Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tuesday Tangents

Things are SO BUSY here. Every time I think I will have a few minutes to sit down and write, either someone needs something, the phone rings, someone is at the door, something needs to be done, or the kids are finally settled for the night and then I fall asleep. :)

I have a couple of "real posts" in the works, and thanks so much for all of the wonderful feedback on my "In My Head" post. For now, here are some random tangents from what has been going on here.

- We got a kitten a couple of weeks ago. Amanda (11, came home from South Korea when she was almost two) has wanted a kitten for her entire life. We finally gave in, and there has never been a happier girl in the history of the universe. The kitten's name is Figaro Waffles. Figaro from Pinnochio, and Waffles from Catscratch. We call him Figgy. He is super sweet and very little work. His paws almost never touch the ground since he is always being carried around or is in a lap.



- Summer goes by way too quickly. My big kids go back to school in less than a month now. Crazy!

- I have been reading some great books! I just finished reading Kara Goucher's Running For Women. I have not been a big fan of this type of book lately since I read a lot of them when I first started running, and now I usually read books like this and feel like I am reading the same advice over and over. But I SO enjoyed Kara's book. She gives a ton of awesome advice that is relevant to new runners and advanced runners alike, and she shares lots of her own personal stories and experiences. You feel like you are sitting down and chatting with a good friend (who happens to be an Olympic marathoner!) I love reading about her life, her training, her races, her thoughts... I have always been a Kara fan, and this just made me an even bigger Kara fan. I can't wait to watch her race in London!

One of my favorite quotes from this book "Although I had run like a rookie, I felt amazingly at home in the race, as though I had finally discovered what I'd really been born for. Discovering the marathon was like falling in love with running all over again. I had found my best and favorite place in the sport." - Kara Goucher, after her first marathon, NYC 2008

Yay for the marathon!

If you want some more of Kara, here is a great interview with her on Youtube and here is a great article about her and her Olympic medal quest.

I am listening to Chrissie Wellington's "A Life Without Limits" on my IPOD during some of my runs. Chrissie in an absolutely incredible athlete, and her story is just inspiring and motivating on so many levels. I am really enjoying this one. My favorite quote so far is -
"Hard work and an open mind– it’s the only way to realize the potential that is inside every one of us." Chrissie Wellington

And I am reading Alberto Salazar's "14 Minutes". I am not very far into it yet (because I read a couple of pages and have no control over falling fast asleep), but it definitely has me hooked. Alberto is a legendary runner and coach, and his story is incredible.

- The Pocatello Marathon is in 5 1/2 weeks. How did that happen? I am working hard!  One of the quotes from Kara's book is about the different coaches she has had and how different they have been but how the most important thing in a coach-athlete relationship is trust. She says, "Trust is a gut feeling. You cannot predict who you will and won't have faith in. Personal recommendations, track records of success, credentials, and sensible training systems are good things to consider when choosing a coach. But the feeling of trust should be the deciding factor. Trust that feeling!"

Next week will be a big week of training. I have a great feeling about Pocatello!

- Since more often than not I am running alone in the early morning and rarely see another person, I don't usually care too much about my running outfits. I have a pile of my favorite Brooks shorts and a bunch of favorite Brooks tops (and a couple of Champion ones) that I choose from, and then I have my calf sleeves, socks, and I am always rotating through several pairs of PureFlows. I have never really had a favorite pair of PureFlows before but I am loving this purple pair (even though I am usually more a green/aqua girl than a purple/pink girl). Since I won the half marathon in them they feel really lucky. :)

Today I was quite coordinated for my track work out (8 miles total with 5x800m repeats in 2:53, 2:57, 2:57, 2:55, 2:56) so Josh snapped a pic of me when I got home. It had been pouring rain and windy for the first half of the run, but then the weather improved. :)

- Josh and I are getting a quick getaway this weekend! Ok, so it will only be for 24 hours, but I will take it! Josh is competing in the Spudman Olympic distance triathlon, and since his awesome sister offered to stay overnight with the kids, I will get to go and cheer him on! I stayed home with the kids last year (the race is over three hours from our house) so I am really excited to go spectate and be there for Josh. We have several friends competing as well. This will be the first time I get to see a triathlon in person and I am way excited to support Josh and have a little time alone together. It's going to be great! (And no, even though people ask me all the time, I will not be doing any triathlons. I am a one-trick pony). :)

 - I will leave you today with one more awesome quote that one of the wonderful runners I am coaching sent me. More soon, including a post on my favorite running "things". :)

"Running affords the perfect integration of body and spirit. It makes for a fullness of life." - Sister Marion Irvine, the oldest woman to qualify for U.S. Olympic Marathon trials (she was 54 when she ran the 1984 Trials)


10 comments:

Gracie said...

Sister Irvine is amazing!!
I love how your kids "Came HOME from..." So true! So sweet!

Carissa @ Sole Sisters Running said...

Your one-trick pony comment made me laugh. I consider myself the same but then I got an overuse injury and started doing spin three times a week. This weekend I bought my first road bike. I'm so thankful that falling in love with endurance running has given me confidence to try something new. :)

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Ummm, I'm afraid that one too many of those phone calls is ME! Ha!!! So excited for you and Josh this weekend...how FUN!!!

giraffy said...

I love the kitten's name!!!

Have a great 24 hours away :D

Terzah said...

I'm so glad you get to get away with Josh and cheer him on!! Have fun, and good luck, Josh!

Jill said...

Oh, how cute is that kitten and love the smile on your daughter's face - she's in heaven! I love carefree kittens :).

So cool you're getting a weekend away - along - with the husband. I know you're going to make a great cheerleader! Have a blast!!

L.A. Runner said...

Great job on the 800s! :) I'm glad you are feeling sharp 5 weeks out.

Have a fun time with the hubby. I'm sure it's really hard for you guys to get "couple time."

Once A Runner said...

Wow!! Great job on those Yassos! Woot!!! yeah for the kitty! She looks so happy. Enjoy the weekend away!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your blog and admire all you are able to accomplish with such a fantastic attitude. I was wondering how many hours of sleep you require a night and how you are able to get up at 4:15 to run?

Momshomerun said...

I know the feeling you describe at the beginning of your post, about wanting to do something only to be interrupted again and again. Right now I've snuck into my office, so they don't know where I am, and can't ask me stuff...