but she likes the shorter track events, like the 300m hurdles. She's awesome!)

Shane and Ryan both ran on a Ragnar relay team in June and they both ran 2-3 times a week, with one longer run each weekend (finishing with a 12 miler). They did great! After each run we evaluated how they were feeling and both of them were always happy and confident and excited for the race. I was so impressed at how well they did. (They made it look too easy actually!) I could not be more proud of them.

I knew that Ryan would pace himself well and walk when he needed to, but I was a little worried that Shane (who is way more competitive) would push himself too hard and burn out. He did a really good job pacing himself though and both boys felt great at the end and really enjoyed the experience.

The only bummer was that despite running a 1:33:00 at age 12, Shane did not win a thing! His age group was 10-24, and the top three finishers were all in his age group (college and high school runners). I told him he won some major bragging rights though! :)

I know that we live in a pretty remote area, but if you are looking for a summer half marathon next year with cool running temps, gorgeous scenery, a fabulous course, perfect organization, nice swag, incredible support, an awesome home-town/family feel, and a worthy cause, the Star Valley Half Marathon is a wonderful race. And all of the pics I have posted they provided for free.  The Kunz family do an amazing job, and have found a beautiful way to honor and carry on the memory of Jeremy.

Plus if you come, you can hang out with me. :)

Things have been great since the race. I had an easy recovery run on Sunday and have had two speedwork days since then. Today I did 11 miles total on the track with 6x1 mile repeats. I usually do this workout on the roads but decided to mix it up today. It was a mental challenge and a tough workout, but it was also really fun. My mileage is building back up, I am at "full strength" with my core and strength training, I have started doing visualization, I am focused on my nutrition, and I am working hard. I love, love, love the feeling of being in full training mode. (If you are looking for a great ab workout for runners, check out this one from Kara and Shalane. Thanks Nancy for sending it to me! I have added this to the end of my regular core workout and can definitely feel it!!)

There are six and a half weeks until the Pocatello Marathon. My BFF Jennifer is coming from Florida to run it as her first marathon and the weekend is just going to be amazing and fun. Josh and the kids will be able to be at the finish line (yay!) Pocatello was my first half marathon and was my first BQ race, and I love it. I am doing everything I can to get my body and mind ready to run a great race in Pokey. Winning the half marathon on Saturday definitely gave me a confidence boost.

How is your running going? What are you training for?  More soon!

"The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare."— Thane Yost 

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work." — Stephen King



21 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh! There should have been an under 18 category!! But STUNNING job to your son! I love that pic! I love running with my son too (he's 11). It's amazing how strong they get as they grow!

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin!
What were your recovery intervals between your 1 mile repeats? And do you jog those or walk? I'm new to speed work and just wanted your thoughts! LOVE your blog. So inspirational in every way!
Jamie in Arkansas

Yolanda said...

Erin, very cool to run with your family and all to do exceptionally well.

I am training for my second half marathon and am just starting to do speed work on the track. Back in the winter when i was in my training for my first half, i did speed work only thru fartleks. I am finding out that I enjoy the 400 runs.

Amanda@runninghood said...

Nice job to your son!! So stinking cool!!

Julia said...

i love that pic of you all!!! how fun that they ran the half and absolutely dominated! wowww! that is a great time! you are doing so well right now and are so strong! im so excited for you!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

So stinking' excited! What is this visualization thing? And Coach Rick may be there?!?! Oh, the pressure!!! Dang girl you're killing me :-)

Beth @ Miles and Trials said...

That is so cool that your sons trained and did so well at the race. It's great that you get to share running with them. I hope that some day I can run a race with my kids, but they aren't too interested at this point, and that's fine with me, they have their own interests. The next six weeks is going to fly by and you will be SO ready for Pocatello!

Zaneta said...

That's awesome that your boys wanted to run the half marathon! Shane did AWESOME!! It's too bad his age group was so extreme though!! Someone should give that boy a medal!! :) That picture looks like you guys had fun!! :)

Laura @ Mommy run fast said...

That's too bad he was grouped with all those speedy older kids, but he'll be one of them in a few years! Thanks for sharing that core workout video, I need to mix up my routine.
So glad you're feeling encouraged and confident again- your marathon plans sound so fun with your best friend and hopefully coach!

Gracie said...

Your kids rock. I think they're at a good age for the distance; you can tell by their times! Honestly I think even a 9 or 10 year old could happily complete a half, though with some walking. Congrats to them again.

Jill said...

That picture makes me smile, too - LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! You look like you're really flying!!

Your son did fantastic, wow! He is learning how to fly just like his momma :). Congrats to him!!!

coach dion said...

Nice pic of the 2 of you.

Now you ask about my running and yes it's going well, but the log book only tells half the story, I'm a little stressed at the moment and it's just over a week to a big trail race. I think I'm going to have to race the half this weekend so as to 'burn' off the stress... hope it helps...

I love racing.

coach dion said...

Nice pic of the 2 of you.

Now you ask about my running and yes it's going well, but the log book only tells half the story, I'm a little stressed at the moment and it's just over a week to a big trail race. I think I'm going to have to race the half this weekend so as to 'burn' off the stress... hope it helps...

I love racing.

Amy Lauren said...

Shane did awesome with his half, and that age group thing is just not fair at all. They should never lump junior high and high school aged kids in with college kids like that, it's two completely different training regimens and kids' bodies are still growing and changing at that age. Way to go on running those mile repeats on the track!

L.A. Runner said...

I'm still impressed with Shane's run! Maybe you could get your hands on a copy of the photo and have it framed for his room? Or maybe some sort of medal holder for his finisher's medal? I don't know. I hate it that he won't have a "token" to remember his great race by. :)Congrats to BOTH your sons for running so well!

Way to go on the repeats. When I saw your FB post asking about road vs track, I was about to SCREAM "road." That's the track-hater in me coming out. Hahah. I'm glad you rocked them. Keep up the good work!

SupermomE12 said...

Jamie - I did 2 minute rest intervals with the one mile repeats. :)

Carrie said...

Great picture! Your whole family is fantastic...but I think you know that! ;-)

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

I agree with the idea for an 18 and under age group. But yes, he can brag!!

I am training for my second and third marathons. I am keeping both in mind since one is in September and the other is in December. I need to come out of the September race strong and ready to keep training. My dream is to break a 4 hour marathon with one of these.

I would love to say all is going well but I am battling some mental hurdles due to me having to stray from my training plan and as much as I know I can get back on board and train well, I have doubts lingering.

robinbb said...

Your kids, like you, are amazing. Congrats again on an awesome race. I can't believe Pocatello is already only 6 weeks away, this summer just flew by. I am going to check out that ab workout right now, thanks for sharing!

Just Plain Jackie said...

Considering Atlantic City in October, but otherwise Vegas in December is bought and paid for. :)

Candice said...

It was fun meeting you!